kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
I will be in Middle Creek, CA all weekend (06.15-17.01) with my girlfriend and a few buddies.
Anyone up for a ride this weekend? :p

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
kx100,
My wife & I will be up there on Sunday (17th). Not sure if we'll park at Middle Creek or make the drive up to Deer Valley.

You gonna have a new rear tire? Not sure a slick will work anymore:p

Brian

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
oh yea!
I'll attempt to do my first jetting job tonight and change the rear tire tomorrow night and probably stick a thicker tube in the rear.
yay! :)

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Like to go up there again, that trail #07, #6 combo is the best:) I'm not sure yet if this Sun. will work with the job schedule yet.

shifty1408

Jan 5, 2001
KX100,

I've never been to Middle Creek and the ride sounds great! I will try to put the bike back together since its a bit mangled from the Pole Cat Enduro. I may need to muzzle my wife as well as shes gettin' a bit snarly from all this riding.:scream: Anyone got some directions?;)

Dean

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
kali,
&!*@(#!@#%^!$@#!@#!@#$!@#%^$!@%^#$!%^@#!!!!!!
heh :think

shifty,
I'll post detailed directions tomorrow.. I'll have to get them at home.

shifty1408

Jan 5, 2001
Dave,
I think I've got the muzzlin' thing down finally after 4 years of scar tissue,:scream: but if you've got a smoothe tecnique I'm all ears. The pain usually only lasts till I get on the bike though:p Directions to Middle Creek would be most excellent!!

Dean

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Just get him there...

Kali,
After riding at Middle Creek Kevin will A) Love you even more for making him go B) Be to darn tired to lay a hand on you:p C) Want to kill me for causing him to scratch his pretty, new bike.

I'm thinking a easy warm up in the morning - similar to what we rode before lunch - with the whole group & then splitting up into a fast & slow group after lunch. It's your job to get Kevin there - and it better be early enough to get a good ride in after 'lunch'.....

Brian

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
I hope I'll fall under the 'fast' category after all the riding I'll be doing saturday :p

my bike was running pretty weird out there last weekend.. should I rejet it to run richer or leaner with the altitude out there? I'm guessing its between 3000'-5000' feet..

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
kx100,
Altitude ranges from ~2000ft down at Middle Creek CG to ~6000ft at Elk Mtn & Goat Mtn (Stonyford side). You were running rich - assuming you run clean at Metcalf & Hollister. I'd say drop the pilot & main 1 size - Fremontguy or dirt bike dave have suggestions? I don't mess with the XR or my WR when we ride up there & I'm lousy at jetting 2smokes so don't take what I said as gospel.

Brian

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
Brian,

Looks like Penny Pines is the OHV trail hub, where Deer Valley is just a developed campsite. Is there something missing on the map? How much longer a drive is it to Deer Valley or Penny Pines from Middle Creek?

Are there shaded campsites at Deer Valley and Penny Pines?

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
thanks for the tips Brian :) I was too lazy to rejet tonight :(

Jonala,
Deer Valley is a really nice camp site.. it's pretty shaded by the trees and they have barbecues, benches, fire rings, and two crappers. I would say it's about 20-30 minutes from Middle Creek because of the rough dirt road.
I've never been to Penny Pines so I can't say much about it.

Last edited:

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
John,
Penny Pines is right on Elk Mtn Rd/M10 - small undeveloped campground w/port-a-potties. Not a nice cg IMO. Sunday it looked like most people there were day users. Deer Valley cg is at the junction of 16N01 (Upper Deer Valley Rd) & 16N20 (Lower Deer Valley Rd). Take 16N01 - Trust me, just ask Kali. Deer Valley is a much nicer cg than Penny Pines - worth the ~15 extra minutes IMO. Trail 7 (not on map yet) parallels Upper Deer Valley Road & hooks into Trail 1.

Quoting the trail map - "If you seek a family riding experience with easy access to all trails ranging in difficulty level from novice to advanced, the Deer Valley CG is much more desirable."

For intermediate/advanced riders parking at Middle Creek CG reduces the drive time by ~30minutes. Trail 1 & 4 from Middle Creek CG up the hill are rated advanced but my wife rode up #1 the first time we went there. If you are dual sported you can up the road as well.

Hope to see you on Sunday.

Brian

kx100

Moron
May 7, 2001
The Directions:

take 101 North for about 100 miles, then you'll come on to CA-175 East.. ride that for about 17 miles until you come on to CA-29 North and ride that for about 11 miles.
Then you should see CA-20 and go east for about .5 miles.. on the left you should see Mendenhall Ave next to a pizza parlor and ride that for about a mile until you come to a stop sign, go to your left and go up about 14 miles and turn right on deer valley road (16N20) until you see the campgrounds.
on 16N20 the road will split into two sections stay to your right.. the left ride will result in a dead end.

if anyone has a better/quicker route please feel free to post ;)

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Kx100 and others - Much of Highway 175 is pretty twisty and slow going, especially if you are pulling a trailer. If you stay on Highway 101 north up to Highway 20 east, it is about 15-20 more miles driving but about the same amount of time and a much easier drive.

NVR FNSH

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2000
Dave beat me to it - Hwy 175 is great on a street bike. Can't believe you went that way - Yahoo! maps?

Anybody else gonna be there? Fremont guy, dirt bike dave?

Brian

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Brian,
Just sent my suspension off to Factory Connection, so I'm out of action for a little while.

BTW, the directions link on the D-36 page to Middle Creek sends you over 175 from the Bay Area. I went that way - once!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom