danjerman

Aug 15, 2000
Ok here's the deal., over the past two months I have been rebuilding my entire engine, tranny and all. Just last weekend I split the cases and found no problems with the transmission, but the crank does need to be rebuilt, so here comes my dilemma. When I split the cases the crank stuck on the the left hand side, the flywheel side. It won't move out and I believe it's not supposed to come out easily without a press. Also, when I split the cases the right, main crankshaft bearing stuck on to the crankshaft. To sum things up for you now, my crankshaft is stuck in the left hand case with the right main bearing attached to the crankshaft. Now, when I get the crankshaft rebuilt, I plan on asking the guy to remove the crankshaft from the case, because, like I said, I believe it has to be removed with a press (correct me if I'm wrong). Then when they remove that, he'd also have to remove the right main bearing (if thats possble w/o damaging it) because its stuck on the crankshaft, maybe the left one too if that one sticks as well. Now when I get this crankshaft rebuilt, and have all the bearings seperate, and both the cases seperate as well, am I going to be able to assemble EVERYTHING without the use of a press? Do I have to have someone press on the main bearings to the crankshaft or into each side of the crankcase, or do they just pop in? Do I have to have someone press the crankshaft into one side of the case in order to reassemble the cases?

Sorry for being so long but Thanks

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
no need to apologize for being long , excellent description of what your up to and against.

this is what I would do,

if youhave a steering wheel /harmonic balancer puller for a car see if you can get that set straight against the crank so you can push it out. If it looks like you can bolt up the puller and push out the crank straight, heat up case around where the bearing is too about hot to touch but not hot enough to burn and push the crank and bearing out of the case.
Ask crank rebuilder to remove bearings when he rebuilds ,and buy new main bearings.
Freeze your new bearings and crank overnite, assemble trans in the one side <every bike that I owned I did it on the right side but I believe some bikes need to be done on the left side> again heat up the case around where the bearings set, drop in new bearings, I like to give just a small tap on the outer races of the bearings with a small hammer and punch just to hear that solid sound that they are seated lay your gasket or schmear your sealant and place in the crank. The hard part should only be making sure your putting the case down straight and the trans shafts are lining up,You shouldn't need any force at all to get less than a 1/4 gap of your cases if you use the screws to close the gap make sure that you snug them down evenly in a crisscrossing pattern and that the gap is indeed getting smaller and evenly tighten. Then I like to use a broomstick as a punch and just give a tap around each bearing boss to make sure all is seated. Check crank to spin free and smooth and every bike I have done always rested at top towards top dead center<two strokes not sure if counter balanced four strokes will do that>. Rotate the trans shafts for smooth and free install kickstarter idler gear and shifting mechanisms and rotate shafts making sure you have nuetral and every gear.
I only have done maybe 15 cranks on my friends and mine bikes but I have never had an issue on our yamahas and suzuki's as explained. Not sure if any other brands recquire a specific step.

Top Bottom