Major Problem w/ 96 250 E/XC

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
Oh, I know, you just gotta put the thing in the other thing, tap it with a hammer, add new gas and oil and voi la. Instant fix.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Most bikes of that model, make and year do that. It's perfectly normal.

Also, I have lots of experience, so just trust me on this one.

Joe Chief

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
ESPECIALLY in those riding conditions with that caliber of riding. I agree. And that other thing, ppssshh, oh man.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
No NO No, its gotta be that seal, look at the facts they lead right to it. I would go down a size on that piolet, might be running rich also. As for those riding contions, cmon ive seen worse ;)

Dude we will help you, ask a Question!

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
Come on guys.... don't mislead him - You all know he can't fix THAT thing without fixing the OTHER thing first.

If he tries to fix THAT thing first, then THIS thing wouldn't work and he would STILL have to fix the OTHER thing anyway... I would even guess THOSE things may even be damaged by fixing THAT thing first... Then what ? :eek:

So do what I say... Fix the OTHER thing first, then THAT thing will be eaiser to get to and fix, THIS thing will still work... and THOSE things just clean and replace. :) :) :)

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
I don't know man, usually its the hydro-static tester valve control arm actuator lever. Those have been known to go on that model, either that or its the conducter control current leader wire isolator causing a short and the not starting problem.

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
I never thought of that... May even be connected to the relative bearing or the chow line...

EZ-Rider

~SPONSOR~
Nov 20, 2000
Ignore those guys I'll try and help you. Based on what you've told us I'm sure it's either the silencer bearings or the powervalve fluid, replace the bearings first and let us know how it works. ;)

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
EZ-Rider

What are you smoking? "Silencer bearings" ? I can't imagine those going bad without the power band coming apart. I do agree with you the powervalve fluid should be replaced.

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
I'd use 98w-103 octane for the powervalve fluid, and like 250'er said, you gotta strap down that power band, or use pop rivets so it doesn't come apart... There was a recall on the band that you might have missed.

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Na guys I'm leaning towards a bad LDI sensor. If he is having problems then it is no doubt the LDI sensor. I would replace all swingarm & muffler bearings, and while your replacing the bearings you might as well bore your crank bearings .001'' so you don't ever have to replace the powervavle fluid. the LDI sensor is connected to the power bands so you might have trouble removing it with the O.E.M KTM bands so just saw them out and replace then with aftermarket FMF ones and set them for high tension. After you do all this I GAURENTEE your KTM will be running like a CR250.

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
But if you really want to get your CR250-like running KTM to run RM250ish, then you need to re-pack and groove out your muffler weld stator bearing LCD. You do have to remove the power band to re-pack the weld stator bearing LCD though, the band holds on the piece with back pressure from fork tranny fluid. Since she will be running hot after this procedure, you have to retard your rear axel to cool her down.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I agree with Stew. If you want to get your CR-like KTM to run like an RM, you will have to 'retard something'! :eek:
Oops, I may have started something here! :confused:

Stew312

Jul 8, 2002
I think aanson is getting more help than he bargained for. I guess you need it when you have a power lifter hydro-hanger valve problem like he does.

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001
IMO i think it was those 2 loose nuts that keep banging off the gas tank, I hear they can do alot of damage.

jboomer

~SPONSOR~
Jan 5, 2002
aanson, hey man, don't let these guys mess with you. They don't know any better. I'm very "experienced." What can I help you with?

Joepro9

Feb 17, 2001

he never asked a question, and the post before mine asked him too also. We are all willing to help.

RM250'er

~SPONSOR~
May 25, 2001
The bike isn't your only problem, your computer must not be working either...

Are you going to ask a question or did we solve the problem already? :)

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…