woodsracer369

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 3, 2004
If you are looking for information ---- You came to the right place!!

Others will chime in but for starters, the map of the trails (snowmobile trails) you have is not legal for ORV use. If you have a secretary of State liscence plate and insurance any route legal for a car (seasonal road/snowmobile trail) would be legal. Be aware that sections of snowmobile trails many times are routed through private property and thus are off limits to any wheeled vehicle. It is only legal to operate an orv on designated trails and use areas, if it is not marked open for orv use it is off limits (state land). It is legal to operate an orv on any private land with the land owners permission. If your bike(s) are not plated and insured you have to stick to designated trails and areas marked for orv use or you run the risk of harrasement, tickets, bad plublicity for the rest of your dirt bikeing brothern and ultimately the closure of the legal areas we do have.

Makeshoes

Nov 9, 2004
Race_Bennett, we have a group of dirt riders out of Watervliet/Coloma area. You can stop in at Paw Paw Lake Sports in Coloma and ask for Larry in Parts. There are lots of us who make the trek "up north" to do our dirt biking. Welcome to the forum!!

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Race_Bennett said:
Ok heres the map
http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/spatialdatalibrary/pdf_maps/trail_maps/snowmobile/southwest.pdf

I can ride on snowmobile tracks right? And i can ride in state owned land?

Chime in on the spot-on info already provided. Generally the forest roads on State-owned land are open, but some of the State Game or State Recreation areas are not open (most that are closed are bermed or gated so it's more difficult to accidentally get on one).

Very few of the sled trails are going to be open near you due to the private property issue previously mentioned. That or they are on old RR Grades that are closed to wheeled motorized vehicles.

If you have a Garmin GPS, there is a free map set for it that covers southern Michigan (disclaimer: my company). It shows the certified county roads in addition to public (State Owned) land. This is a big help if you are on a plated bike since if it's a county road or a road on State land, you are legal.
You can download it from http://www.vvmapping.com (free maps section).

Race_Bennett

Jul 23, 2007
Makeshoes said:
Race_Bennett, we have a group of dirt riders out of Watervliet/Coloma area. You can stop in at Paw Paw Lake Sports in Coloma and ask for Larry in Parts. There are lots of us who make the trek "up north" to do our dirt biking. Welcome to the forum!!

Wow, 2 cities close to me, didnt know someone so close would be on here. Im in eau claire.

I should be going up to baldwin in 2 weeks . Hopefully my sleeved cylinder will be back along with my gasket kit and bearings..

So there really are not many places close by to ride in lower michigan upper indiana ?

Race_Bennett

Jul 23, 2007
Red bud's probably a 30 min drive from my house. Popular track right? Ive ridden it a couple times.

Anyway i was looking for some trails that arnt mine. or someones field lol

Top Bottom