Mcassle & Placelast do Ballinger Canyon

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Matt has a long drive to get there, so I leisurely make my way to the spot (no, not The Spot! For heaven’s sake, that place will do you trouble – best to avoid!), and arrive unknowingly 10 minutes after him. The short, motor home-height evergreens hide most if not all vehicles from plain sight. Thinking surely he hasn’t arrived, and not wanting to wander thru the campground either on foot or by car, I find a reasonably easy-to-spot site, and start to gear up. As I am he comes putting by in his clean KLX300. After the greetings I follow him to where he parked.

Since he hasn’t ridden since October he’s raring to go, having geared up already 3 hours earlier at home. I do the best I could to scramble, and we quickly head off up the nearby hill. It’s all hard pack with traction galore.

Most of what he led me on was the wider ATV-type trails, and I came to learn from what he said he doesn’t know the place that well after all, but that’s fine with me. There were a variety of terrain, but most memorial of this first leg were all the water bars; just as I’d recover from one, another would come along and it’s – oh, gonna be a big jjjuuummppp up (higher than usual) and ooOOoooffppph! – no hard bottoming, nonetheless this boy is not used to frequent, high jumping. And he was setting a fast pace: I did not want to get too far back as there was dust to be eaten, nor too close as I’d get some zingers from that lil’ thumper roosting.

My bike was running real good. The day before I had swapped out the Fatty pipe for the Gnarly, thinking it’d give me more bottom power and less top/rev, as top does little good in most riding areas outside of the desert (which I miss), but nope: there is just as much hit to hang on for. Not so good, but I’ll manage. Maybe now that I’m riding this tighter terrain Eric Gorr should do me a bottom-end power port job.

So he takes us to this singletrack (finally!) ridge – he calls it a razorback (isn’t that some Midwest college sports team mascot?) Now this trail was a wee bit scary; it reminds me of the ridges at Baldy Mesa (Phelan), only you ride this black diamond trail on the peak – one slip up will take you down a hundred feet on one side, several hundred on the other! To be on the safe side he rolls each and every whoop, and I can tell he’s favoring the lesser drop off.

A few miles on this spectacular, vista-filled trail and we get to some flatter, tighter and turn-intense section. I’m concentrating on the trail, rounding one turn on the hot side and there’s this KX500 guy parked on the trail facing me. I do a panic lay over, and my skid plate contacts his front tire, coming to a stop. As my bike is lying in the prone position, I stand up and ask, “Are you OK? Sorry about that!” then he proceeds to chew me out! As he’s telling me off I’m thinking at this point I can either take the gloves off or just eat it – I decide on the latter as that’s really not a way to settle differences, besides, his buddy is there behind him, and I’m alone; Matt was way ahead by now. And the guys strikes me as a hot head, I mean, why come out here to get away from it all only to bring it with you? I’m glad no one I ride with is such an arse.

Matt is well gone by now, even though there was a trail split not far from this close encounter of the almost-physical kind. I wait 10 minutes, and then decide I had better start reading the tracks. Did he go this way or that way? Could be either. I took one, and then turned around after a ¼ mile or so, going back to the split, then take another, and back again. As I am waiting for his return, I see what appears to be a slim tree on the ridge way far away. Is it moving? Ah, it now is; that must be him! (Even with glasses my eyesight isn’t that good.) So with that I jetted off to meet up. We continued on along this ridge, only now it was hard packed, not the aforementioned sandy conditions. And the there were pines to weave thru, not the previous junipers. Nonetheless, the trails were still on the tight side, and drop offs common. Good stuff. We ended at the extreme east end of the area, about 22 miles out.

After a brief break, he encourages me to lead, so I take us to the extreme northeast end/border, where we decided to turn and find some tight “bush” riding. There’s this one canyon that’s just that, and I can’t wait to show it to those of you wanting to come here to ride; you will never guess what’s around each corner, as it’s this canyon with steep sides. One spot requires you to duck/tuck to go under a fallen tree (there’s more of this elsewhere.) Alas, all good trails do come to an end; we reconnected to the main road but took the wash back most of the way to camp, 30 trail-miles total.

Following a lunch break, we head over to look-see a nice map the forest service posted to strategize or next loop. Let’s see: that will be Trail 9, then 17, 19, and maybe 22 again on our return. Got that? Sure! The first leg of this second loop ends up being another ATV trail, although with some fun up and downs. Then the next turns rugged. I’m surprised the forest service actually allows us to take this one and has it marked as such! It has a rut you have to ride in, and in it the dirt is loose, with an occasional root and rock. Now black rock - from rubber, blubber (don’t call me fat, Cat - or I’ll be the dog that sat on your hat, Pat).

