scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Well I drove in rain most of the way to, and back home from paragon today, but in between the weather was excellent.  It was a great day for a ride, and I think everyone had a great time.  We only had 20 people when it was time to sign in, but Paragon was kind enough to give everyone in the group the $5 discount anyway :thumb:   I am terrible with names, so I will let someone else fill in who was there.  We left the parking area around 10:30, and headed out for a nice easy morning with the kids in the group.  It started with a run through the "bunny loop" to get warmed up, and see how the kids would do on the trails.  We then headed over to the old 101 course to play around for a while on the small jumps, and hill climbs.  I did not do much riding in the morning, since I was having just as much fun watching the kids race around, and hit the jumps.  We spent the morning there, and then headed back for lunch. 

After lunch, a few of the kids went with us on a trail ride.  I think there were 12 of us in all, but again, don't ask me to name names.  We headed up Valley road, which ev eryone did without problems, and then did a few easy sections of single track.  We then headed out the haul road, and to a hill climb which would take us to the top of the ridge(no it wasn't Howie Hill)  We then came out to the logging road, and continued up the hill.  This was the area of our first and I believe only casualty of the day.  again I am lousey with names, I'm sure someone will fill in the details.  As we were going up the hill, he caught a dead tree that was lying on the the side of the trail, and it was wedged against his ankle.  After about a 10 minute break he was ready to contiue and we worked our way up the ridge and back to the first pipe line.  

Now it was time to head back over toward the mud hole since the kids wanted to play around some more.  we had 2 choices, back down Valley road, or introduce the kids to Turtle trail :p .... well Turtle trail it is.  we worked our way over to the bottom of the hill, and waited for everyone to get together.  Then we were off.......The first few riders all took off together, and then formed a bottleneck at the first turn in the trail.  they learned quickly, and went single file from here.  Everyone was doing good on the hill, until we came to a group of ATVs stopped on the side of the trail.  This made things hard for the kids with having to stop and then get started again on the hill.   But after a few minor problems, we were past them and on our way up the hill.....Then there was another group of ATVs, stoppefd waiting for their buddies behind them.  This time we got past them a little easier, and made it to the top of the hill. If it hadn't been for the ATVs, I don't think there would have been any problems with getting up Turtle trail. 

Then it wass off to the mud hole, and the new table top that was built there last week.  Here we met back up with others from the group who did not join the trail ride, and everyone was practicing their jumping skills on the table top....well almost everyone, some of us know that there is a reason we were not born with wings.  We finished up the day here, and then headed back to the parking area, shared stories, said our good-byes, and headed for home.

for those of you that couldn't make it :moon:  you missed a great ride.  And the best part of the ride was seeing how much fun the kids were having.   Click  the link below to see pictures from the ride

Last edited:

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Sounded like another great ride! Glad everyone made it thru safely and had a good time. Great pics as always! I couldnt make it but had a blast this weekend teaching the quads what a bike can do. 27 quads and 2 bikes, not a single quad would ride behind us after getting a roosting of their lives. :)

Trigger1911

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2001
I am sorry that I could not make it! Those kids would have made the trip worth it!!! Great pics scooter!

sabooo

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 2002
I would second the notion that you missed a great day out if you didn't make this ride. Seeing the next generation of riders falling in love with the sport is worth the trip for certain. It was very nice to meet you all, and I look forward to the next ride for which I can join you.

Cheers,
Sabooo

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
Hey scooter1130
Any reason why I cannot see the link to the pics?
Any one have any ideas?
After the last set of pics was posted for the Paragon ride on may 3-4 Ihave not been able to see any links and scooter1130
usually has them in his sig and to the right.
Steven

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
gixer

The link should stil be in my sig, but if you don't see it, here it is  pictures   But I can't see any of Saboo's pictures ...... now I see them, and just to add a name to the picture, saboo's "lunchtime" picture is DRN member "NRB" and his wife.

Dan

Last edited:

honder269

May 23, 2003
Hello Fellow Dirtheads,
Had a great day yesterday riding with some new people and watching the youngsters have a thrash in the mud. In spite of the forecast for the day it turned out to be enjoyable and besides, a little slop never hurt anybody. Nobody broke, nobody was seriously hurt and we all left sore and with smiles and stories to tell. Hey Scooter, nice job with the action photos. My wife loved to see me flying over the tabletop--NOT! Thanks for being the tour guide for the day and showing us around a little bit. I'm sure we barely scratched the surface of what's really there to ride. Looking forward to the next one.

Honder269 out

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Welcome aboard honder.  Glad to hear you enjoyed your first DRN ride, and hope to see you at the next one.   

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The following sentence sums up the day: “Mr. C, I love Paragon”. Spoken by a 14 year-old girl on the way home while the other young riders were sleeping.

Our day started at 7am. We were loading our bikes (8 in our group) in pouring rain. The kids could care less about the rain. In fact, they were all soaked by the time we left my house at 8am. The rain continued, until we got within 5 miles of Paragon.

