Marquette 2007: Loose Moose / Mini Moose Enduros June 9-10

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
Good to see the flyer. I am thinking about attending this event, but I'm curious about the Sandstormers plans for the course. In the past all I have heard were reports on how insanely difficult the event was. I don't want to drive 8hrs to have a miserable time. I would be riding the C class and would like some opinions pertaining to last years event in regard to section length and difficulty. Thanks.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
As a former 'C' rider who did not finish the LM in '03 (houred-out), '04 (houred-out), and '05 (bike DNF), the C course in '06 was (IMO) perfect in terms of length and difficulty. The overwhelming feedback I heard from '06 C riders was that it was a lot of fun and a great experience.

You will not find this type of terrain anywhere in lower Michigan / Indiana, and the trip to Marquette is well worth it.

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
slowone said:
Good to see the flyer. I am thinking about attending this event, but I'm curious about the Sandstormers plans for the course. In the past all I have heard were reports on how insanely difficult the event was. I don't want to drive 8hrs to have a miserable time. I would be riding the C class and would like some opinions pertaining to last years event in regard to section length and difficulty. Thanks.
Only the B riders complained last year... :debil:
Actually, we pretty much nailed it for the C class riders last year -- every C rider I talked to LOVED IT!
MiniMoose riders want Moon Rocks ... Loose Moose riders don't ... that's the message we heard from last year.

FWIW, I don't think the LM is insanely difficult... it IS challenging, yet all very rideable; I think that the issue is that it really tests your endurance -- it just keeps coming at you, with little chance to just relax and ride...

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
UP Magoo said:
Only the B riders complained last year... :debil:
Watch the broad generalizations!

And yes, my MM rider was one who missed the moon rocks last year...

PoeBrian

Oct 10, 2002
Slowone,
The Loose Moose is a must race to do at least once no matter what class you are in!!! Magoo has very accurately described the race. I Finished in 05' and 06' and very much regret I did not try it the previous years. I feel Nick, Magoo and Sandstormers do an outstanding job w/this event.

Some of the bad rep. is due to the awful heat in 05'. It made it feel much more "insanely difficult" than it should have.

I think they have continually made adjustments to each years course to try to please all riders which is almost impossible.

I very much hope the boys did not go completely soft for the 07' event even though its not a National. If so then I'll be an upset B rider!!!

Care to elaborate Magoo?

slowone

Aug 4, 2006
Yeah, we know this Zambon character is full of chit. I don't think anybody is asking for an easy, just don't wanna ride a bunch of stuff that might keep me from paying the bills for a while. Riding is dangerous, been riding since I was 7yrs. old with a several year break in my early-mid 20's. I am enjoying it as much now as I did when I was a kid and don't want to end up hurt because somebody thinks they need to put on the UP's version of Last Man Standing.
On a different note, who's planning on attending this year? I am seriously contemplating attending, just gotta get some things figured out with the wife and children.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
My son (13) and I will be there early Saturday through Monday afternoon. We extended our trip last year and rode some of the course with our kids on Monday - big fun for them, and nice to play around that terrain at trail pace.

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
slowone said:
Yeah, we know this Zambon character is full of chit.
THAT will endear you to the trailboss. :ohmy:
I don't think anybody is asking for an easy, just don't wanna ride a bunch of stuff that might keep me from paying the bills for a while. Riding is dangerous, been riding since I was 7yrs. old with a several year break in my early-mid 20's. I am enjoying it as much now as I did when I was a kid and don't want to end up hurt because somebody thinks they need to put on the UP's version of Last Man Standing.
We work with the terrain God gave us. IMO, riding below da Bridge is WAY more dangerous, than up here. Dem high speed whooped out trails beget huge crashes. I'd rather tip over at 5 mph, than cartwheel into the pines at 45 mph.
On a different note, who's planning on attending this year? I am seriously contemplating attending, just gotta get some things figured out with the wife and children.
I'll be there! :)

Seriously, I really don't know where this incredible reputation about our enduro comes from. I hear all these stories about how our event is DANGEROUS, yet the most seroius injury was an injury to a rider that crashed on a ROAD (collarbone, if I remember right?). I know of several injuries at MI and IN enduros where riders have been very seriously injured, and required being airlifted out. If you're concerned about being injured, I'd avoid the enduros downstate!

We put on a good event. It is fantastic riding and terrain, some of the best in the country, and certainly not LMS stuff. But, unlike many enduros, you WILL NOT be able to stay on time... maybe that's the issue??

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I agree.... Speed + (Trees|Bolders|Cement Blocks) = Medivac

Ask the guy going 60mph across a farm field if he ever expected to hit a cement block.

Personally, I love snaking at low speed through dense event trail and technical terrain.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
What keeps me from competing in the LM is that 6' moon rock ledge I've heard C riders have to get down "is that true?"

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I just wish we could avoid the comparison of events and enjoy the ride. All clubs do the best they can with available trail and man power.
I will be in Marquette this year. I will bring a check crew for the Mini Moose and ride on Sunday.

Orangewoods

Jul 25, 2005
I just remember being very tired and at that point any terrain would have been challenging. I went back a week later with some friends from OHIO and rode the race course I kept asking Magoo, are you sure this is the whole course, where are all those really tough sections we rode in the enduro. Well we rode them all, it was awesome. Everything was twice as big, tighter a lot different when your in survival mode.
And in 05 there was the heat. People forget it was like a 100 or something that day which would make racing a jeep trail exhausting. Either way Marquette is great.

Last edited:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
70 marlin said:
What keeps me from competing in the LM is that 6' moon rock ledge I've heard C riders have to get down "is that true?"
Never was true.

The famous ledge is on the trail we call the mini-mountain. It is (in fact) a steep drop off, and not in an area where it'd surprise you. A few years ago, a bit of herd mentality developed there, when one rider balked, and other riders began thinking it was a bigger issue than it is. It became quite a parking lot there, with the riders psyching each other out. And the fish stories began -- it was reported at over 15 feet at one point!

We haven't used it since.

But, the legend lives on.... :pissed:

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
fatherandson said:
I just wish we could avoid the comparison of events and enjoy the ride. All clubs do the best they can with available trail and man power.
I will be in Marquette this year. I will bring a check crew for the Mini Moose and ride on Sunday.
Agreed.

We always enjoy having your crew "work" the MiniMoose... we're glad to have the help!

And a huge "THANK YOU" for all you do for the FES!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Magoo - Your point of reference is skewed because you're used to riding on that type terrain, and a 6' "skeery" dropoff is not something new.

Put a downstate "C" rider in that situation, one who has never come across anything even remotely close to that on ANY ORV trail, and yes, it is very intimidating. Once you do something like that a half dozen times and get over the mental part of it and build your confidence, then yes, you're "past" it, and it is not as big of a deal.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
I rode it 3 times

The LM was my FIRST enduro in 2003, I got a flat rear tire and was a dnf, but I would have probably houred out by first gas any way.

In 2004 I finished the race fulfilled that i met the challenge of the course and had a bloody face to prove it.

I was injured in 2005 and missed the 100 degree moose melter.

I finished the LM in 2006, dropped 48 points in the 16 mile last "B" section, 12 minutes from houring out and went home with a 3 rd place trophy at a National enduro. I was exhausted.

This year my daughter graduates on race weekend and I will miss the event. I will have to read the race reports afterward.

Kinda sucks having to wiat to ride another enduro until August 4th after riding the D 14 opener in April. Kinda a wierd schedule for D 14 this year.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
And the Marquette saga lives on….. :think: Wonder if the A-AA sections will be "easies" {hehehe} I'll bring block & tackle and chainsaw :cool:

The Dusendang boyz hope to be up there on Thursday to do some mountain biking.

See ya soon Trailboss,
DW

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
Hee hee I remember that drop-off. Yeah there was a bunch of riders stopped and pontificating over it when I arrived. It looked scary, but I rode down it ok. It would be very intimidating for a green C rider.

Wolverine423

~SPONSOR~
Oct 2, 2005
Smit-Dog said:
Magoo - Your point of reference is skewed because you're used to riding on that type terrain, and a 6' "skeery" dropoff is not something new.

Put a downstate "C" rider in that situation, one who has never come across anything even remotely close to that on ANY ORV trail, and yes, it is very intimidating. Once you do something like that a half dozen times and get over the mental part of it and build your confidence, then yes, you're "past" it, and it is not as big of a deal.
Last year I thought the "C & B" riders had it easy as apple pie from what I could tell… I heard this year the UP Sandstormers club members will be handing out popsicles at every check point to all the C & B and SS riders.....Ya just gota show some love for that trailboss up der.

DW

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Smit-Dog said:

I guess I am kinda skewed... :whoa:

Nonetheless, the dropoff has been eliminated for several years. We save it now for when our "special friends" visit.

DW, email me your plans -- might be able to hook up with ya for a bit...!

UP Magoo

Apr 4, 2002
Fred T said:
This year my daughter graduates on race weekend and I will miss the event. I will have to read the race reports afterward.
We'll miss you, Erin and Nate. It's always great to have you guys at our events!

Graduation is an important time in your lives; congratulations and enjoy! :cool:

Top Bottom