Now this last trail is fine pickin’: it meanders along the north most border of the area, wandering up and up in elevation thru changing vegetation, then it opens up so as to exercise the higher gears. We then pass thru an area Matt calls the tunnel, where the trees and bushes close in – watch out for that root sticking up!

Rejoining the main road back, I see where the water percolating from the soil has frozen – no sun gets here. Oh: remember Mr. Mean Green? Yeah, him. The not-so-nice-guy. He doesn’t slow down when passing traffic on wide roads. Either direction. We saw him do it to us and others. What a jerk.

We then hang a steep left and gain elevation up another black diamond trail, then back onto another ATVer. We see a few more of the difficult types and then do one last venture to the extreme west end. Coming back, on our way to camp, I find this spur up a canyon. It becomes tighter and tighter the more miles we accumulate. Then we are back into some pines; I round a corner and STOP! goes my bike, me thinking it’s another stall from too much rear brake, but no – this time the kick starter doesn’t move, at all. None. No give. Uh, what’s this? Seized? I’ve seized an engine once before, but it freed up in no time. This one is locked solid. No kick-um. So we considered our options. How far away is camp? Which direction? Don’t know - maybe that way? Let’s tow (uphill?) OK. So here we have a guy that’s never been towed before, and one who’s never towed. It’s 4 o’clock and going to get dark real soon. We went maybe a mile before coming up to hill. After pushing my bike up this hill with Matt’s help (never could’ve moved an inch with out him), we could see camp. Only thing is it’s two ridges over, and nothing but wilderness in between. Matt scouts the upcoming trail (both ways head away from camp) only to report it’s all uphill from here ahead. And then we find the tow strap broke, getting wound up in his wheel. Eh! I’m glad to report he had one too. Phew! So now I have to decide to get cozy or religion; uhhh - I chose the latter. Without panicking, being the elder of us two, I decide we’d be best off toe head back to the west end, at the gate where we turned to get on to this nasty trail; there we can decide whether to get back onto the ATV trail (which is a long way) back to camp or break thru the fence and down to the state highway, eventually heading back to the entrance.

So now we go backtrack down the sand wash, whoop-de-doos and all. Since the tow strap is wrapped around my right fork tube, it’s constantly tugging to the left – I’m fighting it to the right, falling every so often. On some of the sections I can coast, and end up doing more pushing than I have to. Am I going to have enough strength for another hour of this? Darkness is settling in, too. Meanwhile I turn my damper on full to compensate for tugging of the tow strap, but it only makes it more difficult to get back to center.

With great relief we make it to the gate before utter darkness, and the gate opens at my becoming – maybe I will go to church someday! We resume our positions and travel down to the highway, passing thru an apple orchard. Once at the highway I can feel the affects of darkness: it’s getting cold now, but who cares as I’m on my way home thanks to my friend.

As we are scooting along the highway shoulder, I beckon him to the pavement; he hesitates until the last car passes, and we finally get some relief: it’s a whole lot easier to tow and be towed once on pavement. He gradually and smoothly grabs gears and I’m like Richard Petty drafting the leader. Occasionally gravel spits up onto me, and I have to be careful as my goggles are packed away; I had to take them off at the wash because they’d fog up from all my work/struggle at keeping upright.

Just as I think I cannot hold onto the tow strap anymore we pull up to camp and I kiss my pickup and his bike; no: Matt will have to settle for a high five. Good job duded: you save my sorry arse. It’s now dark, 5:45pm, and my wife calls me to see what I think of her e-mail message she’s about to post on a cosmetic message board! I didn’t have the heart to turn her away – after all, I could be coyote food by now; nor have the heart to tell here how close I came to primitive stone-age camping that night – it was a pleasure to hear her voice.

After tremendous thanks to Matt, we headed our ways; me one tired dude.

This morning I washed the bike and took the top end off. Rings? Ok. Piston? Beat up, but otherwise intact. Exhaust valve? Intact. A-Ok. Looks like something hard came thru the intake track. Whatever it was, it danced around on the piston crown, damaging the head, and then worked it’s way into the main bearing(s), locking it up. The rings, wrist pin and lower rod bearing seem fine. This is beyond my tools and skill set - too bad as I want to show my SoCa DRN brethren this hot new place to ride, and it looks like Eric Gorr will need at least 4 weeks, maybe six to fix it. Oh well.

Oh, lest I forget: Ballinger is a mixture of Phelan (Baldy Mesa), Hungry Valley (Gorman), and the forest trails in Los Padres. Real fun. I know enough now to put in a good loop or two for those willing to do it. Takers? Althoug I'm going to have to get my repairs done first...

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Originally posted by placelast
I want to show my SoCa DRN brethren this hot new place to ride,

I know enough now to put in a good loop or two for those willing to do it. Takers?[/B]

We'll hold ya to that one John. Awesome report. :worship:

Almost like being there and I didn't have to wash my bike. ;)

Does your wife know your having that much fun up there? :laugh:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Of course my wife knows - she called me as I was loading up, after dark. Having a wife who wants to talk about herself comes in handy at times like this...

