may sound weird but: KDX220R vs. DRZ400E?

Kryten

Aug 26, 2004
Hi folks - I'm new to the forum.

I've spent the last two weeks reading a LOT of posts on a number of subjects. I am really impressed with the knowledge base here and throw myself upon your mercy for your views on the following dilemna (is that enough grovelling or would you like some more? :)

I am relatively new to trail riding (and motorcycles in general) -I have been doing it for a mere four months but I'm getting steadily better and a little more confident. I currently ride a very old and somewhat dead XR200 that has seen much better days. This was a cheap way for me to get into this without losing my shirt. Bottom line is the XR200 has just about had it in many ways and so I'm looking to replace it.

My dilemna is that locally I can get a nice deal on either a used '01 DRZ400E or a new '03 KDX220R. A weird comparison perhaps but please make yourself comfortable and read on (if you're not asleep yet ;) ) .

The KDX is about $700 more than the DRZ but then it is brand new. The DRZ has had very little use so far (apparently a guy bought the DRZ then dropped it and scared himself - then his wife advised him that his future did not include dirt bikes. As a result the bike then lived in his garage for a year or two before he sold it back to the dealer which is where it is now for sale).

Here is my synopsis of pros and cons of the two bikes:

KDX220R
Pros:
Light and snappy 2 stroke
Has unusually good low-end torque for a 2str that is newbie friendly
brand new - albeit the '03 model
Cons:
Will I outgrow it?
Is it a good beginner to intermediate bike?

DRZ400E
Pros:
Very strong torque overall (400cc thumper)
US$750 cheaper than KDX200R
Electric start
Easy to ride?
Cons:Quite heavy (dry wt: 262 pounds)
it's used - KDX isn't

I'm kind of leaning towards the KDX220R as the better option but I'd be very interested to hear your views.

Currently I ride trails only. I might try an MX track in the future but on a casual basis only - I currently have no intention of racing.

I'm 40 years old, 5'10", weigh 172 pounds and don't have particularly stellar upper body strength.

Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

Kryten.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
You'll be happy with either bike I bet, but I think the KDX220 would fit your needs better. It's brand new- clean maintenance record, and the KDX is an excellent trail bike (you'll probably hear this from another thousand people, the bikes have quite the following).

RoostRider

Uhhh...
Aug 24, 2004
I have ridden both... the '03 is exactly the same as the '05 KDX, so that is not an issue unless you get worked up about graphics (thats all that changed since '95).

I think you would be more likely to outgrow the DRZ than the KDX. The KDX has better offroad suspension and lighter feel.

The unmodified DRZ will hold speed better and safer than an unmodified KDX.(we're talking highway speed, not trail speeds). The DRZ will go further on a tank of gas and you don't have to mix it.

I let totaly freshy to dirtbiking freinds drive my KDX and they have no problem, aside from some are intimidated by the height, and some are poor at managing the clutch for takeoffs (but that comes quickly and you should already have a handle on those things)

I think the KDX has more going for someone whos skills are growing quickly than the DRZ does.

Kryten

Aug 26, 2004
Thanks very much for your comments folks.

I feel more comfortable about favoring the KDX now especially after your comments about the suspension. I won't be riding any roads so trail speed is all that matters to me. Also, good point about it having a clean record with it being new.

Looks like I'll be heading to the Kawasaki dealer sometime in the next few weeks...

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
Either bike will be a vast improvement, over what you currently ride, And would be happy with either one.
It would prolly make your decision a lot easier if you could find someone that has each bike and let you take em for a ride, then you would know which one fits your style better,
I can tell you, you will not outgrow the DRZ, although the bike sounds bone stock, there are a few simple mods you would want to do. Like a pipe, carb re-jet,
Not sure about needed mods to a new KDX,

jirvine

Oct 21, 2001
I have 2 kdx's in the family so count me biased although I like the 400 as well. I'd go the KDX but would take a look at the slightly used market. A couple years back I bought one with very little time on it and saved probably 40% over new. It have been bulletproof and low maintenence (but they all need some TLC). I got it as the recommended "learn the dirt", I'm 56 and #170. It was stock but 2+ years later it has the pipe and silencer, lots of guards, gold valve and reworked suspension, yada. yada. yada. You can probably find one with the history like that 400, look on ****.

Kryten

Aug 26, 2004
Thanks for the views, guys. Looks like I have plenty of "growing room" with either bike as my skills are still at the beginner stage.

