Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
I ride a lot of rocky terrain and bought my bike new last August. I searched for a rear tire that lasted the longest. Here is my experience:

Bike came with Bridgestone M78, Lasted 2 months.

IRC (IXO-7S) chunked badly, poor traction, right from the get go this tire was worn. Hard compound tire.

Dunlop D756, good traction, mediocre wear. It wore well for a soft terrain tire. Wore similar to the Bridgestone.

Maxxis HT I installed it 2 and a half months ago, and ride about 4-6 hours a week. It doesn't give as good a traction in all terrain as some of the other tires (especially the dunlop), but still has a little less than half the original tread left. It isn't really pretty as it has chunked in some spots, but it pulls as good as a new tire on culm hills where the other tires needed replacing at this point. I expect it to last me the rest of the season.

If you ride mostly rocky terrain and want a longwearing tire, the Maxxis HT is a good choice.

I haven't decided what to try next, but may go with an intermedeate.

Joe Chief

Honda26

Mar 17, 2002
Maxxis Maxx-cross IT... awesome intermediate terrain tire. sweet wear, good traction, good lean grips and you can find it on the net for like 45 bucks(rear 125cc)
Chris

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Thanks Honda26,

Being I'm still open to try new tires, and have nothing to go on besides what you have told me, I may very well order one. Up to now I've always had the next tire lined up and waiting, but I've been in a spending slump. I also have a friend that has one on now, so I can ask him how it's holding out for him in this area.

Happy Trails,

Chief

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Chief,
Take a look at the IRC M5B.  I've had very good results with this tire. I did three days at DirtWeek2k2, an hour at MrMXer327's, a couple hours play riding in a gravel pit(sand, gravel), 50 miles worth of turkey run(rocks, rocks, and more rocks), a couple of hours of rock riding on the power lines, and a short course hare scramble(mud, rock, roots), and still have quite a bit of tire left.

B

biglou

I've got a brand new Maxx-Cross IT just waiting to go on the back of the 426.  This tire is supposed to be the bomb for the big four strokes as far as traction and wear goes.  I should have it spooned on within a week or so.  Price was $63 from my local shop.  :thumb:

Feb 25, 2001
Being sponsored by maxxis I might plug them here and there but I have to admit some of their tires are soft... I liked the Maxxis M600 Intermdiate terrain nice agressive knobs but wears farely quickly.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Originally posted by BigLou
I've got a brand new Maxx-Cross IT just waiting to go on the back of the 426.
Im going to be mounting the same tire(rear) on my 300exc this weekend.I sure hope this tire is all it's cracked up to be.........its got to be better than the stock Bridgestone. :scream:

Last edited:

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
Originally posted by marcusgunby
Ive heard of one downside to a hard terrain Maxxis tyre is the walls are very stiff and hard to fit.

I'll vouch on that one. I eventually asked my wife to help me put this tire on :o she became quite disqusted with my choice of words during the installation. It was the toughest one of all and allowed no shortcuts. I busted my knuckles up pretty good.

Chief

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Aug 17, 2001
PapaKeith,

Good to see you're getting plenty of riding in. ;) I've looked at and considered the M5B several times but never ordered one. It seems as though that type of tread has good wear even though it's a soft terrain tire.

I think I may order both the M5B and the Maxxis IT.

Joe Chief

Top Bottom