I just got off of the phone with Eric Gorr. He said his backlog is now two months! But that's OK; I trust him and am willing to wait - but now, what do I do about being bikeless in the middle of prime riding season, and I already sold my son's bike, so...anybody want to rent me a spare? No kidding: I'm willing to pay whatever for whatever, even a rat bike, but it ought to be a reliable one as I do go to some remote areas.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
I had originally planned for a weekend at Ballinger, but an hour & a half into my drive on Saturday morning I realized I left my duffle bag of clothes & toiletries sitting right next to my bed … I completely spaced it that morning! I’m a zombie when I first get out of bed, I’m lucky that was the only thing I forgot. I had on pants, but was wearing my Moose jersey and jacket. After a day of riding I wasn’t up to sleeping in my gear. Realizing my weekend was now cut down to a day trip, I looked on the bright side & was thankful to even be riding. Last time I was on the bike was back in October (lowers head in shame).

Looking back on my records, the last time I was at Ballinger Canyon was June of 99, back when I lived in Bakersfield. Whoa, it has been awhile since I’ve been here. Driving from Fresno I made it to the area within three hours no problem. Pulling in I was surprised at how many people were there. I’ve only been to BC three times total, and this was the busiest I’ve ever seen it. I decided to suit up and putt around to look for John.

As luck would have it John was the first person I pulled up to. I’m going to guess it had been at least a year (or more) since John & I had seen each other at a TWMC event, but I recognized him right off. He pulled his rig over to where I was parked (close to the bathrooms, heh I’m getting old) and we got ready to roll.

Right out of the (only?) staging area for Ballinger is either a wide hard packed whooped out trail or a fire road. Being that I had been to BC a couple of times, I initially lead & chose the trail. Right off I could tell I was going to be one sore puppy come tomorrow, as I was woefully out of shape. Not having anytime on the bike since October made it worse, as I was very stiff and setting a slow pace. I kept to the wider trails as I got warmed up, and soon looked for some nasty black diamonds that we could cut our teeth on.

Wicked #29, a nasty little trail that rides the ridge on the extreme south to south/east end of the park, was what we found ourselves on. With the high pitched sound of a two smoke right behind me, I could tell I was holding John up on this one. I was taking it nice & slow, and hugging every whoop not daring to risk any maneuver that would cause any sort of bobble. This is a true ‘do or die’ trail, with at least a one hundred plus foot drop off to an abyss on the south side, varying depths on the other but still dangerous none the less. By this time I was getting loose and enjoying myself, and pushed a little harder. Not hearing the two-stroke sound, I figured that on this trail John held back a bit so as to have room for some of the nastier uphills. Being that I didn’t dare take a chance on turning my head to check on him, for fear of pointing my front end right off the edge & plunging to my death, I putted along until I encountered a three way stop with a nice open ledge that afforded plenty of room. It was at this point that I realized that John might be stuck somewhere, as he was nowhere in site.

Problem with this trail is that there is almost no way to turn your bike around once you get going on it. So I decided to walk it and look for him. Once over two ridges I figured it was just too much trail to traverse so I figured I would bite the bullet and ride it anyway. Right as I get back to my bike I hear that familiar two smoke sound & feel (my first) wave of relief. John proceeds to tell me the story of almost going head on with a KX500.

Once rested I invited John to lead, as he is a faster rider & I also had very fuzzy memories of what trail went where. The park is small enough so I didn’t fear getting lost. As it turns out John is a great trail hound and found all sorts of nice nasty tight stuff for us to ride through. By far this was the best trip to Ballinger that I had ever done, as our first loop was around 30 miles and normally I had called it a day at Ballinger at around 30 miles. We looked over a map posted by the forest service, and tried to memorize a few trail numbers. This worked out great as we took the trails on the far northern side of the park and looped around back to the other extreme, the south western side of Ballinger Canyon.

On a main road that we took as far west as we could, we encountered a gate and decided to turn around and make our way back to camp. Not wanting to take the same route twice, we found a nice little spur off the main trail that quickly turned into a tight sandy ravine with plenty of whoops for good measure. At one point I had to drop and drag the bike under a tree that had fallen over the trail. By this time I’m starting to think that this isn’t a legitimate forest trail as it is starting to get over grown in spots. I come around a corner and see John off the bike, hunkered down & playing with the kick-starter. Not good!

