Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Is it just me, or are these things the greatest thing since sliced bread?
I've been delightfully impressed with every Michelin tire I've ever used. I've got a front/rear set of S12 tires on right now, they've been on since the beginning of the season! The rear is worn out (chunked knobs) but is still sharp.. It looks pretty ragged but it still gets good bite! Any Dunlop I've ever used rounded off in a few rides, and went from bad to worse.
The S12 front still looks decent, I imagine it will last a full 12 months until it's retirement time.

Anyone else have similar experiences with Michelin? For me, it's the only choice.. The performance is at least as good as a new dunlop, plus it lasts much much longer.

crkid

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 2001
i don't use michelins currently, but after reading this i just might have to give it a try, i mean, they can't be any worse than what i'm running now. what do i have to lose?

Matt_H

Sep 13, 2001
Michelins are the best tires in my opinion to buy. I have used s12's, MH2 and, MS2 and they are every good tires MS2 being the best I believe cause it picks up the best tracton and seems to wear the best out of all the tires I have ever used.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Both my bikes cam stock with them and they work so we'll I put the same thing back on the KTM. When the Montesa needs new sneakers it will get them as well. Heck I even run them on my wifes Bronco and would on my truck if they made a decent "E" load range AT treaded tire but everything they offer would get me stuck. French toast, french perfume, and Michelin tires, viva la Francis!

bud

Jun 29, 1999
The s12 rear is a good all round tire. Ditto the 756 front. My favourite combination actually. All other michelin and dunlop tires I have tried are below average imo. I found the 756 rear/755 front to be the worst woods combination I have tried... Then again I haven't tried comparing the 755/756 combo to road tires as it seems others do :p.

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
It is definately my tire company of choice. Both on the bikes and my family's rigs.

Patman, I run the LTX M&S 245/75R16 on both my 3/4ton truck, and my 4dr. 4x4 Yukon, they are load range E. I just put a second set on the truck yesterday, the first set wen't 60,000 miles and still were plenty legal. They actually gave me some trade in for them, man I love new tires!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
ochster those were the truck tires I was looking at, just didn't seem to be as aggressive as I really need a tread to be. Diesel + 6 spd + living in BFE = spinning tires. :)

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
I like the S12 it lasts well and performs good but dont try to use it on hardpack-it squirms-i know is a soft terrain tire but occasionally the ground goes from soft to hard in under 2 hours.I like the 752 front and rears.The 756 front is good but im not sure on the rear.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I figured this wasn't related, but since you mentioned it.. My dad had a set of Michelin LTX truck tires on his '97 GMC Savanna 1ton extended van, and got 170,000kms out of them. That's over 100,000 miles.
I bought a set of Pirelli Scorpion A/T tires (265/75R16) for my truck and they're half worn out in 40,000kms (under 30k miles)

singletracker500

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
I put my first M12 on the rear a few days ago. I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised. It hooks up extremely well out here. I was following a guy down a long, steep, loose mountain singletrack last Saturday when he decided to sample the soil right in front of me. Normally, I would have slid right into him when locking both brakes. But to my surprise I stopped right there! I have two rides on it so far, and it looks great.

If it holds up, I'll be buying this tire again. The only thing I really don't like about it is it's size. I got the 130, and it's about as big as a Dunlop 110.

cr125_king

Apr 2, 2001
M-12 are the best tires out there i've found. They outlast any other tire i've bought by far. And they look excellent too with the low profile side wall. I'll never but a dunlop, bridgestone or any of those others again. Michelin tires rock!:cool:

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
Originally posted by marcusgunby
I like the S12 it lasts well and performs good but dont try to use it on hardpack-it squirms-i know is a soft terrain tire but occasionally the ground goes from soft to hard in under 2 hours.I like the 752 front and rears.The 756 front is good but im not sure on the rear.
I have to agree with Marcus on this one. I found the S12 great on true soft terrain, but very squirmy, particularly in front, on anything remotely hard. As for the 756, good on firmer-intermediate ground, but not so great in soft. I like the 752, but they chunk way too bad on my 250 (killer on 125 though). Wear is excellent with the Michelins though. The MS are better in a broader range of conditions. IMO

needsprayer

Oct 24, 2001
My BRP is dual-sported. I looked at a lot of tires and decided on the Michelin Desert tire (DOT approved) for a front tire.

The tread design has the two outermost rows of knobs locked together with a V shaped raised rubber bridge between them. This gives the knobs a large base and should resist tearing.

I like the way the Michelin Desert tire feels on the road (not bouncy). The front end also hooked-up very well when I was playing around at powering out of tight turns in desert dry dust (high desert southern Arizona).

I left the stock D756 rear tire on. That decision is based on the fact that most braking and handling comes from the front. When I wear out the rear tire I will give the Michelin Desert tire a try.

BTW this tire has been very successful at the Paris-Dakar road rally. :cool:

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
What do you guys think about the s-12 or m-12 front. I currently am running a 755 but I prefer the Pirelli mt-44. IMO the mt-44 is the best all around tire I have tried. I ride mostly soft terrain with a few clay patches.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
I just changed from a worn 756 rear to an even more worn s12 rear. The main difference I noticed is sideways traction. Steering with the rear wheel can be scary with the 756 rear. It works ok in soft moist loam, maybe also in sand. On anything else, sideways traction is very inconsistent. Eg on mud, any kind of hardpack, gravel etc the 756r will hook up, to a point. Then it gives way very suddenly, and inconsistently. That slowed me down a lot more than I thought it would, since I don't steer with the rear wheel that much.

Putting the s12 rear back on brought back my confidence almost instantly. It starts to slide sideways earlier but is very consistent and linear. Ie it will slide on any angle based just on traction and gas, as opposed to the 756 which seems to only want to slide at 90 degrees.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
Ben, I was told the m12 front has a similar tread pattern to the enduro comp 3. I'm not sure that is true, but the enduro comp 3 is the worst front tire I have ever tried, closely followed by the 755f. I haven't tried an s12f for a couple years, but I know it wasn't a good all round tire, very twitchy under heavy brakes. I have an mt44f on now and I am reasonably happy with it - works well enough on all surfaces and wears well. I'd rate 2nd behind the 756f, which hooks up better but doesn't wear as well.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom