jackdrinker

Apr 11, 2003
after looking at the sudco site per rich r., i found a mikuni pocket tuner. it shows recommended jetting for temp, alt and humidity. has anyone used this and is it reliable?
do you know of one for a kehin or are these interchangeable in information?
thanks,
jonathan

scroskrey

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, I have seen it. First of all, it assumes that you have a correctly jetted carb. to start with. (All circuits) It then is merely an altitude / temperature compensating scale. It should only be used as a "guide". It is only dealing with the main circuit also. So... say you have a 400 main jet installed and the bike is running perfect. Tomorrow you go out to ride and it is 10 deg. warmer. Look at the scale and it may say to drop the main one size. But wait, tomorrow you'll also be 4000 feet lower in altitude. Therefore, go 2 mains larger. Net result = 1 main larger for the ride. I guess it would be useful as a learning tool for those with less experience with jetting. I think that the average person will soon know these adjustments by heart after a season of riding.

sc

D36-108A

~SPONSOR~
Dec 3, 2002
Is that the sliding card-in-a-sleeve thingy? I've got one and just recently consulted it to try to help figure out my CR250 (TMX) carburetion. Not very useful.

scroskrey

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, that's the one. Anymore, I only use it when I have a huge temp. or altitude change and even at that, it's just to get me in the ballpark. For fine tuning or "dialing in", it's pretty useless. I've got the 01 CR250 and have virtually every main, pilot, needle jet, needle and slide available. I have found that a 10 deg. temp change will require a jetting adjustment. Same for a 2000 foot elevation change. I live in Vegas and ride year round. I'm no expert but will gladly share what I've learned.

Top Bottom