Thumper96

Sep 3, 2005
Hi I live in Northern Nj the trails are mostly rocky, rooty and i guess its hard pack and was wondering how the maxxis c6001 front and rear intermediate terrain or the maxxis max cross it intermediate terrain tires are the c6001 says it has excellant traction on all surfaces but i was wondering which one is better and wears the best any help would be appriciated thanks

StuckinJersey

May 11, 2005
I've got a Maxxis rear right now. HT version, but I don't like the tread pattern and not a fan of the wear. One ride and they were really beaten and I'm on my third week and really almost done with it. I'm a big fan of the Dunlop 739 series. the Fronts are nice but the backs are out of this world and have a ton of side tread traction when you are whipping around turns. They lasted me over about 8 rides before I had to flip the rear. Although a little more on the price then the Maxxis. It seems like every time I go back to a Maxxis I end up kicking myself in the A$$~. Good Luck.

NM_KDX200

Dec 29, 2002
I have a Maxxis IT on my KDX and another one on my KX (was there when I bought the bike). I was previously running a Kenda Carlsbad and prior to that an IRC VE40 on the KDX. Of these three, I liked the Kenda the best. It lasted a good year before getting too rounded off and I got good, reliable, honest traction the whole time. The IRC got good traction but chunked off some knobs almost every ride. The Maxxis feels "slick" and the knobs rounded off pretty quickly. It's not terrible, but it's not great either. Up front, I've been running a Dunlop K490 and just changed it for an IRC VE39. The IRC's doing just fine up front.

Overally, my favorites would be, in order: Kenda, IRC, Maxxis. I'm going to put a Carlsbad on my KX after the Maxxis wears out there.

ny kdxer

Jul 8, 2004
I live inn the same area a ride the same stuff I tried the maxxis IT's on the front & rear the rear was great but after 1 ride i thru the front in the garbage it was terrible made me feel like it was my 1st time on a bike.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
I have run a lot of the maxxis tires here in the PNW. Wear has been much better than the dunlops, IRCs, Michelins for sure.

The 6001 is a great tire for traction. Even when they wear down they grip. They do run a bit narrow for the rear. So you can go up one size easily on these tires.

The IT works great in intermediate terrain. Much longer wear than the 756s that compete with it. But if you get it into rocky stuff it will shred. The HT is much better for rocks.

Top Bottom