KTA

Jul 14, 2000
I have read a number of threads talking about the gas mileage of different bikes, but beacause i am usually riding sub 3rd gear, how far a get means squat, and ride time is much more important. I find that on my kx250 i only get about 1.5 hours of ride time before i have to refill. Does that seem a little low? What can i do to increase ride time, i don't know much about jetting but im willing to try anything. Thanks for the help... . . (IMS tanks are pricey.. AHHHH).

Bobt250

Jan 21, 2002
I also have found that ride time means more than mileage. I can get 6 hours easily on my CR250. My Hondas have always gotten great mileage. One thing that helps is lean jetting. I like my bikes lean. They get great mileage and they run very crisp. 1.5 hours is unusually low. Something must be wrong.

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
It all depends on how ya ride it. I can go for 2-3 hours of just playing sround. But if i'm racing, i'll go through a tank from 40-60min.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
Any changes to jetting etc. will only make a miniscule difference in your mileage.
The only trick that really worksk is to hide a plastic jug of pre-mix in the woods somewhere a few days before.

mkandl53

Mar 8, 2002
1.5 hours seems pretty low for woods riding on a KX250. I seem to remember much longer times.

The float bowl height reply may be a very good suggestion. I have seen some bikes that pour fuel out the vent lines when the bike is leaned very little.
At least as a first check, lean your bike just slightly with the fuel on and see if you see fuel comming out a vent line. The final check is to pull the carb and measure the float height and perhaps replace the float valve since you are in there. A bad float valve can cause wasted fuel when you are bouncing along the trails.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
A stock tank is worth maybe 45 miles. If the average speeds are close to 30mph, an hour and a half is about right.

As for the tank lasting 6 hours of RIDING, :silly:

Top Bottom