Memorial weekend experiences

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well myself, Dirtygirly and two other female riding friends enjoyed some AWESOME trail riding this weekend. We put on quite a few miles, had no major crashes or injuries, and had a nearly perfect weekend.

Except for a couple blemishes.

While I prefer the primitive campgrounds (It is not worth $15/night to me for a picnic table and flush toilet), we stayed at a USFS campground for convenience sake. The bad part is the cost, the neighbors, and the lack of trail accessibility. A couple years ago, there was a trail head right in the campground but it was closed, something to do with the hikers, I believe. Well the new trailhead is more than a mile down the road. And the management group requires you push your bike (even if it’s street legal, according to the camp host!) to the road. So none of this sits right with me: we pay for the trails through ORV tabs, but they close them for the hikers. Then we pay for a camp spot, but can’t even quietly and slowly ride to the road. Well my friends and I were one of the two dirt bike groups in the campground, and the other group was gone by sometime on Sunday. Monday morning, the overweight, retired, jackass of a camp host comes storming into our campsite telling us about how people on “rigs just like these” caused three different wrecks on the road this morning, going 50 miles an hour and scaring the folks who live here. Now even if that’s true, why is he telling us? We’re sitting there eating breakfast! He says it is now against the law to ride on the road (which it was before, but always tolerated) and that the sheriffs and USFS rangers are on their way. Of course they’re not, never did show up. He even made us move our bikes from where they were parked to the narrow gravel parking strip, quoting that “all vehicles must be parked in the designated parking area.” Good lord. He wasn’t even nice about it, and nowhere did I see that included motorcycles, when bikes are parked every which way in every other campground.

So here are my problems with the whole situation:

The trailhead out of camp is closed, but they make it very, very hard for us to get to the new trailhead. How many people want to load up and drive to a trailhead when they're camping? Plus, there's no parking at the trailhead--only room for maybe 3 or 4 rigs.

My group of friends aren't the ones causing the problems, yet we're targeted when someone else does.

I personally think the problems are blown out of proportion anyway: dirt bikes look and sound like they're going faster than they are, and no one else I talked to around camp had seen any wrecks, much less 3.

ORV tag money contributes to the maintenance for these trails yet it gets harder to ride them every year.

Dirt bikes must be pushed through camp partially due to noise, yet nobody puts restrictions on the screaming bratty kids, barking dogs, loud stereos, or loud exhausts on pickups that run around the camp all day and all night long.

The camp host just couldn't understand why we told him we wouldn't be back next year!

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Write a letter to the USFS. Inform them of the rude behaviour of the host. These "hosts" feel they own the parks but they do not. I've been thru this very same scenerio and I told them to call the Ranger. They backed down when I played their game. A management company hires the "hosts" and makes big money on the fees. Write your congressman and complain. These are OUR parks and they have no right to interfere with legitimate recreation.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Amen, BSWIFT--although I must admit I have no idea what you're talking about. Out here, I could probably ride wheelies down main and no one would care.

FC--at least you got to ride this weekend. :(
I was gonna try to keep from complaining about this, but damnit--when's this ankle gonna heal? :|

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
Originally posted by firecracker22
Monday morning, the overweight, retired, jackass of a camp host comes storming into our campsite telling us about how people on “rigs just like these” caused three different wrecks on the road this morning, going 50 miles an hour and scaring the folks who live here. Now even if that’s true, why is he telling us? He says it is now against the law to ride on the road (which it was before, but always tolerated) and that the sheriffs and USFS rangers are on their way. Of course they’re not, never did show up. He even made us move our bikes from where they were parked to the narrow gravel parking strip, quoting that “all vehicles must be parked in the designated parking area.” Good lord. He wasn’t even nice about it, and nowhere did I see that included motorcycles, when bikes are parked every which way in every other campground.

What a Martha Farker!! ;)

Firecracker, sorry you had such a bad experience, probably put a big damper on your experience just from this one guys attitude. You probably wouldn't have minded the cost or inconvenience so much if it wasn't for the shenanigans of this one person.

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I'll call and complain about the trial head, host, and pushing of bikes!!!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Hey, I bet if you put the name of the campground, the trail, and the USFS website, we could get all sorts of emails going! :D

I agree that we as dirtbikers spend the money on trail stickers, then we are forced off of them by people who use them without paying. Why don't mountain bikes have to have stickers for their bikes to help pay for trail maintenance? How about hikers for their boots? Horseback riders for their horses? I could go on, but I'll save that for the USFS.

Currently searching for a web address -- let us know where you were!

Last edited:

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Please let us know where you were, the a$$hole's name, and a link to someone we can complain to. They don't know who they're messin' with! :debil:

KTMKyd

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 20, 2001
We went to a few ORV trails in OK this week and they made us put 10' whips on our bikes, kinda weird, maybe it's normal but I've never seen or heard anything about having to put them on a dirtbike, it was heck trying to find a place to put them as well...

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
You have to run a flag/whip on every vehicle that is in the dunes at Pismo - no flags req'd if you stay on the beach.

I'm not sure a flag would help in the forest. Something about the trees being in the way....

Brian

KTM/MAICO

Dec 4, 2000
Firecraker22:
Everyone, I mean everyone working for the goverment in any capacity has to answer to someone. I would send them a letter to someone in charge of that area and explain in detail what occurred and request a written response.

Compose your letter in a positive manner. Don't swear, cuss or belittle anyone. Just state the simple facts and check your spelling. If you go off the deep end they figure you for a crazy and disregard anything you are saying.

