langston7

Jul 27, 2002
I want to get into mechanics and enginering on motorcycles as a job...im only 13 so would the best way to start out be.... get a banger and a manual for it and get stuck in?then sell it on, keep doing that intill i learn a bit? eventually i want to work on a MXteam or somethink similar.cheers in advance

Last edited:

dkb

Sponsoring Member
Apr 6, 2000
Good morning langston7 :). First you may want to edit your post. Check your spelling. You don't have to be perfect, but you can get closer :D Then you will get some good advice. You are on the right track on getting a manual for the project bike. I am not trying to be mean or flame you. Everyone here is generally nice!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Langston.

You may want to go to your local shop and ask if they need any help. Tell them that you don't have any experience, but you are willing to wash bikes, sweep floors, clean toilets or whatever it takes to learn.

Not sure how the shop situation is in your area of the UK, but if there is a shop nearby that is involved with racing or sponsers a team, find out who is in charge of the racing program and stick to that person like glue.

Time is on your side and you may have to sweep a lot of floors or clean a lot of toilets before you get to actually work on a bike, but if you stick with it you will get what you are looking for.

Getting an old beater bike is a good idea also. My first bike was an old CZ. Didn't run when I bought it. Didn't run when I sold it and never ran in between. But, I learned a lot by taking it apart and puting it back together many times.

It's all up to you and how bad you want it. ;)

Good luck.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
Langston where are you located ? If you keep your nose clean and your ears open and try to learn something everyday youll do just fine as for getting experience and learning you should try to find someone you could help out for free even and it doesnt even have to be on motorcycles it could be on cars & trucks & tractors & lawnmowers etc. Does your local high school or vocational school have courses in powermechanics ? or automechanics ? Maybe you could get one of those learn at home courses and just try to learn a bit on your own. Remember that your brain is like a sponge and youll need to absorb as much quality information as you can. Youll get it , Just try.

langston7

Jul 27, 2002
Thank you
Dean im in england in the west midlands

My cousin caME ROUND THIS MORNING AND IM HELPING HIM STRIP HIS FRONT END OFF ON HIS MOPED....HE NEEDS NEW FORKS.....ive spoke to my brothers mate and he said i can buy a 1979 mHonda c 90 for £20 i thought this is the perfect opurtunitry and im gonna go for it as soon as i come back off holiday..
thanks again
Langston

Top Bottom