Turns out, the conditions were perfect (except for the 1 inch layer of slime in the parking lot). As Dan said, we started our ride at 10:30. Dan took the group through some very easy trails to the mud hole area. Everyone had a great time with the small hill climbs and the mud. My son, Connor (8 year-old on an XR70), was not having a good time at all. Connor is a very good rider, but has never ridden anywhere but our home track. After hearing about Paragon for the past year and a half he had developed “rockphobia”. The bunny loop had some rocks that were kicking his tires here and there and he thought it was just going to get worse. By the time we got to the mud hole he had mentally shut down. Everyone tried to get him riding but he just wanted to go home. So I did what any good father should do, I let him watch everyone else (including myself) have a great time while he sat and sulked.

I checked on him every ten minutes or so. After about an hour I convinced him to fire-up the XR and follow me around. We ran into Flying Scot and his family. Flyin’ did a real good job making Connor feel OK about being a little scared and introduced him to his kids. Next thing I know Connor is out riding with the other kids.

Back to the gang of 20.

The group seemed to migrate to a sandy area where there were two burned-out cars (how do they get there?). Within view from the derelict cars were a really cool 180-degree berm that exited to a nice little jump and a nice hill turn. The group tore-up this area for about 45 minutes and headed back to the parking lot for lunch.

After lunch the group broke into two groups. Some of the smaller kids went back to the area of our morning ride. This group consisted of Rich, gxdragon, Flying Scot and about 6 kids and gxdragon’s wife (new rider on a KLX 110).

The remaining 12 of us went for some trail riding. I didn’t get everyone’s name but the group included Scooter, Saboo (and his friends on an CR250, WR450 – jeff?, XR250 and a kid on a XR80), myself and 3 of the other riders who came with me (Dwayne KDX220, Adam – 11 year old on a TTR125, and Stacy – 14 year old on a TTR125). I’m missing 2 riders, one on a WR and the other on a KX. Some one please fill-in the blanks.

It was great watching the kids discover how to ride on the trails. They flew up Valley Road and were ready for what ever terrain we showed them. Dan did a real good job of checking with the adults that were responsible (??) for the kids. Dan introduced the kids to single track, hill climbs, shale roads, and more. By the time we got to turtle hill the kids were riding with confidence. It was a great sight.

After conquering turtle hill, most of the 20 riders regrouped at 3:30 in the Jeep staging area. We went back to the mud hole for a “short ride”. The short ride turned into a 2-hour ride in the mud hole, mostly around the new tabletop. Once again we watched as the kids riding ability improved right before our eyes. The little guys had some trouble with the soft sand. It seemed as though all of the kids on the smaller bike were being pick-up off the ground and restarted every 2 minutes! They couldn’t care less and at the end of the day they were actually bragging about who fell the most. One of the kids on an XR80 (Brian) was boasting about his 14 falls.

All of the kids were hitting the tabletop in a non-stop circuit. Even the two smallest riders, Zach (8 years old) on a TTR90 and my son Conner, were rolling off the 12 foot high jump. In fact, by the end of the day Connor was having a great time. Some of the adults (myself included) didn’t let the kids have all of the fun and took turns on the jump. I must have jumped that thing 20 times on my KDX and another four on Rich’s YZ250. In case you didn’t know, YZ’s jump a LOT better than a KDX!

I’ve mentioned this in past post-ride reports, and I’ll mention it again. Dan (aka Scooter) is a great guide at Paragon. It seems as though every great ride I have had at Paragon has also included Dan. Thank you so much for taking your time and teaching our kids the joy of off-road riding. Having you as the guide gave the kids an exceptional introduction to trail riding and group riding. They will NEVER forget this experience and the adults in the group will never be able to thank you enough. You are one of motorcycling’s great ambassadors.

I look forward to future DRN rides because the DRN’ers are really a great group of people who are just crazy about off-road riding. I’ll be at the June MX ride and I’m sure we’ll have more than a few more Paragon rides this year.

In the end I can sum-up the day by quoting a 14 year-old girl: “I love Paragon”.

Last edited:

sabooo

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 6, 2002
That was Honder269 on the CR250, My friend Jim from work on the XR250L, and his son Keith on 1 of the two xr80's. The WR400 was Dan (friend of scooter's i think)

Jim and Keith are both stoked to ride again soon, and they send their thanks for a great time. It was keith's first ride in a group, and also his first ride outside of the backyard circuit at his house.

Cheers,
Sabooo

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Yes the WR400 was my friend Dan whose kids may be with him next time DRN has a family ride.  I think his daughter is 8 and son is 5, and he just bought them both bikes.  But it may be a while before he gets a bike for the 2 month old....what do you think, at least a couple of weeks :laugh:

rv6junkie .......
Thanks for the kind words.  I'm glad to hear the kids had such a good time.  Its great to see see the kids learning and trying new challanges.  maybe next time, they can teach me to jump.......on second thought, maybe I'll just keep my tires on the ground.   Maybe we will be able to get together for a local ride sometime soon, or let me know if you plan on heading back to Paragon

Well it looks like the rain has finally stopped, so I guess it is time to go out and wash all that Pa mud off my bike........do I have to pay a fee for all this imported mud?? 

