opihiman911

Aug 9, 2003
I just got my 8 year old son a 2001 KX65. He is a new rider and need to learn how to ride. I am a little worried about the KX power hit, especially the top end. I would like to smooth this power out into the low/mid range which is more suitable to our riding terrain of trail/fireroads with some technical woods and hill climbs, no motorcross or racing. How can I make this little monster into a mellow KDX like machine?
I am planning on adding a steahly flywheel weight either 10 or 12 oz. Any suggestion on which one to smooth out the power band, but still keep it fun or a young rider with a steep learning curve?
Also what about dropping 1 tooth on the front sproket? or adding one or two on the back? would that drop the powerband lower?
What can I do to temporarily "rob" some of the power to make it easier to learn on? has anyone used a power tamer: http://www.worldbikes.com/planet_one/
do they work? What about also covering the air box half way to restrict air intake? I would think if you restrict the intake and exaust you would effectively bog down the top end when it is trying to suck in lots of air and push out lots of exhaust.
Anyone know how to make a throttle govonor? I have seen plans on the internet using surgical rubber tubing and some other things to stop the throttle at half way, then you keep trimming the rubber for more and more throttle? I can't find it.
Any other tips out there to help me teach my son how to ride this little beast? A KX 65 wasn't my first choice as a first learning bike, but it is in cherry condition and being given to me, so I need to make the best of it without scaring my son into never riding again (or getting the wrath of mom for broke bones or some other serious bodily injury)

Thank for any help.

Aloha,
Cory

headbanger

May 7, 2000
I picked up a RM65 (Same as Kx65) for my son this spring. It is his first shift/clutch bike. And I also did not want to scare him, so I made a throttle stop.
What I did was take a 3/4" dia. tubing and cut it so the slide would open a little more than 1/2 throttle. He rode it like that a few times then I cut about 1/8" more off and so on. He is to the point now where I will take it out completly. It was a cheap and easy mod to do.
A little tip:
-after you cut the tube to length, make a slit along the axis of the tubing so you can slide the cable thru it. That makes it much easier to install, and also adjust the cable by the twist grip all the way out for install, then adjust it with the stop installed to take up the free play.
We ride woods, so I put a FMF turbine core spark arrestor on and it mellowed it out also. I plan to try a fly wheel weight also.
So far it's been a pretty good trail bike. We climbed a very big steep rocky hill with no problem this weekend!
Good luck!
Bob
Check out the AMA website, they have a good section on kid's riding 7 how to teach them the clutch .

Top Bottom