Maxima Formula K2

svtrb

Aug 20, 2002
I have been using Super-M for years in jetskis and recently in my 2002 KDX and I was wondering if anyone has tried Formula K2. Maxima claims it leaves exhaust tracts carbon free, sounds like the kipps valve would like that. What do you think?

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Considering that just about every oil manufacturer makes a claim to either clean or KEEP clean power valve systems........and KIPS systems hardly ever ARE 'clean', my imo re: carbon free is 'doubt it'.

I use super-m (haven't always). While I've done a topend in my '00, that did NOT include a complete dis-assy of the KIPS for cleaning. The mechanism worked freely then (does now) so I didn't see the point in messing with it.

A properly jetted bike with any decent oil will lead to fewer KIPS problems, sez me.

K2 is spendy stuff! I'll stick with super-m @ $12/64oz.

I have never used K2. Guess that makes my point of view somewhat baseless, 'eh? ;)

old#48

Jun 17, 2002
Formula K2 is pricey but you can get it for $10 a litre (or 6 for $57) at Rocky Mountain ATV. I use it and like it a lot, runs very clean. Can't give you any teardown info though. I also use Mobil1 MX2T and may change both my bikes to that due to the cost.

You may know this, but K2 is a 100% ester (POE) synthetic oil and these are usually thought of as the high end, highest protection oils for very extreme conditions. Ester based oils do have drawbacks though, cost, not as friendly to oil seals, and absorb moisture quicker are the three drawbacks I have heard.

For more normal conditions, IMHO, a more typical PAO based synthetic oil is usually sufficient - Mobil1 MX2T fits into this catagory, about $3.50 a pint, you can get it at AutoZone. You will find quite a bit of support and good luck with the MX2T on this site.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Just tore down the wife's KX125. She learned to ride on that bike and, as such, she never really kept that bike on the pipe very often. Since the bike wasn't ridden very hard, this top end probably had 40-50 hours on it. If there was ever a bike that should've had internals coated with carbon, this was it.

The power valve was very clean and there was a very thin layer of carbon on the top of the piston. This bike also had MX2T and Yamalube 2R run through it, so if there had been excessivce carbon build-up, I wouldn't be able to pinpoint the culprit. Since the engine was so clean though, I can fairly confidently say that any of the three mentioned oils should work well to keep the powervalves clean.

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
old 48, Go check the latest MSDS for MX2T. it appears as thought it is now a ester formulation.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…