Meeting with Forest Serevice this weekend.

FAST JACK

Apr 6, 2004
Regarding Holly Springs National Forest in north central Mississippi and their OHV policy. Right now there is a standard closed unless posted open policy with which there are a series of green pipe gates which are the designated areas to ride behind. There has always been a lot of grey area as to where is actually legal to ride and where is not. Recently some other members of the Memphis Motorcycle met the new Forest Police officer who told them the area was now off limits pending a new ruling from the Forest Service. After many dead end phone calls and e-mails, We have contacted the new head ranger and have a meeting set up for this Saturday. I am sure this is a "feeling out" meeting on her part to see what our interests and capabilities are. I suspect she will be filling us in on the new forest service initiave stating that the forest must designate what is and is not legal for OHV's. I have personally had only limited dealings with forest service officials doing some volunteer trail maintenance and my question is what type of questions should I be asking at this initial meeting and what should I be prepared to know. I know there are others who have been in this position dealing with these people before and any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. This forest encompases 155,000 acres in northern MS and is the only legal area of any size any where around here and we sure would like to try and keep it open.

thanks

maximumbob

Feb 12, 2006
Good luck with the meeting. I am glad someone has something to say about it. Although I am several hours away and prob won't ride there except on rare occasions.

Top Bottom