Last edited:

Flying Scot

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 13, 2002
Trig, never mind I missed most of it and I was there. I had some enjoyable moments. When I cheer up I'll try and write a report. But work will keep me busy ( maybe ) all week as we have some deadlines to make.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Flyin scot,

Sorry we didn't get a chance to do any riding together.  i didn't see you much after the first part of the morning ride.  next time we will be sure to do a little trail riding.

And trigger, I hope you have another bike in mind to replace the puddle jumper

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
Originally posted by Trigger1911
DAM! DAM! DAM!!!! I missed it!!!!!!!!!!!!! and I sold my bike yesterday!!!!

Trigg what are you replacing your bike with?

gxdragon

Nov 13, 2002
Originally posted by RV6junkie
After lunch the group broke into two groups. Some of the smaller kids went back to the area of our morning ride. This group consisted of Rich, gxdragon, Flying Scot and about 6 kids and gxdragon’s wife (new rider on a KLX 110).

The remaining 12 of us went for some trail riding. I didn’t get everyone’s name but the group included Scooter, Saboo (and his friends on an CR250, WR450 – jeff?, XR250 and a kid on a XR80), myself and 3 of the other riders who came with me (Dwayne KDX220, Adam – 11 year old on a TTR125, and Stacy – 14 year old on a TTR125). I’m missing 2 riders, one on a WR and the other on a KX. Some one please fill-in the blanks.

Hey, you got me in the wrong group! I was there on my KLX400. Jeff on the WR450 is my brother. He was the one that got caught up on the dead tree. I haven't talked to him so I don't know how his ankle is. My wife (Michelle) and daughter (Ariel) stayed behind at the car. I took them out to that big open area just off the main trail when we got back. Michelle is more comfortable on flat ground. While they were following me I pulled a few wheelies. I looked back to see if they were still close and I saw Ariel tugging on her handlebars trying to get that front wheel up :). Maybe when she has a little better throttle control I'll teach her.

Hey Dan you're pretty sneaky with that camera I didn't know you got a shot of me on Michelles' bike. I never even saw you pull the camera out.

I took them back to the car around 5:00 my wife said she had enough, so I went back to get my brother and say good bye to everyone. We were about to leave and my brother said "lets take the long way back" :laugh: Yeah, the long way back lets go :yeehaw:. By the time we got back everybody else was already in the parking lot loading up. We had great time can't wait till the next ride. We enjoyed meeting and riding with you guys and Mr. C, I love Paragon too.

Guy

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Yeah we missed you guys. I got up Sat Am and it was raining, got togetter with a group of about 14 mostly quads and did a 45 mile downpour, forget your goggles cause they are smeered and foged after 5 minutes, soak any one you can since were all wet already anyway rip. By the end of that ride the quads riders were looking to see who was behind them as they rolled up on the water holes, its sooooo easy whey they slow down and try to ride on the outside of the water holes,,, just hit the gas and roll on through on the rear wheel and watch the title wave hit the mark :) SAAAAWWWOOOOOAAAAAPPPPP!
Sunday the weahter cleared up and I knew it would be a gret day to hit Paragon but my grilfrined backed out of the group ride and said she just wanted to go out with me and hit a nice woods loop that she is comfortable with so we did that for an hour and a half befoe she got to cold and wet and on the way back in there was a nice big fast ride (16 riders) ready to roll and I just turned around (forgot to check gas) and went right back out twoard McAdoo and past so I never made it into Paragon. I hope next time my girlfriend will have enough confidence to come over and ride with the kids, she only really needs to work on 4ft + whoops and hills, she gets scared when she cant see the ohter side over a crest and stops,,,. Ill whip her into shape and get her over there yet!!!!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Sorry about that Guy. It's hard keeping all the names, faces and bikes straight. Just means that we have to do it more often!

Anyone ready to set a date?

Trigger1911

~SPONSOR~
Jul 4, 2001
I got a 1500cc VMAX motor with a MagnaCharger Supercharger sitting here waiting for a chassis. About 230 rear wheel horsies, Anyone with a dirt bike frame?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gixer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 12, 2001
Oh yeah Vmax
I love that bike. Last one I rode had NOS on it and was ripping the drive shafts to shreds because it made to much power. I wish I could remember how much HP it made. It was my freinds. He got ride of it when he started bending wheelie bars.
That thing was fast. There is a guy here on LI that just put a R1 motor in a quad that he turned into a trike and its street legal. I have not seen it with the new motor yet but it should be sweet. When I see it I will snap some pics to post.
Steven

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
I guess I missed a good one. I'm glad everyone had a good time. I want to try and make it back down in a few weeks.

Trig man, make sure you get a bike soon. It's always fun watching you hit the water ;)

Top Bottom