KXaggerator

~SPONSOR~
Feb 4, 2001
To set the stage this is regarding my ’98 KX250 (310). I am a 200 lbs. intermediate level HS / enduro rider. I have .43 in/lbs straight rate springs, 2.5 wt oil @ 135mm height, 15 clicks rebound, full out on the base valve (it helped some with the harshness in rough conditions). The forks have extended Pro Circuit Works bottoming cones. I have also made sure that there is no torsion on the fork legs. The bushings are perfect. The rear shock is awesome and it is set @ 95mm sag.

Overall, I like the action of my forks. The forks are great at speed, handle jumps well, and feel good on most trails. During the wet season I have no problems. The problem is that my forks are harsh on square edged and braking bumps. Recently I was in 1st and 2nd gear on a tight choppy course and my forks sent spikes hard enough through my arms to make my back hurt, and I was standing the whole time on that section. I have had my forks reworked twice by two different places and I am ready to take things in my own hands. I plan on mapping my valve stacks and buying an assortment of shims. My question is where to start, base or mid? I don’t want too many variables to muddy my results. I service my own, seals, fluids and bushings, so I have all of the tools for the job and have had the forks apart numerous times and I feel ready to take control of my destiny. Comments? Suggestions?

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Its hard to say as we dont know what the previous changes were.Also i cant remember how the 98 was valved std.I know my 98 125 KX was harsh as well-even when i changed to straight rate springs.The base and midvalve work as a team and either one(or both) could be the problem.I would try to lighten the base valving and see if its a step in the right direction.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom