MatthewDale

Aug 20, 2007
Hey guys, and thanks in advance for any help.
First off...

26 year old male.

1) your physical size; Approximately 5'9'' and about 135lbs. Currently trying to gain weight.

2) How physical / aggressive are you? As of now, I'm in them iddle of where I should be. I raced BMX for about 6 years when I was younger. Currently trying to gain some weight, size, and all that.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or? Maybe a little of everything. Mainly tracks.

4) Do you have any riding experience? No.

5) Do you think you will race? Possibly way in the future.

6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? I'm willing to learn, and very capable. I will do all I can.

7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? No.

8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? Everything.

9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike? Varies. For my first bike I'd probably buy something cheaper and used.

10) Do you live in California? Yes.

11) Your age? 26.

12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion; just looking for something solid to start out on, to learn with. I'm a little smaller than most, but pretty capable. I know I have to take baby steps and start at the bottom, I just want something that would benefit me specifically.

mkelly04

Jul 27, 2007
I vote for a 250f...

Personally I would go brand new if you have the $ so you can avoid all problems associated with a 4-stroke. I hear of a lot more 250f's blowing up then 450s......

As far as what bike to get find the dealership that will give you the best deal and has the best parts department cause you will need it. All the bikes are so close anymore it just boils down to the dealership that gives you the best deal.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
250F or 125 two-stroke. Find a good deal on a used bike, and don't forget to budget protective gear (helmet, boots, goggles and gloves at a minimum).

MatthewDale

Aug 20, 2007
Thanks for the quick responses.

I originally thought a 250 would suit me, but being a novice with no experience, I wasn't sure if that would be logical due to my size. I am smaller, but I have insane balance (due to racing bmx), plus I catch on to things rather quickly. So would it be alright to start on a 250 even though I am skinnier?

I am gaining weight, working out, and so on. I was a nationally ranked bmx racer, and I know they are worlds apart, but I'd like to think I would be better off than most starting out. So I guess it does make sense to get something to grow into.

Being a beginner, can you guys give me pros and cons for being my size and buying either a 125 or 250 from the start?

Again, thanks again guys, you're really helping me out.

Jan 3, 2007
I think at your weight and price range a 125 2 stroke would be best because, you learn to ride aggresive, its cheap to fix, simple to work on, has lots of aftermarket parts, and are really fun to ride. The best modles for you would be a KX, or RM125 because they have the leat aggresive power and low seat heights. I think a post 2003 bike would work well and be green sticker legal.

MatthewDale

Aug 20, 2007
2 strokes for life said:
I think at your weight and price range a 125 2 stroke would be best because, you learn to ride aggresive, its cheap to fix, simple to work on, has lots of aftermarket parts, and are really fun to ride. The best modles for you would be a KX, or RM125 because they have the leat aggresive power and low seat heights. I think a post 2003 bike would work well and be green sticker legal.

Very logical answer.
Thank you.

FmXMikeR

Aug 20, 2007
I come from a Downhill Mountain Bike background and understand where he is coming from with BMX racing and it will help to some extent

MatthewDale

Aug 20, 2007
Yeah, I know it won't be even close to the same. I just think my experience with the body positioning and manipulation will help out a ton, plus my balance is better than most. I've been on a ton of tracks, some I've never seen before and been expected to be fast, jump everything right off the bat, and so on.

I was co-factory sponsored, so I basically went all over the country to race in nationals at someone elses expense. I met a lot of people, saw a lot of things, and got to see basically every U.S. state. I gave up a lot of my childhood for it, so now I'm trying to be a kid again even though I'm only 26. I've always wanted to get into dirt bikes, but never had the chance. Everyone has to start some where.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
250F, pick a color, any color......I personally think the YZ's and CR's are most reliable, but that's a very debatable subject. Get the newest one you can find given your budget limitations. Whatever you do, don't buy a bike that some local pro/fast guy owned...I don't care if they change the oil every day, fast guys are hard on bikes. Get one from a beginner that sprained his ankle and wants to quit....A little research and some patience goes a long way when picking a used bike....Good Luck! YZ165

Oh, and Jeremy McGrath was a former BMX fast guy, and didn't start MX till he was 16 or so.....your skills will cross over nicely.

mox69

Mar 26, 2007
YZ165 said:
Oh, and Jeremy McGrath was a former BMX fast guy, and didn't start MX till he was 16 or so.....your skills will cross over nicely.

What he said. Basically one of the top 5 riders of all time started on BMX.

Just remember in BMX you ride the bike. In motocross the bike rides you :) (aka don't fight the bike all day, you will loose)

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom