gino97

May 3, 2001
hey guys, new member to the site, but have been visiting for a while and thanks to you guys ( and visa ) I'm installing a weisco piston, fmf rev, tc II, and reeds on my '97 220. Air box mod already in use. I mostly ride in northern michigan and was wondering if somebody who also rides in the area has these mods and what jetting they use. Also a BR7 or a BR8??? Thanks in advance for any info.

fishhead

die you sycophant !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 22, 2000
With those mods I ran a 148 main, clip in the middle on the needle and a 45 pilot. that was good up to 3000 ft and 70F. If you haven't already done so, check out the just kdx page and look up tech tips/engine/carb tuning, there's a lot of good info there. Unless you run hard most of the time I would give a br7es a try. Remember to check the main jet by doing a plug chop, its a lot less trouble than a siezed engine.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Stock jetting is a 45 pilot and a 145 main. Use the BR7ES. The 8 is too cool to keep clean even if you're running the proper jetting. Kawasaki is as conservative with plug heat ranges as they are with jetting.

David

Last edited:

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
MI Jetting

I have the Rev pipe and air box mod to my newly purchased KDX 220. I run the stock 45 pilot jet, 145 main and needle on 2nd from top. air screw is about 3/4 turns out. My bike runs great in MI woods. I bought a 148 and 150 main but never installed them because the bike runs so good and plug readings look good. I don't hold it WFO much so as the weather warms up I figured the 145 main would be allright. As the fall approaches I will put the 148 main in it. I've been riding in upper 60 to 70 degree weather lately. Oh, btw I run the BR8ES plug too.

Last edited:

cudmak

Mar 23, 2001
So does that mean I'm better off going to the BR7ES also? My bike is purely stock, with the exception of Renthal bars and no airbox cover. I ride up in northern MN, very similar to MI. Any given day can be 60F or 90F degrees. I do plan on at least moving the clip and turning the airscrew, once I figure out how that is. I'm new and the bike has a whopping 50 miles on it.

gino97

May 3, 2001
thanks guys.......the mods go on this week, as soon as my back ordered piston arrives. Hopefully I'll be ready for Memorial Day weekend.

GreenMan

Feb 1, 2001
Hey gino97, Looks like we have the same taste. Tell me that your ZX9 is green. You had to go for the green one. They look like a matching pair in the garage.

As for your question, I have a 98 220 with wiseco, fmf, boysen reeds, air box lid removed, fmf silencer and the jetting I ended up liking is a 48 pilot and a 152 main. It works well in colder weather and pretty good in this weather. It loads up a little if you are not on it for a while. I just pop the throttle and it cleans out and goes. I have tried up to 52 pilot and 155 main. Way too rich. I also moved the needle clip down one. I had to push it back into the garage. I think a larger carb or boring job is next.

Top Bottom