gino97

May 3, 2001
Anyone ever stay at the meadows campground just south of mio???? I went to the Mack Lake campground on the other side of m-33 for Memorial Day weekend and rode the Bull Gap trails. The trails were alot of fun and I really enjoyed being able to ride right of the camp site. Just wondered if the Meadows campground was similar in that you can ride right off the site and if the trails loops are any good.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
how tough was it ?

are these DNR trail system ? or CCC trails. sounds fun, was the camp ground rustic ? could you get a van and camper in to it? are there trail loops short enough for minis????? spudricks bikes have real small fuel tanks.

TRACTION T

May 11, 2001
Yes you can ride right out of the campground at the meadows. There is some great single track on this loop. I have ridden that trail a few times. I personnally think it is way better than the bull gap loop.

Also to answer 70 marlins question these are U.S. forest trails there are no CCC trails in michigan. All trails are either DNR OR U.S. forest service trails.
The CCC and Chapters of the CCC help in maintaining the trail system and work on keeping them open for all of us to enjoy.

Hope that answers your questions

TRACTION T

May 11, 2001
70 marlin yes you could get an Rv into the campgrounds might hit some tree branches thou. It is rustic camping . As far as your kids bike making it, the west loop is 28miles long so i would carry gas for him or just go out for a few miles and then turn around. i would recommend you take him onto the south end of the loop this part is a little bit wider and less whooped out.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
hey, if you would'nt mind :confused: could you take a look at this site and tell me which trail it is ? http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/popup.asp?Id=3
would be a big help. not to worried about low branches (pop up camper) as, two much sand for the van or truck.

Last edited:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
just printed it out ! thanks. I need to take a look at my map at home for the camp ground.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
just received my DNR maps.

I spoke with the DNR on thrusday 5/31 and had the maps in my mail box on 6/2! now thats service! I'll take a look for muscrat lk. camp ground. the first trip up riding will be a day trip. on one of the smaller loops. I've a question how many of you fine Michiagan riders with teenagers get asked for proof of a ORV saftey certificate?

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
70Marlin, when are you headed to the Meadows? I have never ridden there. If it ever stops raining, a group I ride with may be looking for a ride.

I was just talking to spudrick#1 on the enduro forum. He sounds pretty excited about his new ride. Have fun!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Not sure on first ride?

think the first ride will be a day trip to evart, spudrick #1 is really pumped. this weekend is sisters son Gradation day party. but let me know when you and your buds go riding. day trips really don't take me much planning. have you ever been stop by the dnr, and been checked for a spark arrestor & saftey certificates. spuds #1 bike rm 125 has no spark arrestor. and fmf stopped making there universal :<( and the boys have no saftey certificates.

TRACTION T

May 11, 2001
forest service is usually at the meadows campground to collect money to camp. You should be able to get a sparky for your bikes at your local dealer or an accessory store. I have seen orv safety patrol and forest service in the meadows even talked to them never had any problems. You shouldnt ride without approved sparky on bike if they do notice you without one they will stop you. As far as the safety certificate for your kid if you dont get stopped i wouldnt worry about. Contact the CCC and they will tell you where you can go to get a certificate. I do know they just had a class in Rose city at my clubs event grounds on saturday but it was raining to hard and they cancelled it.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Marlin, I agree with Traction T. You should have a spark arrestor on all bikes. I have not heard of anyone getting stopped for safety certificates. However, if you do not have a spark arrestor, you are asking for problems.
I did find a sparky on my last ride. Interested???

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Ya tell me about it ?

the bike in question is to old to buy a bolt on type. fmf used to sell a universal type but no longer sells it. I'm going to give them a call and see which one of there products matches it and just hack off the pipe. but tell me about the one you found? I 've called the CCC. more than a few times. but no one answers or returns my calls. I'll check there web site out to day. I spoke with my brother . who is a active memeber and told me that there having classes 7-14 thru 7-16 at higgings lake campground west
Hey Traction T are you part of the jackson trailriders club ? I DO WANT TO GET A SPARKY ! AND WILL COMPLY! but with this old bike< I need a universal or it won't be pretty. I'm planning on picking up a more modern bike , just need to run across the right bike and deal.

TRACTION T

May 11, 2001
70 Marlin which bike do you need a sparky for? I see at the bottom of your post you have an 83 rm125 is that the one you need a sparky for? I cant believe that you cant find one for it. You might be able to get one thru dennis kirk or some other catalog.

I,m with Bentwheels Competition CLub.

Mike Hubert

Apr 22, 2001
I agree you will need a spark arrestor, I have been stopped 3 times for routine checks. I was even stopped once for a sound check so make sure you check the packing in your silencer if it is getting a bit loud. The DNR are good people and won't hassle you if you cooperate.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
ya its the rm

DK no longer sells the FMF universal sparky :<( but at this point I think I'll have to do some thing drastic!, I have'nt seen any of the other exhaust companys selling a universal sparky or a bolt on for the old rm'
where are the bent wheels out of ?

Last edited:

TRACTION T

May 11, 2001
Our club has property in RoseCity. We hold 2 harescrambles a year and we are planning an enduro for the fall. we just had our first harescramble this last weekend. the next race is august 26 and the enduro is october 21. we have our monthly meetings in keego harbor.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
sounds like a pretty fun club !

Well I found a add on sparky, that said it fit a DG silencer. I think cobra makes it. I ordered it, hopfully it will fit. I final got ahold of the CCC and they said that they have classes for the kid still, and would get back to me.

buffmaster

Mi. Trail Riders
Apr 11, 2001
Marlin, the Sparky works pretty good. My buddy in Adrian has one for his '91 KX250 and has never had a prob. w/it. You have might have to make some alterations to it(the stock silencer) and maybe put a hose clamp or two on the joining end of the Sparky just for a little bit more security. Other than that, good stuff.

I haven't camped at the meadows, but I have ridden some of the Bull Gap trails. The A loop over near the Pink Store is awesome. There's a motorcylce only trail that get's pretty interesting (read: hairy). My friends and I had a blast there last year. I think we're going back up for Labor Day maybe.

Last edited:

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
fatherandson, if you go with us this sunday that is exactly wher we are going, i know this area very well (have riden there since i started riding) i've got a couple tough single tracks that are hardly ridden in store for you guys, yes they are legal trails but everyone takes the four wheeler routes! hope to see you sunday!

TRACTION T

May 11, 2001
hey walkman those are some cool singletracks in that area. much better then taking the quad stuff. I ride those alot when im up in that area with a bunch of my friends. they should be in great shape the guys who maintain those trails did them at the beginning of may.

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
traction t, do you ride the east or west loops? the west single track is pretty tight halfway through just before the spot where the wind blew all the trees down a few years ago! but i prefer the east loop conected to the rose city loop it makes for a great ride! we'll have to get together up there for a ride!

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Walkman, if I can make it, I probably won't be there by 9:00. Do not change your plans for me, but I am happy to hear there are loops. I should be able to make loop # 2. I sent you an email too.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
walker or tracktion or F&S

as being new to the meadows . I'll be riding with my boys who are new riders which loop would you sugest as a good first ride, I'd like to stick to two wheel bike trails if possible? have any of you rode evart? I'm leaning toward the meadows just because its closer to I75. but my favorit dealership sales friend, is really pushing evart????

Top Bottom