whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
It’s been so long since I changed any tires I forgot how much I enjoy it. I just did the YZ and the XR; while I was at it I went ahead and serviced the forks on the YZ.
The choice of tire for the XR was limited to, uhm, garbage is a word we can safely use here, so I went with metrics and ordered a 70/100-19 for the front and a 90/100-16 for the rear, I knew when I ordered the rear tire it was going to be a tight fit. I removed the swing arm and used a cut-off grinder to remove the ¾ tab that runs on the tire side of the cross-member, then I had the gap welded to retain strength. I knew I should have taken a before picture of the tabs on the cross member, but they protruded into the area way too much. Cleaned the whole thing up, repainted it and the 90mm fits with plenty of space for tire flex. I went w/ Dunlop 739’s and can tell this is going to be a far better grip than the 3.00x16 junk that is available for these bikes. Been a little cool here so the tires got a bit of time in the oven. Lil96 is looking forward to riding the XR @ TNT this weekend so I follow up with a ride evaluation then. I can’t wait to feel the D756 bite on the intermediate track myself.

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
The dishwasher makes a great parts/filter washer too. You can use a rolling pin to get the excess oil out of your filter - remember to clean it or your baked goods will have a hint of Maxima.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by Kiwi Bird
The dishwasher makes a great parts/filter washer too. You can use a rolling pin to get the excess oil out of your filter - remember to clean it or your baked goods will have a hint of Maxima.
:)

I think, actually I KNOW my wife would kill me. If she knew I was baking tires, ... it would be bad.

Top Bottom