Given that I'm not all that strong (sad but true) the lighter KDX has a lot going for it. Having said that, does a heavier bike "plant" you better on the trails once you have become used to the weight? (my old trusty XR200 is about 240lbs, the DRZ is 262 and I think the KDX is 223lbs)

xTYBALTx

Mar 10, 2004
For it's intended purpose (dual sport), the DR-Z is a great bike. But for all trail riding with a possible trip to the MX track in the future? I think you best stick with the KDX.

DRZ_Dad

Apr 21, 2004
xTYBALTx said:
For it's intended purpose (dual sport), the DR-Z is a great bike. But for all trail riding with a possible trip to the MX track in the future? I think you best stick with the KDX.

The DRZ has two models, the dual sport S, and the dirt only E/K, He is looking at the dirt only model, way different then the dual sport version.......

Kryten

Aug 26, 2004
Thanks for all the help folks.

However, 'tis decided: I've gone green. Tried the KDX220R today and loved it. Very light and a different world from the XR200 (not that I'm knocking the XR200 - without it I wouldn't have gotten into trail riding - it was a good bike that simply needed retirement). Also, I think I can say that the KDX has more than enough power for me for now so no problems there either.

So I went ahead and bought the KDX. It's sitting happily in my garage awaiting my attention so I think I'll be heading to the KDX forums and checking out how to prep the bike before using it.

Thanks again for all the input. The DRZ is a great bike (hence my original dilemna) but I just think the KDX is more my cup of tea.

GhostRider32

Feb 10, 2004
The thing is, 99.9% of the bikes made now are good quality. I know it wasn't always that way but now I think all the manufacturers are building great bikes. With relatively few exceptions, now you can pick by your favorite color and get a great bike, IMHO. :)

My only problem is that I have 5 favorite colors: green, red, blue, orange and yellow. What's a man to do???????????? I guess the only way to solve this dilemna is to buy one of each color. :clue:

drz400e

Oct 16, 2004
Kryten said:
Hi folks - I'm new to the forum.

I've spent the last two weeks reading a LOT of posts on a number of subjects. I am really impressed with the knowledge base here and throw myself upon your mercy for your views on the following dilemna (is that enough grovelling or would you like some more? :)

I am relatively new to trail riding (and motorcycles in general) -I have been doing it for a mere four months but I'm getting steadily better and a little more confident. I currently ride a very old and somewhat dead XR200 that has seen much better days. This was a cheap way for me to get into this without losing my shirt. Bottom line is the XR200 has just about had it in many ways and so I'm looking to replace it.

My dilemna is that locally I can get a nice deal on either a used '01 DRZ400E or a new '03 KDX220R. A weird comparison perhaps but please make yourself comfortable and read on (if you're not asleep yet ;) ) .

The KDX is about $700 more than the DRZ but then it is brand new. The DRZ has had very little use so far (apparently a guy bought the DRZ then dropped it and scared himself - then his wife advised him that his future did not include dirt bikes. As a result the bike then lived in his garage for a year or two before he sold it back to the dealer which is where it is now for sale).

Here is my synopsis of pros and cons of the two bikes:

KDX220R
Pros:
Light and snappy 2 stroke
Has unusually good low-end torque for a 2str that is newbie friendly
brand new - albeit the '03 model
Cons:
Will I outgrow it?
Is it a good beginner to intermediate bike?

DRZ400E
Pros:
Very strong torque overall (400cc thumper)
US$750 cheaper than KDX200R
Electric start
Easy to ride?
Cons:Quite heavy (dry wt: 262 pounds)
it's used - KDX isn't

I'm kind of leaning towards the KDX220R as the better option but I'd be very interested to hear your views.

Currently I ride trails only. I might try an MX track in the future but on a casual basis only - I currently have no intention of racing.

I'm 40 years old, 5'10", weigh 172 pounds and don't have particularly stellar upper body strength.

Thanks in advance for your time and comments.

Kryten.

I have owned and ridden a RM125, XR600 XT250(piece of ****)
DR350 and now DRZ400E. I forgot the CR250(fun bike). I ride mostly in woods trails. 125 and 250 seemed to small and not enough grunt. I'm 6' 195lbs. with my fat ass I don't think that I would notice the 40lbs diff from the Kawi 220 to the Suzuki 400. I like the legs on the DRZ 400. Some of the trails we ride, strokers don't come with. no fuel stops along the way.

What it all boils down to is what you prefer Kryten. your style of riding may suite the kawi over the suzi.
I just freshend up my DRZ400. New piston, rings, headgasket and base gasket. $220 canadian taxes in

Top Bottom