May 10, 2007
make sure you can make trails as in you have premission. second mark where you want to go. make sure its doable. then i try to cut out most of the pricker bushes as in things that can snag you. cut some of the big logs in the way. then just ride it.

also make sure that where you are riding erosion wont destroy the area.

Moparman1539

Sep 9, 2006
and if you walk it out on foot before you actually make it, don't make it a slow first gear trail.. What you think may be a long straight on foot will end up ending really fast on a bike...

make sure you have permission, Have fun.. And tear out them jigger bushes... I HATE them!! they hurt every single time.. Especially when they hit you in the fact (never again will i leave them there...)

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
We generally just cut fallen trees with a small chainsaw and maybe trim some saplings. Most of our trails are lower speed, usually second gear. For the tight areas it helps to cut in some ruts in the corners. I try and shred the corners until it starts to feel like the bike wants to settle into the corner. If you know an alcoholic who doesn't own a helmet, ask if you can borrow his quad for a bit. :nener: Seriously, a quad can be a good tool for setting up nice corners in the woods. Other than that just ride em as much as possible, the more a trail gets ridden the more rideable it becomes(usually). Have fun. :cool:

Akira

Aug 29, 2003
Ride into the woods and back out and repeat. Keep doing that in the directions that you want your trail to go. Anything you do not want go around or remove from path.

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
Don't make your trails too wide or straight. The trails I cut this spring are now too easy to ride. On some I'm throwing the logs back on them.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
medwaste said:
Don't make your trails too wide or straight. The trails I cut this spring are now too easy to ride. On some I'm throwing the logs back on them.

Lol, we do that too.

bclark001

Sep 12, 2007
yea I just made some trails behind my pole barn in the woods i just walked it out and threw dead branches down to mark the side of the trail then run through it a few times to get your lines and if its hard-pack dirt loosen up the corners with a ho or shovel then I just went around slow and if it was a left turn force all your weight on the right peg and give it hell and you will have some nice corners before you know it and for some little jumps or whoops remove dirt from one spot and throw it in front of it and then they will just make themselves after you start it a little the funnest part is making the trail and try to leave some alternate route ideas open cuz it will get boring fast like others said so try to make it very difficult and technical it will be more fun and you will become a better rider also try to make obsticals you see out on your normal riding trails to practice on and it also helps to dial your clickers in.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
We frequently use a back-pack leaf blower in the fall to clear a new path. It works well; we blow the leaves, small rocks & sticks into the ruts developed on the old trails. We also move logs, sticks, rocks, and other natural debris to help "direct" people the direction we want them to go. Of course surveying ribbon, arrows, etc., are also helpful.

I have a tool belt I use, equipt with a folding saw, small pruning shears, surveying ribbon, and a hatchet that I use when working on the trails. If I'm cutting new trails, I'll carry large pruning loppers, and / or a small chainsaw.

Good luck; IMHO, fall is the best time to work on the trails! :ride:

KW

Top Bottom