Mexico Abruptly Restricts Car Imports

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Mexico Abruptly Bans Imports of Most Used Autos, Causing Panic Among South Texas Dealers

HIDALGO, Texas (AP) -- Some are dented, scratched and rusty. Others rattle and belch under faded paint jobs. But the "'98" soaped onto their windshields and a surprise change in Mexican import rules have turned a single year's worth of used cars into pick of the used-car lot.

Beginning Monday, only cars made for the 1998 model year -- none older and none newer -- can be legally imported into Mexico. Car dealers were given notice only a month ago.

Until now, used cars 10 to 15 years old were scooped up at auction by South Texas used car dealers and rapidly sold to Mexicans hungry for affordable transportation and "la novedad" -- or novelty -- of unfamiliar makes and models.

Cars newer than that were banned from imports as unwelcome competition for Mexican car dealers, and anything more than 15 years old was seen as a potential environmental and safety hazard.

But now, under pressure from Mexico's new car dealers who say "vehiculos chatarra," or jalopies, undercut their sales, the Mexican government is allowing only 10-year-old used cars to be legally imported into Mexico.

All of a sudden, 1998 Luminas, Astro vans and Ranger pickups are sought-after trophies.

The Mexican Association of Automobile Distributors, which pushed for the change, said it was needed to "stop the accelerated conversion of our country into the world's biggest automotive garbage dump."

The Mexican Consulate in McAllen said the change was made "to restrict the entry of vehicles that compete with the Mexican car industry."

A mile north of the Rio Grande, 80 percent of the customers at Walester Auto Sales are Mexican. But this past week, only one out of the 24 cars on the dirt lot boasted the magic "1998."

That vehicle was a white Chevrolet Blazer with a "Redneck" sticker on the windshield and a vanity plate of a silhouetted couple embracing in front of a tropical sunset. It was priced at $3,200.

With the sudden change in demand, such 1998 models are appreciating for the first time since they rolled off the lot, their prices rising by $500 to $800, while dealers cut prices on slightly older models in a frantic effort to move them out before Monday's deadline.

"At this point we have a lot of merchandise that was going to Mexico that now will stay," said Elena Garcia, who owns Walester with her husband, Armando Garcia, who was in Florida scouring auto auctions for more vehicles.

At Gutierrez Brothers, a few Mexican car dealers milled about, shaking their heads at the limited selection.

"The worse thing we can do is buy something that we don't know if it can go across (the border)," Juan Gutierrez said. "If a 1997 worth $3,000 can't cross, it's not even worth $1,500."

He had to unload about 1,000 cars last month at sharply reduced prices just to avoid getting stuck with them in March.

Gutierrez said his buyers at auto auctions across the country tell him that when a 1998 rolls into the garage, 20 buyers line up where there used to be a handful.

---------------------------------------------

Nice. I'm all for eliminating unwanted importing that competes with local stuff. :laugh:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
One of my commercial accounts is moving back to Mexico in three weeks. He had to get rid of his '68 Mustang, '97 Ranger and had sold his '98 Caravan. Then finds out that the Caravan would have been fine...this was 2 days after he sold it!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
only cars made for the 1998 model year -- none older and none newer -- can be legally imported into Mexico . . . the Mexican government is allowing only 10-year-old used cars to be legally imported into Mexico.
Why the 'ten year' cutoff? You'd think they'd be okay with something newer, wouldn't you?

Mexicans are getting as weird as Canadians. :|

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Boy, is the guy that mows my lawn for 30 dollars a week going to be mad! He was making a fortune off hauling junk from Chicago to Mexico. I would not do my yard for 100 dollars a week! The immigrants come here to work. Go back to Mexico and pay double for a car from here to begin with, got it!

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
Que??

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
I wonder if this will hinder the chop shop business ;)

How I miss the politcs :(

Top Bottom