sj13

Jan 31, 2009
Going to switch the clutch in my RM250 and wondering what weight transmission fluid. I am going to use Maxima MTL and it comes in:

- 75wt
- 80wt
- 85wt

Which should I get? The manual said run SAE 10W-40 but that just seems odd.

Thanks...

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I run Shell Rotella-T 15w40 in my bike transmissions, and change it often. Works just fine, and a gallon is about the same price as a quart of Maxima MTL. Plus, it's available almost everywhere.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
It works great. Never had an issue.

I think that it's not really necessarily important what type of oil you use in the trans, but how often you change it. Not that I'd run the cheap wal-mart brand, but unless you are lining up on the gate every weekend, and trying for a title, there's no reason to run the most expensive oil on the shelf.

I'm now oil engineer, but I've bounced around the planet long enough to understand that there's a lot more marketing involved in the price of the "Motorcycle Only" brand name oils that there is engineering.

I'm betting that my engine has no idea what kind of oil is going into it, and like wise, the oil I pour in has no idea it's not going into a diesel engine, but a bike trans.

sj13

Jan 31, 2009
Yeah im running superM for sure.. I have a ton of it for my super jet so Im going to burn it in both.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
This chart shows the relationship between the differing grades of lubricating fluids.
Note that 80wt SAE Gear Oil is the same viscosity as thicker 20wt and thinner 30wt Engine Oils.
10w40 Engine Oil will be similar in viscosity to 85-90wt SAE Gear Oil.

viscosity_chart.jpg

Top Bottom