As for those other folks on dirtbikes, did the host have any descriptions of the bikes or the riders involved? If he did, all he had to do was look around and would be able to see it wasn't your group. Since dirt bike riders like to stay together since they often share similiar interests he thought they might have been with your group. If he had been on the ball he would have noticed they were in a seperate group staying elsewhere at the camp.

Sounds like the host over reacted in your treatment. I wonder how he will treat the next group that comes to camp out there.

If you don't notify the persons responsible for the park about what happened then they will not know the true story and this host's behavior will continue unchecked.

Good luck and let's turn a negative into a positive situation here.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
The guy's name was Larry (I think) at Lake Gillette campground in the Colville National Forest. But I think the camp is managed by Northwest Recreation Management. I'll be sure to send a letter! That is a big dirt bike destination. Thanks for the link, XRP.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
I used to be against the forest service requiring an adventure pass ($5.00 a day) to park in the forests here in Cali, as I'm already paying gas taxes and Green Sticker fees, but then I realized that the hikers and horse people have to have it too. At least this way they are paying a small portion!

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Dang FC, that sucks. Since the article in today's Seattle Times about the new wilderness area proposal started by none other than Mrs. Patty Murray and some other loser, I've been emailing our congressmen/women about various concerns I have about what our money is doing for everyone EXCEPT us. I'll be sure to let them know about this as well. I have friends in many places. :) Just a tip for when you guys/gals are voicing your concerns on issues such as this... REMIND THEM THAT YOU ARE A REGISTERED VOTER. In every letter and email I write my first line reads just that. It wakes them up and they will be more interested in what you're saying. Especially if it means a vote in their direction. Familiarize yourself with ALL of the regulations and laws of each area you ride. If you can take a printed copy of them with you so if someone tries to pull a fast one, just whip it out and ask "Could you show me where it says that?" If they want to play hardball, throw em a breaking ball high and inside... push em off the plate a little. ;)

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
O-tay,
Just got off the phone with the Colville National forest HQ. Talked to them about the usage of the Gillette camp ground. Evidentially what has happened occurred over the last 2 years :| . People that are/were disrespectful (revving the motor, jumping, wheelies, brodies, etc within the campsite). have caused the FS to not allow the operation of any ORV in the campgrounds. This includes 4 wheelers, they to must be pushed to the road or hauled to the trial head. He did say that the county road is patrolled by the Sheriff ( yet they are never out there) while the campsite by the camp manager or FS, if you are off to the side, going a normal speed, and not doing a wheelie the sheriff will leave you alone and is being understanding of the issue.

I asked him about the purpose of why those camp sites were built, he couldn't deny the fact they were put in to support the ORV trail system, but other people use them aswell and thanks to a handful of disrespectful riders we have lost that privilege forever!!!!

He offered for us to camp at Beaver lodge (don't know where it is) since they are private and have access to the trial system.

He said they also tried to catch a few folks but couldn't, the tried to wave them down and they would simply go around, U-turn, plus with the helmets on you can't identify them.

I asked them if they would be interested in a Volunteer trial ranger program, he suggested it was a good idea, but that I should write out a proposal and then present it to the 2 ranger districts that make up the trial system. He said they used to have a trial ranger on staff, but cutbacks a few years ago eliminated the position.

Any ideas, should I write something up and hopefully we can create a program that might help prevent future closers:(

Maybe some states all ready have a program similar?

To their benefit, he was very understanding, but said it was their last resort to deter the few from coming back! If only Larry was understanding :think:

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
Trail ranger sounds like a GREAT idea. I'd volunteer for that in a heartbeat!!!! Thanks for the info bsmith. PM me some time and maybe you and I can start getting the proposal together. :)

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
So are street legal bikes allowed to ride in/thru the campground?
I believe there is a volunteer trail patrol organization in the Angeles & Los Pardres NF of SoCal. I saw a couple of them at Gorman a few years ago. Maybe someone here has contact info?

Brian

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I'm sure they are, but why would you want to take a street bike into that campground?? It's not for *city camping* It's dirty there. :) Thanks for the heads up about the trail patrol. I'll check Cali's government pages and see if there is any information that we can use here in Washington.

Last edited:

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
NVR,
Yes, any street legel bike/dual sport is allowed to ride in the campgrounds!

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by firecracker22
ORV tag money contributes to the maintenance for these trails yet it gets harder to ride them every year.

Welcome to Kalifornia. Oh wait, your in Washington.

Well our sticker fees go to... to... :think:

I'm not sure where the money goes because most trail mantenance and clean up is volunteer work done by clubs and riding groups. And our areas get smaller and smaller every year because the Greenies want to "save" some plant or animal from an imaginary extiction based on fudged data. Well we all know that story... :|

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
Well, I think Larry was just flexing his muscles on the street legal issue. There's no way they could make that stick. If it has plates, they can't tell you not to ride it. I should get plates for mine just for that reason.

I would totally be into a trail ranger program, as would Becky and Sherry and probably Bbbom and crew too, whaddaya think? The only problem is time. It's only an hour and a half from my house but weekends are pretty busy around the house. Has anybody ever done anything like this? What's the time committment? How much power would a volunteer ranger have? Obviously we can't issue tickets, so how seriously would we be taken? How many volunteers would we need to start the program? How would we report troublemakers--I doubt they'd be considerate and hold still while we wrote down the VIN of their bikes, and following them to camp might cause potentially dangerous situations if they were drunk and belligerent. I'm all for it, we just need to figure out how it would work.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
If you need some intimidation factor, I'd be glad to dust off my bouncer skills . . . ;)

Top Bottom