OregonRider

Sep 27, 2006
Does anyone have experience using Maxxis tires? For years I've run Dunlops with good success but the Maxxis prices are less and they seem to be used by a lot of GNCC riders so they've sparked my curiosity. I ride in desert and woods mostly. I'm thinking that either their IT intermediate terrain or ST soft terrain would be good. Before I hand over hard cash for these it would be nice ot know if they are reasonably good. Thanks.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The IT hooks-up as well as the Dunlop 756 but lasts a LOT longer.
They are harder to mount (stiffer sidewalls). Never tried the soft terrain version.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Maxxis also has the SI (Soft Intermediate). I've ridden on them and they work very well.

One of my friends converted awhile ago to the SI and he feels it hooks as well as the Dunlops (756) and Michelins (S12) at a far better price, and lasts longer too.

COLEMANAPP

~SPONSOR~
Feb 19, 2002
I like the Maxxis IT's for the rocks we have in MO. They last long and get good traction. I've heard that the rear tire weighs 2 lbs more than a comparable michelin rear tire. The unsprung weight effect could impact handling, I would think more so on the front. The rear weight of the tire would most likely impact acceleration. Not to keen on the front IT in any mud though.
Knock on wood but I haven't had any flats while using the Maxxis Tires but have seen lots of other tires flat out. I'd just as soon have the extra weight and not have to do alot of trialside tire work.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I have the Maxxcross IT's on my 450 and Pitbike and absolutely love them.

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
I'm running Maxxis Desert IT's on my 650r.
They are holding out very well, & get great traction, even in NM sand.
Plus they dont chunk much, even on slickrock.
The only gripe is that they are a BEAR to put on! :yell:

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
i have a maxis IT on my cr that i just rode for the first time in really loose rocky terrain and it hooked up better and made my bike climb better than anything i used in the past. I should note that i run my tires down a ways. I've seen more evidence of them being good tires because all my riding friends use them (IT's and Si's) and they all rave about them for the price. I'd say buy one a try it out.

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
I threw on a maxxis c6001 and love it, the first time out I actually was able to keep the bike under control and hooking up which with my dunlops I had I was all over the place. For the price they cant be beat IMO

rosscopeeko

Feb 25, 2005
My buddy has an ST on his yz450f and it hooks up very well. I'd actually rate it as excellent since he abuses his tires and bike on nasty rocky hillclimbs. He has approximately 10 hard rides on the tire and it's finally starting to chunk away. He can climb anything and i'd say it hooks up better than my IT in the soft loose stuff by a far margin. I noticed that my IT doesn't quite like the really lose stuff that much, but i'm not sure any tire would since the dirt is so lose where we ride it's practically dust, sand, and gravel in spots. I think my next tire will be a ST. I really don't think you can go wrong with Maxxis for the $.

Top Bottom