foxmichigan

Feb 24, 2000
I am just wondering if anyone here has camped at the Meadows campground. My interested is in how many campsites they have, and what facilities. Water available etc. I understand you can ride to the trail system from camp. Does anyone know if that is correct? Thanks in advance!

Al Stover

bbarel

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 13, 2003
If you are referring to the camp-ground near Luzerne, I have camped there but it has been a few years. I think they have about 10-20 sites. It is your typical rustic state campground with out-houses and a manual water pump. Yes you can ride right to the trails from the camp. I remember a connector trail leading right out off the campground. Thre are quad oriented trals and a motorcycle only trail. If you ride bikes you should seek out the motorcycle trail, but I cannot tell you how to find it. Make sure you bring maps. There are various trails going off in different directions around there.

foxmichigan

Feb 24, 2000
Thanks bbarel. Yes I think that is the one. I attempted to find it last fall while riding over in that area. We were on the single, and had maps, GPS, and still could not find it to check out. It is listed in the CCC mapbook, and I just found information on the USFS site, so it is not a state forest campground. Looks like you need a "Recreation pass" to camp there. Trail system over there is a bit confusing.

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
When riding the Meadows system, there's a spot where you go around a couple gates which are setup to prevent full-sized vehicles from crossing a the bridge in between the gates. The campground is right near the north gate. When you pop out on the trail north of the gate, there is a road that parallels the trail on the north side (hard to discern on the map page). This road leads to the campground.
M-33 to Merritt Road, Merritt to McCauley Rd; campground is at the end of McCauley.

Very rustic, like a State Forest Campground, but is run by the USFS.

foxmichigan

Feb 24, 2000
Thanks 2TrakR. Do you know if it is a busy campground in the spring? Also wondering what the cost is to camp, and if one needs a "Recreation pass".

2TrakR

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2002
Not sure how busy the place is. I roll by there for a number of our events throughout the year. Sometimes it's a zoo, sometimes it's dead quiet. Spring should be semi-busy...

Gosh this was extremely difficult to find. It's not listed under camping on their site, but under ORVs.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hmnf/pdf_huron/Meadows.pdf
Do need a rec fee pass for use; 16 sites.
Last time I checked the place out I thought I recalled seeing a self-serve deposit pipe like with State Forest campgrounds. All the info I can find on the web says to contact the Mio office for more information. Don't see why it's not clearly documented on the web.
http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/hmnf/
Mio Ranger Station
401 Court Street
Mio, MI 48647
989-826-3252
989-826-3592 TTY
989-826-6073 fax

foxmichigan

Feb 24, 2000
That's for sure. It's not in the County Atlas book either. I didn't check the Gazetteer. Kind of strange. I guess I will just call the Mio Ranger Station and try to get the straight scoop. Thanks for all your help!

yz250wrw

Mar 2, 2006
The Meadows campground can also be found on the Michigan DNR website: michigan.gov/dnr

Go to the Recreation & Camping, then ORV/ATV, then ORV/ATV trail maps, then "E" and you will find a 2 page map of the area.

The trail has connector trails to ride into the towns of Luzerne and Mio for food and gas. It's also not too far from Bull Gap (big sand hill.) Hope you have fun!

Top Bottom