rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Im starting too think about summer and BBQ'ing, whats you recipe for marinading a tri-tip?? Looking for new ideas.. I like marinading them in Italian dressing, insert some garlic and let sit over night, then smoke em.. Anyways, just looking for ideas..
Thanks in advance,
Rick

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Two weeks ago I tried this spice packet called McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Marinade. Just have to add a little oil and vinegar. Its really good, and can be used as a rub also. I followed the basic directions on some sirloin tips, nice change. Ate half of them marinating 1/2 hour, cooked the rest the next day , both were great. Rubbed a litttle atop some hamburger, similary great. :aj: found a link for the large bottle, don't know if the marinade instructions are on the large container: YUMMY

Uhm, what a tri-tip?

Last edited:

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Red wine, garlic and Worcester. YUMMMMMM In fact I just got back from the store and have a thick-cut sirloin marinating in it right now!

Although I use Italian dressing--the non-fat kind works really good--as a great marinade for chicken, pork and potatoes on the grill.

Last edited:

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Great ideas, can't wait too try them :thumb: I forgot too add, the Mexican market that i go too, they marinate their carne asada (grilled beef) in orange juice w/some chili powder :thumb:

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
marinade

1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup water
4 tbsps brown sugar
7 shots tabasco (heavy dashes)
3 garlic cloves pushed thru a press
1/4 cup olive oil (or veg - whatever)
1/4 tsp black pepper

fork and press the meat real good, soak in this stuff overnight. makes sure you stir it around a few times. does wonders for london broil cuts

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Gearloose: Tri Tip; is a Cali thing. Its either the top of the bottom round or the bottom of the top round, I can never remember. It is, however, pure heaven on the grill and is a crowd pleaser at many a Cali BBQ. Eddie and Aimee have them flown in now that they live in St. Louis, lol.

I second the nomination on the McCormicks Montreal Seasoning! I also like a dry rub made from various spices (salt, pepper, paprika, garlic salt, sage, cumin, rosemary, etc...) Definitely stick it with garlic slivers. Make sure you throw the fatty side down first and sear it to retain the juices.

Sometimes I chunk up the Tri tip for Shish Kebab but I prefer it in its natural state as a big slab of meat.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
hell, I just pour some beer on it and slap it on the grill.

But then I've recently graduated from holding a hunk of meat over the fire with a stick.

KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
I do a beer marinade for tri-tip and rib-eye. The following is a rough estimate, as I don’t measure when I make it, but it has always turned out great. You should adjust the soy according to taste, but don’t over do it or it will taste salty. I marinate my meat for three days in the refrigerator and then I set out the meat covered in poly wrap for 2-3 hours before I cook it to allow it to reach room temperature to aid in even cooking, as you will have a 40 degree head start in the center of the meat. Don’t worry this limited time will not cause spoilage problems.

1 - bottle of beer
1 – lemon juiced
½ - cup of soy
1 – tbsp ground black pepper
1 – tsp. Worcestershire sauce
6 – cloves chopped garlic

My friend does a dry rub of:

Garlic powder
Celery salt
Ground black pepper

It is surprisingly good, just don’t add too much celery salt, or it will be slightly bitter.

I always cook my tri-tip over a live oak fire when I can.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
I also like the "dry rub" method for tri-tips! and it is a must that you cook for 3-4 hours with indirect heat, like a smoker. Next, prepare several halved jalapenoes stuffed with creamed cheeze and wrapped with a piece of bacon (cook these over the flame until the bacon is done) then serve with your favorite light pilsner......

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
490Dave said:
I also like the "dry rub" method for tri-tips! and it is a must that you cook for 3-4 hours with indirect heat, like a smoker. Next, prepare several halved jalapenoes stuffed with creamed cheeze and wrapped with a piece of bacon (cook these over the flame until the bacon is done) then serve with your favorite light pilsner......

Mmmm...little cheezy, hot pepper bacony things.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
"Mmmm...little cheezy, hot pepper bacony things."

That you just cant stop eating.......
Oh, you're gonna pay for it though, so dont plan on eating anything for a couple days afterwards.....best load up on the Prevasid or your choice of acid reducers beforehand.

TaxPhd

Dec 29, 2003
You gotta get your terminology right. While cooking your marinated tri-tip over fire outdoors may be grilling, it isn't BBQ. BBQ is pig (in spite of any protestations by Texans wanting to include Brisket as BBQ), smoked (not grilled) for long periods of time, dry rubbed (never marinated), with or without a finishing sauce. I'll let you debate mustard vs. vinegar vs. tomato based sauce - it's all good.

Long live good 'cue!!! :-)

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
XRpredator said:
hell, I just pour some beer on it and slap it on the grill.

But then I've recently graduated from holding a hunk of meat over the fire with a stick.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup of orange or grapefruit juice
3 large cloves of garlic minced
¼ cup of fresh chopped chives

Top Bottom