Man-Made Disaster the Welfare State

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
It took four long days for state and federal officials to figure out how to deal with the disaster in New Orleans. I can't blame them, because it also took me four long days to figure out what was going on there. The reason is that the events there make no sense if you think that we are confronting a natural disaster.

If this is just a natural disaster, the response for public officials is obvious: you bring in food, water, and doctors; you send transportation to evacuate refugees to temporary shelters; you send engineers to stop the flooding and rebuild the city's infrastructure. For journalists, natural disasters also have a familiar pattern: the heroism of ordinary people pulling together to survive; the hard work and dedication of doctors, nurses, and rescue workers; the steps being taken to clean up and rebuild.

Public officials did not expect that the first thing they would have to do is to send thousands of armed troops in armored vehicle, as if they are suppressing an enemy insurgency. And journalists—myself included—did not expect that the story would not be about rain, wind, and flooding, but about rape, murder, and looting.

But this is not a natural disaster. It is a man-made disaster.

The man-made disaster is not an inadequate or incompetent response by federal relief agencies, and it was not directly caused by Hurricane Katrina. This is where just about every newspaper and television channel has gotten the story wrong.

The man-made disaster we are now witnessing in New Orleans did not happen over four days last week. It happened over the past four decades. Hurricane Katrina merely exposed it to public view.

The man-made disaster is the welfare state.

For the past few days, I have found the news from New Orleans to be confusing. People were not behaving as you would expect them to behave in an emergency—indeed, they were not behaving as they have behaved in other emergencies. That is what has shocked so many people: they have been saying that this is not what we expect from America. In fact, it is not even what we expect from a Third World country.

When confronted with a disaster, people usually rise to the occasion. They work together to rescue people in danger, and they spontaneously organize to keep order and solve problems. This is especially true in America. We are an enterprising people, used to relying on our own initiative rather than waiting around for the government to take care of us. I have seen this a hundred times, in small examples (a small town whose main traffic light had gone out, causing ordinary citizens to get out of their cars and serve as impromptu traffic cops, directing cars through the intersection) and large ones (the spontaneous response of New Yorkers to September 11).

So what explains the chaos in New Orleans?

To give you an idea of the magnitude of what is going on, here is a description from a Washington Times story:

"Storm victims are raped and beaten; fights erupt with flying fists, knives and guns; fires are breaking out; corpses litter the streets; and police and rescue helicopters are repeatedly fired on.

"The plea from Mayor C. Ray Nagin came even as National Guardsmen poured in to restore order and stop the looting, carjackings and gunfire....

"Last night, Gov. Kathleen Babineaux Blanco said 300 Iraq-hardened Arkansas National Guard members were inside New Orleans with shoot-to-kill orders.

" 'These troops are...under my orders to restore order in the streets,' she said. 'They have M-16s, and they are locked and loaded. These troops know how to shoot and kill and they are more than willing to do so if necessary and I expect they will.' "

The reference to Iraq is eerie. The photo that accompanies this article shows a SWAT team with rifles and armored vests riding on an armored vehicle through trash-strewn streets lined by a rabble of squalid, listless people, one of whom appears to be yelling at them. It looks exactly like a scene from Sadr City in Baghdad.

What explains bands of thugs using a natural disaster as an excuse for an orgy of looting, armed robbery, and rape? What causes unruly mobs to storm the very buses that have arrived to evacuate them, causing the drivers to speed away, frightened for their lives? What causes people to attack the doctors trying to treat patients at the Superdome?

Why are people responding to natural destruction by causing further destruction? Why are they attacking the people who are trying to help them?

My wife, Sherri, figured it out first, and she figured it out on a sense-of-life level. While watching the coverage one night on Fox News Channel, she told me that she was getting a familiar feeling. She studied architecture at the Illinois Institute of Technology, which is located in the South Side of Chicago just blocks away from the Robert Taylor Homes, one of the largest high-rise public housing projects in America. "The projects," as they were known, were infamous for uncontrollable crime and irremediable squalor. (They have since, mercifully, been demolished.)

What Sherri was getting from last night's television coverage was a whiff of the sense of life of "the projects." Then the "crawl"—the informational phrases flashed at the bottom of the screen on most news channels—gave some vital statistics to confirm this sense: 75% of the residents of New Orleans had already evacuated before the hurricane, and of those who remained, a large number were from the city's public housing projects. Jack Wakeland then told me that early reports from CNN and Fox indicated that the city had no plan for evacuating all of the prisoners in the city's jails—so they just let many of them loose. [Update: I have been searching for news reports on this last story, but I have not been able to confirm it. Instead, I have found numerous reports about the collapse of the corrupt and incompetent New Orleans Police Department; see here and here.]

