zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I'm gonna make my own drain tool for my ktm, since Billy i too darn lazy to get up off his butt & make one for me (I know that's not the case, just joshin' ya :nener: )

So I bought a new drain bolt & want to drill it out, then insert a hose fitting & attach a length of clear, flexible tube & add a cap to that. Should work better than the e-rider model that I snapped off the other day.

Do I need to do anything, other than buy a metal bit? I have a drill press, but I've seen & heard about cutting oil- do I need it? Will it actually make the drilling go faster? Prolong the bit life? What?

dante

Mar 24, 2004
yes your going to need some drilling oil... regular oil motor could work for a tiny small job, also to save $ buying something special... You do need to use something because of the heat the friction of the bit makes as it cuts through the metal... The bit will turn red hot with out oil before your even really getting started and then will soon fail... That can also be very dangerous, you will also need eye protection also... Another thing good about the oil is that the bits of metal coming off will be cooler also... Also using oil will keep the bit sharper and make the actual cut of way better than with out oil... With oil and a sharp bit the shavings will come off like curley pig tails rather than flying chunks of red hot bit and metal material...

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
... and back off occasionally to clear the chips.

Show off your product when you're done.... I'm not too found of the eRider tube either. Just waiting for it to snap off.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
what is this e-rider thingie of which you speak? 2 stroke only type thing or what? does my 525 have use for it? will it make my oil changes easier?

inquiring minds wanna know!

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
I was just curious, you have to lean the bike over, take out a plug, insert another one with a tube (or just the tube, and drain the oil? Don't your glide/skid plates have a hole to allow a straight drain? I've never had katoomers but the all the jap bike gearboxes have been no prob/no mess. Just curious about the KTM. Seems like extra steps.

Don't try this at home: At work I drain Yamaha 4 stroke outboards (225HP and up) from the fill with a pump. You can do it either way per factory tech instruction. The reason is time, the bottom drain is hard to get to and pumping it out is easier. Mater of fact (I know this is getting off track) I have some big diesels that we pump the oil out of with a FLOC which is simply a fast lube oil change pump. I know what you are thinking, what about all that crap in the bottom, well that's why you warm the engine first, to suspend the contaminants in the viscous. I wonder if I could rigg up a small pump to get the 3/4 or so quart out of my bikes? Nah, I'll just have my kids keep doing it for me. Can't beat those pumps though, lifesavers when you are changing gear/transmission oil in you bike haulers. Off to work...

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
FORTYPLUS said:
I was just curious, you have to lean the bike over, take out a plug, insert another one with a tube (or just the tube, and drain the oil? Don't your glide/skid plates have a hole to allow a straight drain? I've never had katoomers but the all the jap bike gearboxes have been no prob/no mess. Just curious about the KTM. Seems like extra steps.

Yup. Drain is on the left side, right below the countershaft. To make matters worse, its right behind the shifter. That's why I'm going with the flexible hose.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Oh my gosh, I'm a millionaire. My invention rocks. Don't any of you weeners steal it. I did just like I said. Got a spare drain bolt from Autozone, some clear plastic tube and a hose clamp. Drilled out the bolt with a 1/4 inch metal bit, put the hose on the bolt, clamped it, & drained my oil like a NASCAR pit chief would if he owned a ktm.

I'll be selling them for $10 if anyone wants one. Okie, lets talk about advertising. I'm gonna be a rich mo'fo. Someone go get me a samwich.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Zio...

Not to impugn your manhood, but isn't 1/4" too small? Does if flow like a 6-beer bladder, or trickle like untreated gonorrhea?

PS: Feel free to use these as taglines in your advertising campaign...

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Gonorrhea trickles? What do you do? Plug the tip with a tiny cork or pimento?

Yeah, it's slow. I wasn't sure how big I could go, so I kept it safe. Also, I didn't have a good method for holding the bolt in place while drilling, so I needed the extra margin for error.

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
to hold a bolt while drilling - I usually drill a smaller hole in a piece of a 2x4. then screw it in, clamp the 2x4 to the drill press and git-r-done.....worked in past for me!

Top Bottom