Jeffro426

Mar 16, 2003
Guys/Gals, ive got a problem...i currently have a 01 YZ426 and i like the bike...great power, good suspension, a bit on the heavy side but did i mention the great power?!? Anyways, ive been contemplating switching back to a 2 stroke or a newer 450(not the yz450 though as i do not like the 4 speed). I ride alot of motocross and sometimes trails, but when the going gets tight, the 426 just plain feels like a tank. The weight just tears me up on a track and im lucky if i can get 3-4 good laps without having to slow down and regain my lost strength....which leads to the conclusion that switching back to a two stroke might be a good thing in my favor as they seem to be quite a bit lighter. Ive been eyeballing an 03 CR 250 that they have at the dealer and also an 03 CR 450 that they have. Now, would the 450 be much of a difference between my 426?? My main concern is that im going to hop on the 250 and find out that it just doesnt cut it motor wise to my 426...has anyone recently made a similar switch, and if so, what kind of results are you getting??

VB Racing

~SPONSOR~
Jan 26, 2004
I went through the same things you are going through. I bought a 00 WR400 in late 99, because the 4 strokes were "so much better" than the 250 2 strokes. After a year of trying to adapt to the top heavy and slow turning WR( that I turned into a YZ with the wr trans) I gave up and bought a new 01 KX250. I felt much more comfortable on the 2 stroke. In late 2002, however, I decided that I needed to get used to the 4 strokes, because they are " the wave of the future". I bought a new 2003 WR 450. Even though the 450 was much more powerful, and a much better bike than the 2000 WR 400(lighter, better handling, better ergonomics) I still found myself disliking the bike. I basically made the WR450 into a YZ also with a WR gearbox, and electric start. This spring I found a basically new 2001 KX250, and bought it up immediately , and sold my WR. I REALLY like my 2 stroke bike much better than either of my 4 strokes. I have friends that have YZ-f's and CR-f's, both 250 and 450, and I ride them for fun, but definitely don't miss them. They all seem heavy and slow (even though they aren't slow) and they do seem to wear you out faster.
That being said , however, 4 strokes I do believe are the way of the future, like it or not. We are going to be forced to get used to them, because the 2 stroke bikes days are numbered. I will always ride a 2 stroke until that day comes though.
You will find there will be alot of guys that disagree with me, and it may just be a matter of adapting. I have trouble adapting to the 4 stroke bike. My 2 cts :)

Top Bottom