CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Well I've been riding with Dunlop 739's for years now. Figure I'd try something different for a change. From what I can see many people seem to like the Michelin M12 for a rear tire. I note that Michelin sizes tend to run a bit different from the other manufacturers. Am I correct in assuming that the Michelin 120/90-18 is the replacement size for the 100/100-18 I’ve been running?

Along the same lines, I haven’t really read anything good about the M12 Front tire. Looks like many of you are running Dunlop 756 fronts. Any thoughts about the Michelin/Dunlop combo?

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
You are correct that you need to deduct 20mm from the rear Michelin to get the equivalent size Dunlop. I put a new 130 18" Michelin S12 next to a 110 18" Dunlop and they were near identical - I think the Dunlop was just a hair bigger.

I have used the M12 front and rear and it is a decent tire, but I think the S12 is better. The M12 rear does last a long time and has very stiff sidewalls - you may consider running lower than normal pressures.

On my bike, I run the Dunlop 756 on back and the Michelin S12 on the front, but I know others who like the reverse. Any combo of 756 and S12's is bound to work well. IMO, these excellent 'soft' terrain tires are very versatile and work pretty darn well everywhere.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Please observe the following:

Click THIS!

See the attached tire size chart, post #9 in the thread.

***edit****
BTW, since it wasn't asked and doesn't matter, I of course am glad to share 'imo'. ;)

I tried a 130 S12 on the back. It was a terrific traction tire! I could hear it hum from the knobs tearing the air and from it actually making the ground vibrate. The thing sounded like an aggressive rip chain on a saw..those things 'moan' in the air like some kinda' animal! Looking backward in gravel, the pattern of rocks the thing would spit out was incredible: Much wider and more of 'em (rocks) than the dunlop 756 I generally use.

It had a decent wear rate.

It had one awful lack, though. It's a directional tire..and the braking direction of things was terrible! Downhills in slop had a huge pucker factor. But then so did downhills in any conditions.

Just trying to stop on level ground was bad! One of those, 'The more brake I use, the faster I go!'.

Give it a shot and draw your own conclusions. I'd be interested in another pov.

Last edited:

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Thanks, that's the info I needed. I'll let you know my thoughts on the different tires.

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
CC, maybe that's because you:

1. Distorted the tire profile by mounting a tire too wide for the rim;

and

2. Increased the (unsprung) weight of the rear wheel by mounting a heavier tire.

Like I said, maybe.

clutchcover

~SPONSOR~
Feb 21, 2002
Hate to butt into a thread, but I have a question. Has anyone run pirellis? I have an m32 on my kdx, and am unsure about it. It get's great straightline traction and does good on the trail, but seems to have issues with braking. May just be me getting used to it, but it seems squirly and has a tendency to try to slip out from under me. Anyone had similar experiences?

Top Bottom