MI National Enduro - September 30th

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
Who is planning to attend the next round of the National Enduro series?
We had a group of DRN members in Wolverine, MI this weekend helping to find and establish trail for this event. It will be a great event with a mixture of challenging trail tests and easy connecting sections.
If you want to view the flyer, application and a map, you can print a copy from www.enduroeng.com.
This same group of DRN members will be at the event on 9/30. Look for the DRN signs and stop to say HI.

Mike I would like to thank you and the memebers of Lansing Motorcycle Club for the great weekend.The Nat. trails that we worked on this past weekend will be alot of fun.I hope that Uncle Denny can keep that new KX all together on our next ride.Hey Fred keep an eye on your swingarm Denny my be looking for one.

Are lights and licenses required for this event?? What's the terrain like, typical Michigan sand? Thanks in advance for the info.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
Yes and no.

Originally posted by AnneBrooks
Are lights and licenses required for this event?? What's the terrain like, typical Michigan sand? Thanks in advance for the info.
Can't totally spill the beans but this event is like no other in MI, the trail will be challenging and there are some beautilful views along the ride too. Look for rocks, roots, logs, uphills, downhills, tight trail and some other really cool stuff to ride in that will make the ride one of the better Michigan runs from what I can tell helping set up trail this last weekend. Mostly all new trail with connectors and no whooped out sandy single tracks to speak of.

Last edited:
fred, talking with parker on saturday during my hike he said lights and liscense were not a requirement to run their event. someone might want to check this out? priced the swingarm, not very pretty :( the tabs holding the chainguide are bent very bad with one bolthole just about ripped out, i'm going to take it to a machinest today, he might have to make new tabs! kawasaki= to much horsepower=to much speed + rocks= disaster:scream:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
Anne, most of the challenging trail will be on private property. Most of the connector trail will be two tracks and gravel roads. You will see very little pavement. I would recommend lights and a license (or make it look good). The law enforcement in the area is cooperative. Hope you can make it!!

MN KDXer

Registered
Would lights/license be an absolute necessity? I was thinking about heading over for the event.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
Please read between the lines.....you need to have a headlight attached to the front of your bike and a license plate attached to the back fender.
Do not get caught up in the detais and enjoy the ride!!!:D

mike , do you know if mike lafferty will be there , even though he has
already got the championship ? my wife and i , and some freinds of
ours are going to spectate . we'll probably camp at weber lake for
the week-end . :cool:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
Last year Lafferty had the title wrapped up before the MI event and he still rode the race. Actually his mechanice, Alan Randt, is responsible for the event. I am sure Mike L. will be there. Last year he rode an 400 EXC four stroke and won the overall by a couple of points.
If you camp at Weber Lake, be sure to come to the staging area Saturday night. Fred T and I will be there!

yea , we were there last year , watching lafferty ride in the woods
is amazing , we'll try to swing around that way sat. night.

MN KDXer

Registered
I understand the headlight and license plate "plan". Can the "plate" be duct tape w/ numbers? I've done that before. :)

How about age and/or driver's license requirement? My son is only 14, so he doesn't have a license, but he looks large enough to be 16+. Maybe, I should just pen in "16" as age and call it good. :)

Last edited:

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
I would not want to encourage someone to break a law....

However, if I were running tech inspection and someone told me the number on the tape was from a lost license plate I would pass the bike. I know that a 14 year old can ride enduros...I did it 21 years ago...my dad handled all of the paperwork and signatures.

KTM Mike

Mi. Trail Riders
I hope to be there (still trying to re-arrange my schedule) - but I sure hope there is a separate loop for A/AA riders so us slow guys can survive! Is there?

Nice to hear its not the typical Michigan endless sandy whoops (see my post on woods technique!) guess I will find out how bad my rocks, logs and roots technique is! Seeing that this is a National - is it likely way above a back of the pack C class rider's abilities?:(

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
I am headed to Wolverine again this weekend to mark the trail. I know the plan is the same as last year. No A/AA loop. Everyone will ride the same trail. It will challenge the AA riders, but not kill the C riders. Qualifier rules = No timekeeping.
There will be a number of sections. The longest and most difficult sections will be in the beginning. Towards the end of the day the longest section will be 4-5 miles.
I raced this event last year (my first race in 10 years). I was still riding hard and having fun at the end. I was able to compare my score to Lafferty..... it is amazing how fast he rides!!!