Merwin, MO MX Race 6-23-2002

B

biglou

First off, let me say that it was HOT! I mean, humid, 95 degrees with about 99% humidity. Holy cow it was hot! Got to the track about 8AM, just as signup started. I was once again announcing and racing (therefore, I race for free :) ). We had 16 motos X 2 with, amazingly, the 250 beginner class having the most riders at 21. Not even 125 beginner, which is historically the largest class locally, was close. I think it had 14 riders.

First moto was OK, I got a decent start and ran at about the 2/3 pack mark for the entire race. Actually got all five laps in during the first moto without getting lapped. Second time this year that has happened in the first moto. Last year, it took me until the 2nd moto to get in all five laps. *shrug* We were the 11th moto out of the 16, so the track was ungodly dusty and hard to see when you were running tight behind someone. There were also some treacherous ruts leading into a couple of the corners that if you didn't see them, they would bit you. Hard. By the second moto, the track was pretty much blue groove. Slick as snot and very dusty. I got a bad start as I almost wheelied into the Honda to my left and had to lift out of the throttle for a second, which relagated me to a choking, back of the pack start. The attrition rate was high for both motos-lots of guys stalling out with the four-strokes and not getting them re-lit very effectively. I managed to keep the blue beast alive through both motos. (That little stall during practice doesn't count! :D That'll teach me to try to go to the inside one gear too high!)

So, my results? 14/15 for a 14th overall out of 21. I know this doesn't sound very impressive, but here's the deal: I have only been riding for a little over two years, I'm relatively old by comparrison to the majority of my field (36), and since last year, my main goals were to get in all five laps (not get lapped by the leaders) and secondly to not get last place. Last year I managed a couple of 2nd-to-last-place finishes, but that's nothing to brag about. In this race, and in my last race, I have placed at exactly the 2/3 spot in the pack. So it would appear that I am making some improvements. This makes me happy. Happy that I stuck it out in this blast furnace/sauna combination weather that we have now, and happy that I am seeing some improvement in my results.

Like I say, "Better to be the slowest racer than the fastest spectator."

Last edited by a moderator:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Originally plagiarized by BigLou
Like I say, "Better to be the slowest racer than the fastest spectator."
I've never heard you say that.

Great report! Good result, too. At least you're capable of improving. :)

94ruck

Sep 14, 2001
Lou, about 10 or 12 years ago, I was racing night races out at kingsville every weekend. These 2 brothers, both in there 30s started racing kdx200s. We used to laugh and tease them. Then they got 250s and got faster, then 1 started beating me(i thought i was fast). 1 of the brothers still races all of the time even though he is in his mid 40's now.
You might know him, his name is Bruce Clark

B

biglou

I was looking at the line-up for my class and thought, man, I am the oldest guy in this class! Then I noticed two guys with the same last name from the same city and they were both 40. Mike and Mark. Had to be twins. The Clark name doesn't ring a bell, but I don't have everyone memorized yet. Trouble is, when I remember someone, that usually means that I am forgetting someone else! Only so much RAM in this old hard drive, yanno! :D

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
I raced recently and finished 42 / 56. We can both think about all the people we beat! Do you race to win, or just for the fun of it?

B

biglou

Purely for fun. I am competitive if there is someone around to spar with, but fun is the number one reason.

Old CR goat

Sponsoring Member
Nov 10, 2000
I thought about trying a race this fall, but a 43 y/o beginner :confused:
Most of the tracks here have combined 125 and 250 into beginner bike. But who knows, maybe I'll be the slowest racer instead of the slowest spectator :)

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Goat, I did my first race at 41 last year. I rode in 125D (Beginner) and I only got beat by 6 guys and one 15 year old girl. :silly: (She's winning the D class these days).

Do it! I promise you'll enjoy it.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Good Job Lou! Great report.

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
In defense of us small bore riders that were out there in the 125 beginner class there were 17 entries and just as many crashes as usuall. I was running 4th on the 1st lap until a guy fell in front of me and i got my swing arm caught on his handle bars and did not get going until I was in about 12th place (and shreading his grip and bar pad off trying get my bike free with a burnout) but I made a stong come back to 7th in first moto. Second moto went much better where i was able to miss all the first lap mayhem and was in 2nd for 3 laps till I made a bobble in one of the ruts Lou spoke of and some 15 year old guy got by me. I ended up holding on to 3rd for 7/3 4th overall finish.

If i have too many more first laps mishaps this year I might have to run the 125 in the 250 beginner class where the riders are a little older and wiser(not to mention safer).

Good recap of the day Lou.

Top Bottom