Memphis / Mid South area

Icarus

Jun 2, 2002
Hey Folks !! Just curious if anyone lives / rides in the Mid-South area. I have been living here for about 7 years or so now and am about to get back into riding. I will be buying an atv for my daughter and something for myself. What I am having is a hard time finding is anywhere to ride. If ya have any ideas or know of anyplace to ride I would certainly appreciate the heads up.

Thanks for any help ya may be able to lend.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
hey icarus (is your dad named daedalus?) i'm in mempho, too. you will find that there are very few (as in almost no) legal, public places to ride within easy striking distance. the best thing to do is to hook up with the memphis motorcycloe club, which has exclusive access to several great private places. it's a real family-oriented deal, your daughter would fit right in too. let me know if you want & i'll hook you up.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hi lawman,, will you be at the next mmc meeting? I hope to come up and it would be cool to meet someone who's on drn also.

Icarus

Jun 2, 2002
hey lawman, ( no daedalus is not my dad ) thanks for the heads up. i have checked out the mmc website and that looks like the way to go. gonna try to make the next meeting hopefully get to know some other folks around town that also love to ride. thanks again man maybe ill see ya there.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
sure, i'll be there. you guys look me up, just about anybody can point me out to you. bring your families, too, they are more than welcome. next meeting is 2d tues. in aug. at coletta's on n. appling rd. meeting is supposed to start at 7, but i rec. that you get there early, it's a big room but we fill it up for most of the meetings. you can email me if you have any questions at jbranson@jglawfirm.com.

ericf7

Nov 25, 2002
Icarus i know a couple of spots to ride in memphis area and am looking for people to ride with, post back if interested

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
i went to mmc meeting, looks like most of them are in the same boat as everyone else when it comes to places to ride.. best bet is to enter some enduros and hare scarmbles that are held withing driving distance. one topic was why land is closing to riders due to trash left behind, property damage, no funds/help for races..... lawman,,if you read this,, next time the topic comes up at the meeting,,tell everyone who rides at private tracks to put money in the honor box, that will help keep those tracks open.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
well, we have access to places to ride, but i'm not going to post them on the internet.

the goon factor leads to trail closures everywhere, i am sure worldwide. i don't know what to do about it, other than to keep up the peer pressure.

you guys who want to know about riding around here, email me & i'll hook you up for an mmc meeting. & nevada, sorry i didn't get to meet you when you went to a meeting. jbranson@jglawfirm.com

Icarus

Jun 2, 2002
hey folks. i have made a few of these meetings myself and was just nominated for membership at the last meeting. i have gone to a couple of the races mmc holds and was actually suprised at the number of folks there. the events were a great time and seemed to be pretty well organised. i plan on heading down to the race this weekend in mississippi. i wont be racing as i dont have a race worthy machine at the moment but i still enjoy the scene.

i look forward to meeting yall soon

eric, i would love to go check out some of these places. shoot me a pm or email, maybe we can hook up

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
icarus, i will look for you tomorrow--i'll try to remember to wear my black drn shirt, maybe you can look me up.

john

ericf7

Nov 25, 2002
Hey Icarus, i am trying to get a couple of guys to go riding next Saturday at holly springs or tupelo. Send email address and i will send details.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
hey eric, can you give some good directions on how to get to holly springs riding area (coming up from tupelo on hwy 78) and some basic info on how much it cost, where to part, etc? ive never been there but i do go to trace lake and mx886 alot, i may go there today. and let me know if you want to hook up at the track some day.

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
HEY if anyone is planning to ride Holy Springs, or any other place close and dont mind a slow rider on a CR125 let me know. Now that I have real tires, a fly wheel weight, and a patched radiator, id like to ride it.

J

jay@cramin.com

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
be careful of the mudholes there; i sank my bike in 1 there last winter, up over the gas cap. had to haul it out & pull the engine & tear it all the way down--some fun, you bet! mmc is trying to map the trail system in conjunction with the usfs so there may be some maps floating around, i don't know how far they've got with it.

Nevada Sixx

Jan 14, 2000
lawman, when i was mmc,,a guy suggested that mmc buy their own land to ride on for about 300k... did that proposal get very far?

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
AAAAAAAAAAahhhhhhhhhhhhh the TOM S. Idea No that didnt go far YET. If all us MMC members would just stop buying bikes and put that money towards land instead, we could get some land. AND, since we took our money to buy land instead of bikes, think how nice the land would stay looking.

Actually, we had about 20 or so people interested in the idea, and a few people actually motivated to get involved, but the majority didnt like the idea so its on hold o guess for now.

lawman, PLEASE add what anything I missed or got wrong.

J

J

ericf7

Nov 25, 2002
Nevada,
Get off at Potts Camp exit and go south. Road will end at a T stop in about .5 mile. Turn right. Go a mile or two and take first right, this will take you back over 78. Go a couple of miles (you will pass some houses and i think its a small church) and take second left on to sand/gravel road ( you know that hard pack orange stuff). Go all the way to the end and park. One caution: there is wildlife reserve in the area and private land so watch for signs. If you want to go saturday let me know and we can meet at gas station in Potts camp

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
nossir, that's about how i remember it. organizing motorcycle people is like herding cats. everybody thinks it's a great idea, as long as it uses opm ("other people's money") & somebody else does all the legwork. this concept was brought up as least as far back as i've been in that club ("98), but everyone would rather have new bikes & trucks & just bitch about having no place of our own to ride. so the club relies mainly on the kindness of friendly landowners. since there are no legal, public places to ride (besides mx & i guess holly springs) that are close, access to these private places is 1 of the benefits of club membership.

Last edited:

jcramin

~SPONSOR~
Aug 14, 2002
I am all for land ownership for the club. Me and my wife even decided we would personally buy a few acres of the land and move on it to keep an eye on it and keep it up.

J

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Alright, we found an apartment (w/2 car garage) to live in while we get started on the house. I get back on Saturday and will start moving some stuff in (jetting the bike) on Sunday. Should be able to ride on Monday or Tuesday. :yeehaw:

Think I'm going to see if I can ride out at a friend's place near Slayden. Really need to get on a track soon.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
gotta work sat. may go to enduro or to the vsta trail ride on sat eve, tho. anybody up for either of those?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…