Making a DRZe street legal in Cali?

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Guys,

I'm in Missouri, and I'm planning a move to Cali. I've currently got an '00 KDX 200, but I thought I might do well to replace it before moving out. I'm under the impressions that 2-strokes in Cali are a bit harder to deal with (red sticker issues), and I want something that I can dual-sport for a commuter. I also thought the larger fuel range of a 4 stroke might come in handy in the desert.

I'm going to be picking up an '00 DRZ 400 E this weekend. I'll actually be working a trade involving my KDX for the DRZ. I've seen the updates about '02 and older bikes being green stickered now. That's good news. (BTW...is this four strokes only, or would my '00 KDX fall under there as well?)
However, I'm wondering what I will need to do to get this DRZe legal on the street? It's currently in Wisconsin, and has street plates there. I'll prolly title and register it in MO before I leave, so I might be able to get street plates on it here as well.

However, WI and MO aren't CAli. What issues will I have/need to address to make this a legal dual-sport bike? I've got a couple of street bikes, but I want something a little more universal for commuting around the urban jungle (LA area). Initially I was looking at a KLR 650, but I think I'm going to give the DRZe a shot.

Thoughts, suggestions, anecdotes or help?

I thought this forum might yeild better results than the Dual-Sport forum, which appears to be pretty dead.  My apologies if this assumption was an error on my part.

Thanks,

Brandon

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
I just talked to the guys at Trick Dualsport, getting a kit for my father in law's xr400, he's got plates for both his ktm 4 strokers AND his daughters cr80.

You shouldn't have any problems with the drz.

every bike, 2 or 4 stroke are green stickered, 02 and earlier.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
If it was registered as off road out of state, it'll need a brake and light inspection done. You might have to find a dealer that does them, most do. You need DOT lights, signals, horn, tires and a mirror. With all that you should be able to get it to pass, the bike can be made street ready.

bmonnig

~SPONSOR~
Nov 10, 2002
Elk,

Thanks for the info.  If you don't hear this enough, you're a valuable and appreciated resource.  Even among "nobody-s" like me.  :thumb:

I picked up the bike today.  I've got the Wisconsin title in my hand, and nowhere does it say "off road use only", or anything like that.  It does say "previously titled in TN".  I'm going to get it titled in my name here in MO.

Getting it street legal in MO appears to be quite easy.  I stopped by a local Conoco on the way home, and asked their inspection staff.  In addition to typical stuff (brakes on both ends, exhaust, etc) I need:

1) headlight

2) brakelight

3) horn

4) at least 1 mirror.

I asked about signals.  They said "If it came from the manufacturer with them, you need them.  If it didn't, make sure you know the proper hand signs."  :)  They also didn't care about tires, even when I asked point blank..."Yeah, you can run knobbies on the street."  Not sure about that "FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY" printed on the sides, though.  heh heh

That being said, all I'll need for CA (according to your list) is DOT signals and tires.  What about passenger footrests?  I saw this listed somewhere for CA.  I don't want to carry a passenger on the bike, and woe is the sorry SOB who gets stuck back there.  :laugh:

Also, the VIN of the bike has a "3" in the 8th digit.  I know this would have been a red/green sticker issue, but it is not any more (bike is '00 DRZ 400 E).  Will this have any effect on getting plates for the bike in CA?  Will getting the bike plated in MO first be a help, a hindrance, or have no bearing whatsoever?

I apologize for the questions Elk, and I appreciate the time you take to answer them.  I just want to make sure I don't get to CA only to find I can't take this bike on the road.  That's 1/2 the reason I bought it.

Thanks.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Actually it may help if it's plated already, it may just need the vin verification which the chp does for you. Nobody is just a nobody here bro, ask away, no bother. If you pm me the vin I may be able to run it by my dmv folks and give you a heads up as to what will happen. If it is street registered already, you usually don't need a brake and light inspection here cause it is assumed it already complies, you may slide by. If you can't pm me the vin, then post it for me and delete it later.;) I'll be in the office later tomorrow or Tuesday for sure.

Top Bottom