weatie181

Oct 30, 2003
Does anyone know if you can use the Race Tech mid valve removal kit kit without buying their gold valve for an '01 CR 250? They say you do, but I don't know if they are trying to make an extra sale. :(

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
you can just take out the midvalve shims and replace them with the appropriate sized washer (checkplate) for less than a few bucks i would think- but i doubt the forks will be any better- race tech have a clever marketing ploy- they jump on the MXA bandwagon that goes on about midstroke harshness on the CR forks- take out the midvalve=take out the midstroke harshness- i think that is bogus- the midstroke harshness is due to the valving and can be set up well by a good tuner.

weatie181

Oct 30, 2003
I've had the forks revalved 3 times, they have the dreaded mid stroke harshness, but will still bottom on the big stuff, even though I have the comp. clicker all the way in. So I decided to do it myself, went to the Race Tech seminar, and didn't come out that much wiser than when I went in, unless I buy their stuff, and I will get all the valving secrets to go along with their stuff, and that's all.

dthoms

Oct 6, 2002
Are you sure your problem isn't spring rate? Or Oil/Oil level?
As odd as it might sound a stiffer spring might help both the bottoming, and the mid/stroke.
A stiffer spring tends to keep the fork higher in the stroke and can make your bike feel more plush if you are too heavy for the springs that are in it, or the if the springs are sacked out.

weatie181

Oct 30, 2003
I have the stock 0.44 springs in it. And I'm with you on the stiffer spring results, but would ya know that 2 seperate suspension website spring rate calculators show I should run 0.41 - 0.42 for my weight being 170lbs without gear. I think one of the biggest problems is that it has been revalved 3 times by a big name suspension shop, but each time I bring it there, a different tech has worked on them. Also I have added oil and it helped a smidge.....

terry hay

Nov 8, 2003
Originally posted by weatie181
I have the stock 0.44 springs in it. And I'm with you on the stiffer spring results, but would ya know that 2 seperate suspension website spring rate calculators show I should run 0.41 - 0.42 for my weight being 170lbs without gear. I think one of the biggest problems is that it has been revalved 3 times by a big name suspension shop, but each time I bring it there, a different tech has worked on them. Also I have added oil and it helped a smidge.....
You can certainly purchase the midvalve kit individually from racetech. Bear in mind the midvalve has nothing to do with midstroke. The dual chamber fork suffers from more stiction than most other fork designs due to the extra seals and components creating extra drag. If you want to eliminate a lot of this harshness polish the damper rod, compression piston rod, inner chamber(comp housing) and inside the alloy fork uppers. Be carefull not to use anything abrasive as you do not wish to damage any of the coatings, simply make them slide easier. Pay particular attention to your fork installation and make sure you dont use excessive torque on the lower triple clamp bolts and make sure you have perfect alignment at the axle.

Top Bottom