drehwurm

Dec 9, 2000
Servus,

I installed some updated parts in a WP 43mm USD fork including a new spring for the mid valve. As the new spring is much stiffer than the stock one, I'd like to know which range of the damping is influenced by the spring only; the shim stack was not changed. From a feeling I'd say VLSC (very low speed comp), but if you compare the force needed to compress the spring and to bend the shims I didn't feel much difference!

Michael

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
So it firmed up the VLSC? It must be a very stiff little spring. I am picturing the one in my Showas and it is very light, certainly much lighter than the shims. Interesting...

I too would think that it should effect only the lower speed range, as once the speed increased, the spring would deflect, and it would operate as did the first one. You would just be opening a little later...

Have you ridden it yet? How's it feel?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Sounds interesting, i wonder what Wp are up to.Thinking about it at certain speeds the stiffer spring will hold the shim stack not closed but not open fully so it is likely to be more progressive but its only my best guess.

drehwurm

Dec 9, 2000
Servus,

Due to a sprained ankle I'll have to sit out for another week, so there's no testing. But the fork isn't ready yet anyways. When disassembling the cartridge I made the mistake ;) to check tolerances on the piston rod bushings. Right side okay, left side has so much play you can see through - remember these forks have not more than 25-30 hours on them! Typical WP I'd say, though so far I thought there are 'good' and 'bad' forks tolerance wise, but it is god and bad fork legs!!!

Michael

drehwurm

Dec 9, 2000
Servus,

After my last ride I'm of the oppinion that the spring has surprisingly very little to no effect on the damping!!! Even though I found a very good setup for the KTM now, serveral factors make me think that the new spring didn't have any positive nor negative effects. HSC and MSC (mid speed compresion) did not feel affected at all and the change in low speed valving did work as expected - no room for any influce of the different mid valve spring.

Michael

[This message has been edited by drehwurm (edited 04-05-2001).]

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
drehwurm ive thought about the stiffer spring and i beleive the idea is to ensure the midvalve shims close fully on rebound-its a reliablity issue not a performance one.

------------------

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Yes that is true.. The spring does nothing in that case.. The spring tension does really impact the time it takes for the fork to go from undamped to damped rebound..

Regards,
Jer

Top Bottom