Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
I was wondering if there are any Michigan / E. Ohio / W. Indiana riders planning on getting out for a ride anytime over the Easter Weekend.
I'm keen and open on just about any day fri - monday. Have bike....will travel!
I know there's a fair few heading down to WV, I was thinking some where like Honda Hills, Aspin Acres or trails in West Michigan.
Any thoughts / takers?

------------------

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Max, I ride Baja every wednsday they have open practice. The track is approximatly a 1-1.5 hour drive from Detroit. If you you are interested in rideing let me know. I can be reached at bwalker83@home.com

------------------
Ben Walker
00 cr 250
BRC,AMA,NRA Member

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
This weekend I am heading down to Tennessee to visit family but next weekend we are heading out to hit some trails.
Any suggestions on trails?

------------------
Jeff
99 RM 125 "Mr Scary"
72 TS 185 "Mr Ugly"

bwalker

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 10, 2000
Jeff, I couldnt say. I have only been rideing on the tracks so far.I plan to go trail rideing this weekend in Marquette. Gladwin,Baldwin,St.Helen,Leota should all be good by now.

------------------
Ben Walker
00 cr 250
BRC,AMA,NRA Member

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
A few of us look like heading out to Baldwin, apparently out in East Michigan, this weekend on saturday.
I'm pretty keen to get out every weekend for the next few weeks. Please post if anyone's setting something up.
Bwalker, I'll drop you a line in the next few days re: Baja.

------------------

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Max, sorry I saw your post a day late. We had 18 guys get together for our annual spring ride in White Cloud yesterday. Jeff Allen and I ride together often, keep that in mind if you'd like to venture over to west Michigan. The ride was good - my muscles are nice and stiff today!

------------------
Mark
'01 YZ250F,'01 Yzinger 80,'99 WR400F,'99 XR100
'98 Royal Star TC,'96 XR200

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
MW,
What a bummer, I would have been a starter for sure!
As it turned out, I took myself over to Baldwin fri night. Camped and rode a couple of different trails Sat. Sat arvo I went down and camped at Muskegon and rode a trail there this morning.
This was my first real Michigan trail riding and I enjoyed it. I could not believe how many woops were on the trails and how sandy it is. However found a fair bit of speed with a lot of practice. The 380 was absolutely ripping!
It got a little lonely out there :( but it was perfect riding condition.
Anytime your planning to ride, leave a post on the board and I'll try to make it. I'm looking to get out every weekend for the next few weeks and am happy to travel over.

------------------

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Hey Max, if you are interested in a return trip to Baldwin, there is an organized trail ride (Cycle Conservation Club) in that area on May 5 & 6. I will be there and I am sure other DRN members will too. I will post additional details as the weekend gets closer.

------------------

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
My buddy and I are planning to ride Geels on Saturday. Anybody interested in joining us???

------------------
Rickshaw Racing
01' KTM 400EXC
87' Yamaha TW200
86' Honda Reflex

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
Max, I have never been to Geels, but it is listed as an ORV trail with a north loop of about 23 miles and a south loop with either 27 or 40 miles. Not sure on the south loop because the CCC map differs from the DNR map.

It also appears to be the closest spot to Detroit, except for the Mounds.

We plan on getting there mid morning about 10:30 - 11:00am.

Do you plan on joining us???

------------------
Rickshaw Racing
01' KTM 400EXC
87' Yamaha TW200
86' Honda Reflex

cpmx76

May 5, 2000
The geels loops are by st. helen about a 3hr drive north up I-75 from detroit . mostly single track trails . The gladwin trails are the closest at M-61 off I-75 ,soom guys dont like em there pretty whooped out. Bajamx.com the website has a open practice schedule ,it can get pretty busy there , i ride and race there alot. good luck

------------------

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
rickshaw, the Gladwin loop would be closer to you, but I would recommend the extra driving to go to Geels (more trails and less use = less whoops). In addition to Geels that are other trail loops in the St. Helen area. Enjoy!
I can not make it this weekend. However, I look forward to meeting other trail riders in Michigan. Do you live and work in Howell?

------------------

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
fatherandson, I actually live in Brighton in a sub on the corner of Brighton Rd. and Chilson Rd.with a Howell mailing address.

Great area with access to dirt roads which are great for the old Reflex and TW 200! There are a few small spots to roost on the KTM but most are limited to horseback on state land.

I would like to meet you for a ride this summer. I'm limited to about 4 rides per year due to family and vacation schedule. Are you planning on riding the six days, or open to a ride in July??

Look forward to your response.

------------------
Rickshaw Racing
01' KTM 400EXC
87' Yamaha TW200
86' Honda Reflex

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
Richshaw;
I found the Geels location etc. in the CCC trails book. Looks good. The weather forecast for the area is for rain on sat. up there. Doesn't really phase me.
At this stage I'm a YES to join you guys. If you guys are still keen, it might be worth posting a new thread with the timing, meeting spot etc. to see if there's any more takers.

------------------

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Rickshaw, do you live in the Oak Pointe sub? I also can not ride every weekend. A one or two day ride in July sounds good to me.
I work at Citizens Ins (evil insurance company). Are you available for lunch in Howell/Brighton some weekday?

------------------

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
ricksaw, are you riding only saturday? we are talking about going somewhere sunday, it will probably be geels, let me know if you are going to be up there sunday, i can't ride saturday and it looks like rain anyways but sunday is supposed to be nice, but it's michigan weather you know!

------------------
95 MXC 300
96 RXC 400
Distrct 14,MCCC,AMA

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
fatherandson, call me next week for lunch 810.494.0470.

walkman, I have a dilema with this weekend's ride. My partner can only ride Saturday because he is going to the swap meet to sell his Bultaco on Sunday. But I'm available both days. I'll get back with about Sunday.

------------------
Rickshaw Racing
01' KTM 400EXC
87' Yamaha TW200
86' Honda Reflex

jrccc20967

Mar 30, 2000
Walkman,it looks like we might have 4 to 6 guys from around here for a sunday ride at Geels.anyone else for a nice sunday ride?

------------------
87 YZ 490
2001 wr426
chrome don't get you home

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
Hey guys, I can not make it this weekend, but I will be in touch.

rickshaw, I'll call you about lunch. I went riding with Walkman and jrccc20967 (what does that mean?) a couple of weeks ago. Great bunch of guys and I am looking forward to more rides later this year. I would welcome another KTM to the group. Walkman and I need someone else to talk to as we WAIT for the rice bikes. :p (just kidding guys!)
Have a great ride!!!!!

------------------

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
Rickshaw:
I'm still planning on going up to Geels on Sat. morning. Are you planning to ride the North or South trail? The CCC / DRN maps show a clearly marked parking spot at the North trail. Might be a good place to meet 10.30 - 11.00?

jrccc20967:
I'm going to chuck the swag and wife in the back of the Expedition. We're probably going to camp somewhere up there Sat. night. If so, I could hook up with you guys Sun. morning for a follow up ride. (mental note: remember to pack spare muscles!)
Which loop were you planning to ride / meet and at what time?

------------------
Yes it's fast...........No, you can't touch it!

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
Max, I have never ridden at Geels so any advie from the group is appreciated! Is it crazy to ride both loops? If not I would prefer the South loop based on pure miles.

My buddy and I are meeting at the Miller Rd. Kmart at 9:00am. We should have plenty of time to meet you at the Geels north parking area. How would you describe your riding level? This is my first ride since the fall of 99'. Really looking forward to meeting you.

fatherandson, please refrain from your comments about those who do not ride KTM's. Not everyone enjoys the view from the front!

jrcc and walkman, have a great ride on Sunday, wish I could be there.

------------------
Rickshaw Racing
01' KTM 400EXC
87' Yamaha TW200
86' Honda Reflex

Max Factor

Sponsoring Member
Oct 18, 2000
Rickshaw:
What city is the Miller rd. Kmart in? If it's on the way from Detroit I could also meet you there if that's any easier.

Otherwise, the North loop car park looks like the easiest spot to find up there.

From the riding I did in Baldwin & Muskegon last weekend, I wouldn't stress about the loop size. It seems most of the 'main loops' that are marked on the map have plenty of 'spurs' off them. Besides, they are so close, if after an hour or 2 we get sick of the Nth loop we can just shuffle down to the other.

My riding level.....? I find it hard to judge. I guess I'm pretty fair. I've only ridden a handfull of times in the last 12 months as well so am not fully up to speed or fitness. Regardless, rididng is riding, who cares on the pace of individuals, the more the merrier I say.

I'll be in a Black Expedition with a KTM 380 on a bike rack.

------------------
Yes it's fast...........No, you can't touch it!

[This message has been edited by Max Factor (edited 04-19-2001).]

WALKMAN

Oct 11, 2000
we will park at the north loop,be there around 9:00,the geels trail has a little of everything its a nice loop, no problem riding both loops since theres a connector now and you don't have to load up! has anyone heard from our little kdx buddy, fred are you out there? i'm with you guys the more the merrier as long as their going the same direction as i am!! lots of riders = lots of laughs, only problem is everybody's usually laughing at me as i'm rolling around on the ground!!

------------------
95 MXC 300
96 RXC 400
Distrct 14,MCCC,AMA

[This message has been edited by WALKMAN (edited 04-19-2001).]

rickshaw

Sponsoring Member
Sep 24, 2000
Max, right on! Miller Rd. is in Flint and the first exit on I-75 once it merges with US-23.

We should plan on meeting at the North parking lot.

Where do you live in Detroit???

See you there!

------------------
Rickshaw Racing
01' KTM 400EXC
87' Yamaha TW200
86' Honda Reflex

Top Bottom