There is no doubt a significant overlap between these two populations--that is, a large number of people in the jails used to live in the housing projects, and vice versa.

There were many decent, innocent people trapped in New Orleans when the deluge hit—but they were trapped alongside large numbers of people from two groups: criminals—and wards of the welfare state, people selected, over decades, for their lack of initiative and self-induced helplessness. The welfare wards were a mass of sheep—on whom the incompetent administration of New Orleans unleashed a pack of wolves.

All of this is related, incidentally, to the incompetence of the city government, which failed to plan for a total evacuation of the city, despite the knowledge that this might be necessary. In a city corrupted by the welfare state, the job of city officials is to ensure the flow of handouts to welfare recipients and patronage to political supporters—not to ensure a lawful, orderly evacuation in case of emergency.

No one has really reported this story, as far as I can tell. In fact, some are already actively distorting it, blaming President Bush, for example, for failing to personally ensure that the Mayor of New Orleans had drafted an adequate evacuation plan. The worst example is an execrable piece from the Toronto Globe and Mail, by a supercilious Canadian who blames the chaos on American "individualism." But the truth is precisely the opposite: the chaos was caused by a system that was the exact opposite of individualism.

What Hurricane Katrina exposed was the psychological consequences of the welfare state. What we consider "normal" behavior in an emergency is behavior that is normal for people who have values and take the responsibility to pursue and protect them. People with values respond to a disaster by fighting against it and doing whatever it takes to overcome the difficulties they face. They don't sit around and complain that the government hasn't taken care of them. And they don't use the chaos of a disaster as an opportunity to prey on their fellow men.

But what about criminals and welfare parasites? Do they worry about saving their houses and property? They don't, because they don't own anything. Do they worry about what is going to happen to their businesses or how they are going to make a living? They never worried about those things before. Do they worry about crime and looting? But living off of stolen wealth is a way of life for them.

People living in piles of their own trash, while petulantly complaining that other people aren't doing enough to take care of them and then shooting at those who come to rescue them—this is not just a description of the chaos at the Superdome. It is a perfect summary of the 40-year history of the welfare state and its public housing projects.

The welfare state—and the brutish, uncivilized mentality it sustains and encourages—is the man-made disaster that explains the moral ugliness that has swamped New Orleans. And that is the story that no one is reporting.

Source: TIA Daily -- September 2, 2005

-------------------------

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I personally think the time for blame is over. No matter who is to blame there is one glaring fact...

Rich, poor, middle-class, man, woman or child... they have NOWHERE to go. Nada. No place.

Some will have enough means to survive a few months, some a few weeks but the fact remains that if you lived in NO you now have no home to go to and no job to go to if you worked in the city.

Let's stop the blame game and focus on fixing the situation and helping those that need it.

Ivan

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Interesting piece, I give it :cool: :cool:

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Im all in for helping out and I am doing so. The finger pointing will go on along with the recovery/rebuilding process. This is truly a turning point in history on how disasters will be handled in the future. So the debate will be ongoing for a long time to come.

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
truespode said:
I personally think the time for blame is over. No matter who is to blame there is one glaring fact...

Rich, poor, middle-class, man, woman or child... they have NOWHERE to go. Nada. No place.

Some will have enough means to survive a few months, some a few weeks but the fact remains that if you lived in NO you now have no home to go to and no job to go to if you worked in the city.

Let's stop the blame game and focus on fixing the situation and helping those that need it.

Ivan

I pretty much said the same thing in another thread. :cool:

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Story - Help
Officials warn against hurricane aid scams By Jon Hurdle
Tue Sep 6, 2:28 PM ET

U.S. government officials warned on Tuesday that scam artists will try to profit from the outpouring of donations to aid victims of Hurricane Katrina.

After last year's Asian tsunami that killed nearly 300,000 people, the FBI investigated more than 170 Web sites that were preying on donors by mimicking the sites of well-known charities, according to Patrick Meehan, U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.

While no evidence has emerged of criminals attempting to divert money destined for hurricane victims, Meehan said authorities were on high alert.

"If the lessons of September 11th and the Asian tsunami are learned, some cold-hearted evil scam artists will use this occasion to perpetrate fraud, lining their own pockets at the expense of hurricane victims," Meehan told a news conference.

Private donors should avoid giving personal data such as social security numbers, dates of birth and bank account information to any organization that says it is seeking disaster aid, and should make sure they are giving money to a legitimate organization, officials said.

Some scam artists seek funds by adopting names that are similar to those of well-known organizations, such as "Red Shield" instead of Red Cross. Others attempt to win the confidence of the donor by thanking them for past donations.

"Be skeptical if someone thanks you for a pledge you don't remember making," said Oriey Glenn of the U.S. Postal Inspection Service, which is on the lookout for such scams.

Officials said the public should give directly to well-known organizations such as the Red Cross, rather than to an intermediary that might claim a "processing fee" to forward the donation. They also warned against organizations seeking a fee to help locate a family member caught up in the disaster.

The Red Cross said it had so far received $409.2 million in pledges from individuals, corporations and foundations.

Meehan urged people to avoid giving to Web sites whose addresses end in ".com" since most nonprofit organizations use ."org," and beware of emails soliciting donations, since legitimate charitable groups typically avoid that approach.

Donors seeking to confirm the legitimacy of a charity were urged to check the Web sites of the American Institute of Philanthropy and Charity Navigator, an organization that evaluates charities.

Copyright © 2005 Reuters Limited.

Copyright 2005 © Yahoo! Inc.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
steve125 said:
What Hurricane Katrina exposed was the psychological consequences of the welfare state. What "we" consider "normal" behavior in an emergency is behavior that is normal for people who have values and take the responsibility to pursue and protect them. People with values respond to a disaster by fighting against it and doing whatever it takes to overcome the difficulties they face. They don't sit around and complain that the government hasn't taken care of them. And they don't use the chaos of a disaster as an opportunity to prey on their fellow men.

Exactly!

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
You racists!

2stroke

Nov 7, 2001
Hmmm....any time society breaks down, there is a risk of this sort of behaviour.
If I can boil down that long post...it seems in this case it happened where there was a high concntration of crappy people who would be more prone to this sort of thing anyway.

Makes sense, and it is a rather stunning social comment.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
I will say that the people shooting at those trying to help does bother me a lot.

I did not hear about people in Indonesia shooting at us after the Tsunami and we went in to help.

Ivan

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
That article hits the nail on the head. The sad thing is, the writer will get ripped apart, blamed, ridiculed and threatened for reporting the truth because it's un-PC... or actually, un-extreme left-wing.

Zenith

Jan 11, 2001
The sad thing is, the writer will get ripped apart, blamed, ridiculed and threatened for reporting the truth because it's un-PC
The really sad thing is he wouldn't if the silent majority spoke up, but they never do :(.
Very interesting article.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
truespode said:
I did not hear about people in Indonesia shooting at us after the Tsunami and we went in to help.

Ivan
Maybe because they had even less than the poor people in NO that had nothing but a place to live, an income provided for them, water & sewer in their homes and reasonable access to food? Maybe even a vehicle, phone, etc...?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
XRpredator said:
There goes patman being an insensitive kook again . . .
It's a tough job but somebody has to do it! Besides the fact I'm well qualified... at least that's the the home loan emails I get all the time say. :laugh:

Ryone

Jun 18, 2004
Zenith said:
The really sad thing is he wouldn't if the silent majority spoke up, but they never do :(.
You're 100% right. The silent majority doesn't speak up. I've always wondered why, and I've come to my own conclusions.

We let our actions speak for us...
We don't complain about things we can change...
Silence is better than uneducated, misinformed remarks...
We know a fool when we see and hear one, and they're not worth the effort to shut them up. They'll be proven wrong in due time...

Ryan

TemeculaTim

Feb 2, 2005
truespode said:

Ivan

No, just a few spears chucked at a helicopter from some bushman. :laugh: Anyone consider how some people may actually come out of this better off than they were before the Hurricane? If you were homeless and broke, the best thing you can look forward to is relocation to a cleaner city, lots of assistance, and lots of potential goverment aid.

And before I get blamed for being insensitive, I just wanted to point out that, just like looters, some people will take advantage of this to get ahead of those who really deserve the help. I hope the financial end of the relief effort runs smoother than the evacuation did.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
If you are disgusted by the looting to date, wait until the politicians in Louisiana get their hands on the money being collected now and the 51.5 billion dollars appropriated today.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
Tony Eeds said:
If you are disgusted by the looting to date, wait until the politicians in Louisiana get their hands on the money being collected now and the 51.5 billion dollars appropriated today.

not while im eating please :ohmy:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
I didn't need to hear that Tony..... :bang: They'll make the Wal-mart raids look like childs play..... :|

steve125

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Speaking of Walmart

[MOD EDIT] Sorry Steve, but there is some adult content on that site along with the stuff you wanted to point to. [END EDIT]

Last edited by a moderator:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Tony Eeds said:
There is a TRUE prediction!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
TTim said:
Anyone consider how some people may actually come out of this better off than they were before the Hurricane?

Yup.

Top Bottom