Might Finally Take The Dive...With Your Help =)

Frankf300

Mar 8, 2007
I posted here a while back with all my "specs", but I think I've finally found a bike that I can afford. Here is my original thread: http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=148086

I started to give up on the whole search for a dirt bike after realizing there weren't many around in my price range. I've been doing some work to get some more mulla and I have my HS graduation next week, my Italian family always feels the need to make me richer on these types of events :nod: . Anyway, yesterday I saw an ad for a 1993 KDX200. There were no pictures with the ad, but he said it was in excellent condition. He's asking $700. i haven't contacted him yet because technically I don't have the money yet, next week I will lol. This price seems a little low, doesn't it? Either the guy doesn't know how to find Blue Book prices or there are some nasty problems with it.

Again, is this a realistic bike for me to learn on? Like I said before, I'm 5'6" and 164lbs. Is this bike to heavy for me, will it intimidate me and make me drop the sport? I see myself doing mostly woods riding, but that's when I'm 5 hours north at our cabin. At home, some kid decided to rip around on his quad in our woods, and make himself a nice little track in our property. So, screw me if I don't use it lol, it's our property. Can a KDX handle a few jumps on my nice little ready make track lol? I'm not talking anything big, it'd be the first jumping a bike, I jump quads, but don't expect me to be getting 20' of air in my backyard.

Lastly, what would I need from the seller to register and insure the bike? Where we ride in Tug Hill (NY) you need to be registered and insured to ride the trails. I don't want to buy a bike and than only be able to use it in my backyard.

Again, thanks for the help...I'm almost ready to jump into this crazy sport. :cool:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Price isn't that far out of line for a 93 ....
Yes it's a great bike to learn on, you'll enjoy it.
Yes, it can handle jumps, it just wouldn't be much fun on a MX track.
Can't tell ya about registering in NY.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Title signed over to you or a bill of sale is all you need to register it as an ATV in NY.

Be careful. The legality of Tug Hill is often misunderstood. Think of it more as a "tolerated" area. Just don't catch a DEC officer on a bad day.

Frankf300

Mar 8, 2007
WoodsRider said:
Title signed over to you or a bill of sale is all you need to register it as an ATV in NY.

Be careful. The legality of Tug Hill is often misunderstood. Think of it more as a "tolerated" area. Just don't catch a DEC officer on a bad day.

Depends where you're riding. Most of the town roads are 100% legal if you're registered and insured. Almost all seasonal roads are legal, state land sometimes becomes an issue. Some areas were closed, but they have since opened back up. Areas like Montague and West Turin. It's a matter of knowing what roads are legally open, just have to pick up a trail map at the local gas stations. That's the only reason we bought in Tug Hill, 100s of miles of legal sled and atv riding.

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Actually the DEC found a judge who ruled that towns could not open roads to ATV use. They were primarily concerned with the ADK park, but it was a state wide judgement. Most towns never took the signs down and most DEC officers don't care because most don't understand the laws and enforcement means more paperwork. All state owned land is closed to ATVs.

There is hope. The state is conducting and Economic Impact Study to determine the economic impact an ATV trail system would have in the upstate region.

Frankf300

Mar 8, 2007
WoodsRider said:
Actually the DEC found a judge who ruled that towns could not open roads to ATV use. They were primarily concerned with the ADK park, but it was a state wide judgement. Most towns never took the signs down and most DEC officers don't care because most don't understand the laws and enforcement means more paperwork. All state owned land is closed to ATVs.

There is hope. The state is conducting and Economic Impact Study to determine the economic impact an ATV trail system would have in the upstate region.

That's crazy...all this political crap lol. What they don't realize is that areas like Tug Hill would be nothing without those trails. If there were no sledders or ATVers going up there than there would be no income for the local businesses. Nobody is just going to take a ride to Tug Hill to go to Flat Rock and have a beer lol.

Top Bottom