bigred455

"LET'S JUST RIDE"
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 12, 2000
I put s-12's front and rear on my bike oh about 20 to 25 rides ago.The rear tire is laughing at the wear. I am very impressed with the quality and performance of this tire.I will say that the s-12's will last atleast 2 times longer than dunlop or bridgestones intermediate tires.Shoot i will be bold and say 3 times longer.I used dunlop's 752's 756's 755's, and bridgestone's that came stock with the bike they don't even compare to the longevity of the michelin's.The hook up is excellent on clay, sand, and medium soil, The 756's are too.Hard pack though you will break traction very easily with the s-12's. But that is why they make a m-12.If i am getting this excellent wear on the s-12's I can imagine how well the m-12's hold up.I really like the performance of the s-12 ,and I am more than pleased with the wear of the s-12.Michelin has a winner with me.

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
I agree about the S12. That's all I use in back in anything short of pure rocks. They work well in rocks, too, but I just hate to throw one away by tearing it up so quickly.

I've used the M12 rear but I don't think as much of it as I do the S12. It's a so-so tire, IMO.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Actually, a hard pack tire is made of a softer compound and will wear out quicker than the same tire in a soft terrain compound. A lot of people love the S12, but for an intermediate tire, the Maxxis I/T seems to be the hot ticket these days... I'd try one if I could find one. :( . While I like 'em , I'm done with 756's (at least on the rear), they wear-out WAY too fast.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
FYI The Michelin S12 is the hard compound. S for soft terrain.
I have been using the M12 (medium) on the rear for over a year now and love everything about them except the grip when turning/leaning on hardpack. I do like the S12 as well but I didn't feel like I had nearly as much traction (of course it wasn't really used on soft terrain ). Tried an S12 on the front but didn't care for it at all (again not really used on loamy soil). For me their seemed to be more of a difference in traction than in longevity so I prefer the M12's.

yamayz125

Feb 8, 2003
I got a S12 rear tire. Yesterday I was rideing at a hard track and the knobs got rounded. I was rideing in 45 minutes totally. The tire was almost new only 3 rides in sand/medium before this hard track. Don`t use S12 at a hard track! It wears out pretty fast.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I agree - s-12 rear is great, however I use 756 front. The s-12 front - didn't care for at all though. Both wear very well accept yama mentioned - NO hard pack. The front tire really become anounced on my VOR, s-12 front was actually scary.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I'm running an M12 rear and and S12 front. I agree 100% with MrLuckey's comments; they hook-up great but the handling on flat, hard-pack corners is not too good. They feel great to the apex but as soon as you get on the throttle they slide. I find that I have to sit waaay back and high on the seat for these tires to work in flat corners. But get them in softer terrain or on a berm and you can gas 'em as hard as you want out of any turn.

Up to this point I have always run Dunlops so this is my first set of Michelins. I will try something different for my next set of tires. Maybe the Maxxis I/T.

Last edited:

Boozer

Oct 5, 2001
Mr.Lucky, you should look at the H12 rear. It is a great gripping tyre when leaning. Grips damn good in a straight line too!

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
Boozer, the H12 is new I think - haven't seen 'em yet. Seems like your in the UK or Australia ("tyre")? Don't like the M12 on front - wears fast. Maxxis IT is as good as everyone says on rear.

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
I tried a M12 front and rear onece last year and did not like them. After one race I took off the new tires the threw them way. Everyone has different tastes and M12s do not work well with my riding style. In my opinion, the front knobs are too short to work well in loose dirt and are too flexable to work well in hard dirt. The rear squirms under accelleration, braking and offers little cornering traction.

I'd rather ride on the rims than use an M12 tire.

geremacheks

~SPONSOR~
Feb 14, 2002
Have to agree with the lasting qualities and the traction of the S-12's. Rode a whole day in wet woods riding conditions, much extreme wet grass, and they had amazing traction. Never slipped out and went faster and faster. I'll buy them again.

jho410

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
cr25096er, we don't have gravel pits here in Northern Calif but we do have plenty of rocks and roots. So far (I'm on my first Maxxis IT), I am very impressed with how it hooks up on that kind of stuff. I also know that this tire is a favorite for our Southern Calif desert rats who ride plenty of rocks and traction-less terrain. At $42 for the rear, it's at least worth a try.

Tahuya Rat

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 11, 2002
I've ben running the m12 ft & s12 rear combo which is pretty popular around here, but I need something different in front for summer riding. Conditions where I do most of my riding are very hard packed with piles of medium size rounded rock - like river rock - everywhere. The m12 is great at evacuating mud in winter, but its its silly slippery this time of year. Any thoughts on Bridgestone m59, dunlop 756 or Maxxi? Gotta order something today, along with new handguards, lol.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by Tahuya Rat
I've ben running the m12 ft & s12 rear combo which is pretty popular around here...
Same here! I saw in the pit a 2002 cr 125 from the Blackfoot Honda racing team and it had exactly this combo.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
As mentioned - I use the 756 front; works well in most terrain except hardpack/blue groove mx applications. I don't ride mx so...
I stay in the woods! :yeehaw:

Top Bottom