defo26

Apr 23, 2007
I was riding today and I was doing good until the last time around the track. I took a new line through a turn and fell. It was such a stupid fall and made me look like an idiot. It was just a dumb mistake that I did and i have been beating myself up for it all day. I have a race in 2 weeks and now I feel like i am not gunna do it because I suck. I feel like I suck at racing now because of falling in that turn. I just wanted to know if thos falls ever happen to other good riders and what you can do to get over it.

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Try riding that turn more. And keep doing it until you have it mastered and tthen you wont look like an idiot going around it.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
You may want to watch some past MX races featuring RC, JBS & CR...

They crash and burn quite a bit.. and sometimes the crashes are completely avoidable and stupid.

If they can get away with it, I'm sure you can too.

BBking25

Nov 28, 2006
apparently you made the mistake!

practice!, nobody cares that you fell, i know how you feel, it happens to everyone one time or another..

i've stopped getting embarrased, i just realize if its that funny to someone, let them laugh, now when i make mistakes i just laugh it off, o well, lifes gonna go on, why make it seem worse?

Jul 4, 2006
2 things I ask of my son when he goes out in "practice". 1 change your lines every lap, you'll still know your fastest line for the race. This way you'll know you can make it through the non preferred line to make a pass if need be.

2 start at the back of the pack and practice passing your way through using those different lines.

On Thursday night practice the track is usually set up this way for the Saturday race. This is the night I ask him to do these things. Believe me he now has the confidence to run anywhere on the track at any given time.

Everybody likes running up high in those nice bowl turns, but it takes some technique to run it in hard and catch that inside rut. Practice practice this kind of stuff, even when my kid falls I pat him on the back for putting in the extra effort that most don't.

just_a_rider

Jul 25, 2006
One of the most embarrassing things I've done while in a crowd was go to get on my bike and didn't get my leg thrown high enough to clear the back fender causing me and the bike to fall over, there I was laying on top of my bike with every one looking and some laughing. :uh:

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
If you know you are gonna crash, and can make it look spectacular without hurting yourself, anyone else or your bike.. Make a show of it.. It might give them something good to talk about.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
defo26 said:
Thanks a lot guys you helped me out a lot. I feel a lot better then before when I got home.

A few things:

1.) Know you are doing things others barely dare to dream of.... For this you can keep your chin high, and feel good inside.....

2.)Looking for a coach... I talked to Brad of Club57 on the phone... He said this of the sport...."In MX we tend to learn how fast is too fast (etc.)by our crashes...."

You are talking about a sport that isn't terribly forgiving of the slightest errors.... But... that is exactly what makes it so special. You just got a bit of education on that one.

Lastly......

3.) Talk to yourself like you would a friend, a child... someone you care about. I do not believe you would be so unsupportive of another person... Talk to yourself in the same gentle voice you would those others. I say this from the other side of a lifetime of beating myself up. Ain't worth it. Trust me. You wouldn't bully others. Don't bully yourself.

The best runners I've ever known always finished a race and said "I could have run faster...." And usually... the came back and did just that.

knowiam

~SPONSOR~
Oct 17, 2006
=olderndirtmom]A few things:

1.) Know you are doing things others barely dare to dream of....

2.)"In MX we tend to learn how fast is too fast (etc.)by our crashes"
This warms my heart :laugh:

You just got a bit of education on that one.

3.) Talk to yourself like you would a friend, a child... someone you care about. I do not believe you would be so unsupportive of another person...
Beautifully said! Thanks for that bit of wisdom - good for those young and "older".... :nod: Ken
P.S. You're not old! :nener:

Bakemono

Apr 21, 2007
Everyone crashes every now and then. The important thing is to learn WHY you crashed and what you need to do to prevent it from happening again.
The important part is to not let the fear of crashing get in your way. Just try to put it out of your mind. Dont think about what could happen, just react to things as they happen.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
I had a great one at my last (and first) outing at a MX track.

I came into a corner waay to fast and washed the front end out. I managed to do a front flip somehow and land on my back. To top it off this was about 10 feet away from the pit area, so everyone saw it.

It was a humbling experience, as I was getting a bit cocky.

Everyone falls, makes stupid mistakes, etc. The good riders don't loose confidence when they fall. They learn valuable lessons and gain experience.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
This weekend my boy made a stupid mistake in the 2nd turn of his first moto. I am pretty sure that the bike landed on his foot. He went a couple of laps down while the medical personnel was checking him out, and putting an ice pack on his foot. The doc the asked him if he was ready to get off of the track and he said "no, I want to finish the race." Well we took the ice off, put his boot back on, and got him back on his bike. He put it out of his mind, and chased down the slowest two riders to get 4th in the moto.

It was a stupid mistake and he knew it, then he got over it and rode the wheels off of the bike, despite being is last place. You aren't in last place yet, so you just need to get over the stupid little mistake and ride the bike.

SC_Rider_427

Feb 20, 2007
Something that helps me when i crash is to go back and do it without crashing, or else i will always be nervous about that one part of the track. So unless what you crashed on is something thats out of your limits, i would say always go back and try it again. A few weekends ago at TNT in chester, i turned my bike over in the same corner twice in a row, but i would pick the bike up, and do it again, now i dont make that mistake anymore.

SC_Rider_427

Feb 20, 2007
Something that helps me when i crash is to go back and do it without crashing, or else i will always be nervous about that one part of the track. So unless what you crashed on is something thats out of your limits, i would say always go back and try it again. A few weekends ago at TNT in chester, i turned my bike over in the same corner twice in a row, but i would pick the bike up, and do it again, now i don't make that mistake anymore.

Top Bottom