John was thinking a seized engine, and I knew we were in trouble. Not only was it late in the day (3:30pm), but we were in just about the remotest part of the park that you could get in. Having never towed anyone, I wasn’t sure what to expect. We hooked the bikes up with a buddy tow and proceeded to beat the hell out of ourselves for the next hour in a fruitless attempt to gain access to the top of the ridge, in hopes that we could coast down the other side. Lesson learned here: if you are going to tow another bike & rider, if at all possible don’t do it uphill. I kick myself for it now, but the wiser choice was to backtrack downhill … that is soooo much easier. The new IRC VE33 I just put on the bike the day before was digging trenches trying to haul the RMX up the steep sand trails, not to mention I’m sure I was sandblasting John with all sorts of abrasive debris, although he never let on about it ;)

From the top of a ridge we could see the main staging area, but is was far. And to make matters worse, there were no direct trails from point A (where we were at) to point B (camp), as that particular chunk of land was fenced off. At that point I headed up the trail to scout out how many more uphills we’d have to push the RMX up. After riding up three of them, and taking into consideration the time of day, which was now nearing the 4:30pm mark, I was giving up hope on that route. John suggested we go back down the trail to the gate. I thought it would be much rougher going than it was, but like I found out towing downhill is your friend. Most of the time John was able to coast down the trail on his own. I figured the sand would of put so much drag on the bike that the coasting would not of been possible. Thankfully I was wrong. With enough momentum I’d estimate John was able to coast down roughly half the trail on his own. The rest we towed and even that was cake compared to trying to tow uphill.

Once to the gate we found it to be unlocked, and finding/towing our way back to the trucks was easy going, although cold than a witches you know what. My nips still hurt.

By the time we got back, the sun had set and it was down right cold. I couldn’t feel my hands anymore, and proceeded to warm them (through my riding gloves) on my exhaust. Just the fact that we made it back & weren’t stranded out in the middle of no where all night made it all worth it. What an experience, and lessons learned no doubt.

If anything this trip was a testament to being prepared. I have always carried quite a selection of tools and knick-knacks with me while riding, though almost never required them. They have added weight to my rides and there have been times when I thought leaving the tool pack behind wouldn’t be a big deal. Never again! Not only that, but good thing John & I had both had towing devices, as my bike chewed one of them up. Now that I think about it, I’m getting another one just in case. They weigh next to nothing, and that six-foot length of nylon strap saved a couple of poor souls a miserable night out in a lonely canyon.

Matt

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Great report guys ....

Hey John ... the Husky's still for sale.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
...certainly worth considering. I think it'll kill me before I could kill it...

BTW, it's raining here - Pozo should be prime for the next few weeks.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Catch my email John? Any way you could procure another bike before the Piglet starts? Btw, Dean confirmed he is going, possible Fred may go too :)

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by MCassle
Catch my email John? Any way you could procure another bike before the Piglet starts? Btw, Dean confirmed he is going, possible Fred may go too :)

I will respond tonight.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I won't be able to do any serious rides until mid-March. I am toying with doing the Piglet. But if circumstances (wife) prevent it, the bike in my sig is yours. I just installed new handguards & a Trailtech, and the 756's are fresh. The bike has only been taken out once since the Wilseyville Harescramble in November. That just ain't right! ;) Plus, Matt can pick up & deliver to the Piglet for ya.

I won't leave you hanging for long. I just need a good Valentine's Day to earn enough credits. You'll know if it's available by Monday.

MCassle

Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by zio
Plus, Matt can pick up & deliver to the Piglet for ya.

I sure can, but I may end up wanting to ride that & hand off my KLX to John ;)

Glad to see you are still alive Zio, bummer about not getting anytime on the bike. If you want to revolt & thumb your nose to the boss, join us here next weekend :)

Matt

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
John-

Great write up as always :thumb:

I would like the tour of Ballinger. Ill see about getting a rental that might be famaliar to you ;)

Don has been very busy and I am not sure when he is available to ride so I will check with him.

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I would like the tour of Ballinger. Ill see about getting a rental that might be famaliar to you ;)

Don has been very busy and I am not sure when he is available to ride so I will check with him. [/B]

Thanks, Chris - it won't be necessary as I picked up a beater/loaner last weekend but there's much to be desired there so I am putting the bottom end in my chassis, using my barrel, new piston, and the head from the beater to get me by for now. We'll see how it works for tomorrows's Clear Creek excursion with Mcassle and Jonala.

Ballinger? Sure. My pleasure. This Sunday and both days of next weekend are open, but on the 8/9th there's the Piglet and Wild Boar enduro at Clear Creek - I've volunteered to help; thereafter should be fine as well. Pick a weekend/day.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Well I was thinking about this sunday, but Don has less homework this weekend so he is able to play. So for the interest of time we will ride close to home, but I am not sure where. Probably Silverwood again as his bike still has the too soft for him front springs (altho Don said it steered and handled very well, no sand or high speed tho)

Next weekend I sure I can go. What do you think I can expect for drive time? and I need some directions to Ballinger, unless you have GPS #'s :)

Top Bottom