MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
Well I do landscaping and we were cutting a law near a small creak no big deal. I felt something large hit my head but didn't know what it was and forgot about it, When I turned around to make a pass the other direction I seen what had hit me. In a knot in a large old tree there was a rather big swarm of bees. At first glance they appeared to be normal honey bees, but they were nothing I had ever seen before. When i got a little closer I noticed that these bees were HUGE! They honestly weren't much smaller then a humming bird. There were also regular sized honey bees, these things looks like a small purse dog next to a bull mastiff. Has any one seen bees like this before or know anything about them? :think:

Spine_Thrust

Oct 3, 2003
Japanese hornets?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2002/10/1025_021025_GiantHornets.html

http://www.edible.com/htmlsite/prod_list.asp?prodID=192&catID=4

As you read about these creatures, you will see that they feed on honey bees. A couple dozen JH's will destroy 1000's of honeybees in just a few hours.

If you get a chance to go back and observe what you witnessed, you will see severed heads of the honeybees that were laid to waste by the mighty hornet. What effinciency they have, eh?

shiftless

DRN MOM
Sep 30, 2000
Yikes!!Monkeymouse, did you read that about the Japanese Hornets. If that is what you saw, I dont know if I would go back to look but I might tell the proper authorities about them. Those are some nasty devils. Who are the proper authorities? I'm not sure. I guess I might call the newspaper and they can send a reporter out to check it out and if it is the Japanese Hornet, they could do a story about it so that people would be aware of the danger.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
A small but highly efficient killing machine—a hornet two inches long and with a wingspan up to three inches—lurks in the mountains of Japan. The voracious predator has a quarter-inch stinger that pumps out a dose of venom with an enzyme so strong it can dissolve human tissue.

:yikes:

Run away........run away!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
shiftless said:
. . . but I might tell the proper authorities about them. Those are some nasty devils. Who are the proper authorities? I'm not sure.
The Bee Cops. Carlo is one of them
simpsons_beeman_s.gif

MONKEYMOUSE

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2001
It seems like that would be what I seen, there isnt a great picture of them on there though. But they had the same striping as the honey bees and looked very much the same but larger (from about 6ft away I was looking lol). I won't be back there untill next week when we do that lawn again. I'll try to give and update.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
there's also the cicada killer. We had some of them hanging around our trees last year, they are the size of a small bird like you said, I didn't get too close to them-they other thing I noticed is that they were able to fly faster than I could run, so I kept my distance.

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Who the hell posts stuff like this, WTF! Gentle giants my arse. That's freaking wrong, close this thread already.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Monkey, The proper authority would be the animal control division of your police department. If these are those deadly hornets, the police will be glad to come and get rid of them. I think if a small child came upon these things and got stung, the results would be really bad.

Please call them to at least take a look. No harm will be done if you call.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom