geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Anybody got a good way to get masterlinks off the chain, and then to install them again?

I tried circlip pliers and screwdrivers for getting them off, and it's a slow routine. Putting them on again is not so bad. Somebody must want to share some masterlink removal secrets.

If I can stick this in here too: Replacing seals and bushing and oring on countershaft of 00 EXC 200. Can't get the old seal out. Trying to hook it out with coathangers shaped like spring pullers, and tried prying it out with small screwdrivers. Doesn't budge. Need Help. thanks.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I use a normal set of pliers. Put one end on the open end of the clip and the other on the opposite peg? (the little things that stick out). When you squeeze the pliers, the master link should colme off. Use the opposite method to put them on. What kind of chain is it?

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
I use a sharp set of pliers or vise grips to remove and install, Knipex makes an excellent adjustable plier that produces enough leverage for stubborn side links and they are quite sharp.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I normally use needle nose pliers, but have learned to do this with channel locks in a pinch. Speaking of pinch......lol :)
It's like anything else, if you do it often enough it becomes second nature.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I'll second the knipex adjustables, they work like a charm. Just keep them for that purpose only, or they will eventually round off like any other pliers.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Great ideas, thanks. I think it will go easier next time.

Anybody want to try a solution for my countershaft seal problem mentioned in the bottom of my first post? The seal seems frozen in there. Lots of pulling with hangar hooks not pulling it out.

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
I took a socket and tapped mine into the case to free it up and then pulled it out with a hooked tool. The tool is what is used to install the gasket around a windshield. Also they make seal pullers that is a tool with a strong hook on the end.

Also you can drill it and put in a sheet metal screw that you can grip with visegrips. I have also used a screwdriver and pryed it out.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
The hooked tool I used and it worked great was a Paint can lid tool that they give you from the hardware store. I hooked it on the inside of the seal and placed an lever through the handle and pryed it out. I'd hit it with some penetrating oil as well. I'm pretty sure they sell a seal removal tool as well. Good luck!

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
I bought a cheap seal removal tool ($5.99) at the auto parts store. I used it to remove the countershaft seal on my 250. It took less than 5 seconds to pry the seal out.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
I definitely have to get some of these tools talked about. Still can't get it out. Prying with screwdrivers definitely doesn't work. I did manage to tap in in some, but it won't pull out. I guess this would mean that it is loose. Will get out later and get some of these "tools". Hopefully I'll have some luck.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
I'm starting to lose my patience. Can't get that seal out. Tried penetrating oil. The paint can lid tool would not pull it out as is, so I tried bending the ends to more a a ninety degree angle. That broke the tips off the tool. Auto store only had huge seal removers for big jobs. Two needle nose pliers do not budge it. Maybe try tapping the seal toward the countershaft next with a punch, as was mentioned, unless this will damage something? Any more ideas? I'll try calling more places for a seal remover. Thanks.

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
The puller I used has a ~10" handle with a cresent shaped head about 4" wide. It was not too big for the job. The puller works like a claw hammer pulls nails. Just get the hooked end under the seal lip and pull back on the handle. The seal will pop right out.

Wanker

Jun 8, 2000
I recently pulled the 18 year old main seals on an IT200. Using a small nail I poked around the rubber surface of the seal and felt 8 distinct holes in the underlying metal body of the seal. Said holes were spaced evenly around the seal and were not visible due to the rubber coating which covered the whole seal. I experimented with a few different screw sizes until I found one that would fit snuggly into the holes. I screwed in 2 screws on opposite sides of the seals, alternately tugged with the trusty vise grips and 20 seconds later the seal was out. No muss. No fuss.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
cycleboy-----on your second suggestion I went out and bought that seal remover at the local auto parts store for $8.50 plus tax. It looked too big for this little seal hidden by the countershaft--12 inches long. You were right. It wasn't too big. The seal popped out so easy with the leverage of this tool. Thanks for plugging in again and setting me straight. And thanks to everyone else. Some real good suggestions.

Still need to put it back together and hope it does not leak. But the big part of the job is over. So great to get help from the web.

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
Always glad to help. Like most here I like to fashion my own tools but the seal pullers work so good and are so cheap it's worth buying even if I only used it once.

Top Bottom