bleed red

Jan 8, 2001
Just wondering if anyone has the 36mm Mikuni Pumper Carb on an XR 400? Want to know the pluses and minuses if there are any...
The price is $370.00 from XR's Only and this is a big chunk of change for me, so I want to find out as much as possible before buying...
Thanks in advance.

chopair

Nov 23, 2001
I bought the Mikuni first. I kept it for about three months, and then tried the Edelbrock Quiksilver carb. I like it much better. I have an XR416 and an XR300. They both have QS carbs. RH

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
What was better on the QS over the Mikuni? The DR350 dirt only model comes stock with the 36mm Mikuni pumper and I have seen a few listed on E-bay for a good price (a lot less than 370)

bleed red

Jan 8, 2001
I would be interested if the Edelbrock is a pumper carb, and what was better about it...Also if anyone knows if the Suzuki 36mm pumper carb will bolt on to my XR 400? I am going to check e-bay for better prices.

Lobster

Jan 7, 2002
The DR's come stock with a 33mm pumper. I have a DR350, I stuck a 400cc piston in it and a 36mm non-pumper Mikuni. A friend of mine has an XR400 with the QS carb on it. He seems to like it over the stock carb, but for some reason it's bear to start sometimes. I've been known to have to pull start him when the temps get into the 20's and below.

Funny thing is, he sold me the DR!!

bleed red

Jan 8, 2001
One of the things I have heard and like about the Mikuni is the easy starting! Doesn't sound like anyone out there rides XR400's or do not have this upgrade....oh well. It's only $$$

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
If you do a search, this topic has been discussed at length. The Mikuni is my prefered set-up, but be prepared to bit of fidling with the tuning. You should be able to find lot's of info, with a search.

euro gasgas

Sponsoring Member
Sep 18, 2001
I have run a keihin fcr on my xr300 - IMHO the keihin is superior to the mikuni pumper. For that amount of money, I would opt for a keihin fcr over the mikuni. At the time, the keihin didn't have an enrichening circuit (choke) - you roll the throttle twice to "prime it", no throttle while kicking and then roll the throttle on on off slightly while cold (the accelerator pump will provide extra fuel needed to enrichen the mixture when cold).

The only time I had trouble starting it was when I turned down the throttle too much - too little air past the slide and heavy vacuum made it really rich and I wet-fouled a plug.

jeff
'01 gasgas ec300
www.gasgasrider.org GasGas Rider's Club

Top Bottom