Marquette, MI "Loose Moose Enduro" July 15

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Sandstormers MC and ORV Club's "Loose Moose" Enduro will be July 15 this year. Key time will be 8am local time.
We've been working REALLY hard to put in some new trail, resurrect some of the "old" trail we haven't used in a while, and lay out a fun and challenging course! The A and AA riders will be especially pleased with their own special loop:p !
We'll be having a Kids/Family Enduro on Saturday July 14, at 1pm. The course will emphasize a good time for beginning and not very experienced riders -- approx. 25 miles with a 12 mph average.
Feel free to PM me if you'd like more info!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Magoo, I will be there on Friday. I will not be racing, but hope to help out pre-or post riding a section or two. Looking forward to it.
If you are interested, we are having a Spode/Trail Fest the weekend of July 20-22 (the next weekend). Let me know by posting a message on the Place to Ride forum.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
fatherandson, I look forward to meeting you! Have that 300 ready to go, maybe we can pre- or post-ride together -- a KTM300 loop! I'm not sure about the MI Spodefest, will probably only know last minute...although I'd sure like to go! We can talk about it when we meet.
orion163, yes, the race is in Sands Township. We did not make a completely new A loop. We made some new sections, and resurrected some trail that has not been ridden in several years. Hope to see you there.

yzracer49

Mar 19, 2000
Yoopers!!!

Sounds like a good time. Would love to go, but not so soon. I have family in Marquette and Palmer who ride. I'm trying to plan a trip up that way this summer. We'll have to hook up and we can do some ridding.
I learned to ride on the roads at our camp on the dead river basin in Ishpeming.

grunk250r

Nov 16, 1999
weather up there???

How's the moisture up there?? wet/dry/just right??? thinking of coming up for
the first time from so. MN. Some enduro buds of mine from MN have been there and really liked some BIG rock section in or around a quarry I believe they said....sounds interesting!!!:)

orion163

Mar 12, 2001
Magoo

how exactly do you get to the trail head for the enduro loops in sands.
I have never ridden there and would like to check it out.
Is the prop. is owned by cleveland cliffs? is it public property?
Any info is greatly appreciated, because i normally ride in the Ishpeming area, and most of the trails here are far from enjoyable.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
yzracer49- Too bad you can't make it, it's shaping up really nice. Be sure to bring your bike when you do come up to visit, there's lots of great riding around Marquette!

grunk250r- We've had a bit of rain lately, but it doesn't look like the forecast is for much more in the near future. All in all, I think everythings in pretty good shape right now; we've a nice mixture of grass plains (sand base), woods, rocks, and mud....I look forward to hearing how you MN guys like our amusement park!

orion163- The area we ride is near Lindbergs Pit on 480. It IS NOT public property; it is property owned by CCI. They allow us to use the land for the event as we provide insurance, etc. The Porterfield Lake Trail (near Witch Lake on M95) and the Bass Lake Trail (near Gwinn) ARE public trails -- I ride the Bass Lake Trail regularly, it is a really enjoyable single-track trail!

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Just wanted to let you know I am trying to get some of the IL guys to come. Seeing as how some of you come all the way down to ride our enduro and play in the mud;) I thought I'ld try to get up your way. My father was hurt in a street bike accident, nothing to major but is can't travel far for about 3 more months, and some other buddies are going to the National in CO, so I am trying to get some guys to help me drive up and back.

Hope to make it up!

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
I sure hope you and some of your IL buds will make it! We had fun :scream: in your mud; hope we can treat you guys to a decent challenge in return:p !
Hope your dad recovers well and quickly! Darn streetbikes can be as dangerous as MX:eek: ....
We'd love to see you here! It's not that bad a drive from IL and with the earlier key time, you can get home at a decent hour!

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Would this be a good event for a 1st. timer. Never rode an enduro before.I've been reading up on it and think I understand how they go, but still have ?s.Also would be a little intimindated.Maybe Saturdays eh?

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Bad news Magoo...I can not make it to the enduro.
I went riding this past weekend and busted up the EXC 300 pretty good. I can not afford the repairs and a trip to the U.P.

Maybe I will see you at the Jack Pine or the National in Wolverine.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
2big- any enduro is as good as another for a first timer! Just treat it as a trail ride in a new area! Depending on your riding and fitness level, just ride within your limits and have fun!

XR- from Marquette, take County Road 553 past the Marquette Mountain Ski Area to the County Road 480 intersection (a 4-way stop). Turn right onto 480 (west), go about 1.5 miles, turn left onto gravel road. Go about 1.3 miles, staging area will be on the left. We will have arrows marking the way beginning on Friday.

fatherandson- too bad! I know about fixing bikes, I smashed my 300 up pretty good earlier this year. As long as you're OK; bike parts are easier to fix! I may be able to do a day at the MI spodefest, I'll contact you if it works out.

2big4akdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
Thanks Magoo, I can get through 45 miles but 60 may stretch gas . I'll check and see what I have left from last weekend. D - 14 rule book says a horn and mirror? I lost my flier but remember MX bikes are wecome so I assume mirror and horn are not needed.Any other tips would be greatly appreciated.How about roll chart or score card thing.And whats this I hear about special tests???I think my KDX might go 60.If not it'll add to the adventure. I'd like to ride the trails over by Deer Park before I head home on Tues or Wed also.

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
2big- we'll have 2 gas availables where you'll have an opportunity to gas your bike. Be sure to bring a gas can with some gas in it for your bike. We're not strict on the horn and mirror as we dont use any "roads." We DO check for spark arrestors, though!
A roll chart holder is nice, if you use it; a scorecard holder is also nice, but neither is necessary -- just bring duct tape to tape the scorecard to your front fender.
No "special tests" -- just good old enduro trail riding!

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
When you register, you'll get a number for your bike that corresponds with your start minute.
Be sure to bring your AMA card, or you can join AMA when you register. You must be an AMA member to race.
FYI, if it doesn't rain between now and Sunday (none predicted), it's gonna be DUSTY!:eek:
Not sure what you're referring to ..."Iron Range TT?"

Last edited:

spktm

Jun 5, 2000
DAMN! I can't wait to get back to the up and ride, just sold my 01 cr250 and have a deposit on 02 300 exc, Iwill be up there on the 22 of july last year i could not find anybody who rides much (in the L"Anse area) It looks like I am going to just miss it. If any of you ride nationals ever let me know when you are going to be in az for the desert mnt. enduro

spktm

Magoo

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 1999
Results

I'm still tired, and I didn't even race! We had about 135 riders (wish we would've had more); I don't know how many finished, but we still had 100 riders at the 60 (actual) mile point, where I worked a check. Blair Bersano Overalled, with Mike Keen 2nd, and Mark Hyde 3rd. We had a big surprise -- **** (edit: HA-HA the P/C software won't let me tell you his name!) Burleson showed up; he ran a KTM125, and with NO timekeeping equipment, ended up (if I remember correctly) 4th overall.

Conditions started out dry and (surprisingly) mildly dusty. After about the first third of the race, it started to rain. The middle third of the race seemed pretty good, with light rain falling. By the time they hit the last third of the race (with the tough, er, "fun," stuff), the rain was making conditions pretty interesting. The last B section and the A section challenged them pretty good, I think! Everyone really seemed to enjoy themselves, and (for a change) no one complained about the setup, checks, course, terrain, etc, etc that the riders usually whine about. We actually heard quite a few positive comments!

Our club members, enduro chairman (Jack Drummond), and quite a few others really did a tremendous amount of work -- I'm proud to be associated with such a great group of people! They all deserve a great amount of THANKS for all they did!

Thanks to all the riders who came and enjoyed our enduro. We only had one instance of unpolite behavior when one unsportsman-like rider needlessly showered a check point with muddy roost. I'm always amazed at how enduro riders are, for the most part, a really friendly group of riders, even while they're competing! Most said "Thank You" at the checks, and some even had an amusing comment (most rated PG, though!).

Sorry you couldn't make it, hope to ride with you someday!

Last edited:

KTM Mike

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 9, 2001
Magoo

Thanks a ton for suckering me into racing the Loose Moose! As my first enduro in many years I really had no clue what to expect! It was plenty technical from start to where I bailed out! Though difficult I thought the rock sections were kinda fun (would have been better if i could of seen them!) Next year could you try to schedule it right AFTER it has rained, rather than during?

I really had a blast the whole race - until a scratched cornea made it rather hard to see part way through the second loop (gee wonder if thats why I crashed so many times?). Prior to that the rain made it real hard for me to see through the fog of my gogles and glasses.... made the mistake of removing them... then what I should of expected happened... oh well.

Though I cant compare it to anything else - I thought the UP Sandstormers did a great job on the race. Without the rain - I might even had finished! (I am really sounding like a spode now arent I!) It seems I have the addiction now - I am already sizing up the schedule here in Michigan to see what other races I can beat my self up on later this year! Next time around I do need to finish though!

BTW - do you know what % of the riders finished? Hopefully Im not the only one who bailed out early!

Top Bottom