drisheavy

Nov 24, 2002
Hi I am considering a kdx 200 or 220 somewhere between 93 and 99. those are years I will be able to afford give or take. I ride a four stroke now but am a ( no alot ) little tired of the excess weight. I came down to two alternatives a ktm 300 or a kdx> I ride long distance off road and will street legalize what ever I get, trailers stink. so here is the 99$ question. How far wil a 200 or 220 go on a stock tank of gas, I'll get a dez tank later. thank you all for your response team green. jammin jer

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Expect about 20-25 MPG. But that can vary by terrain.  Super tight single track or virgin trail riding will reduce that.

TransAm77

Feb 10, 2002
Depending on where I ride (tight woods, dunes, street, open fields), I usually get 45-90 miles before hitting reserve. But when I hit reserve I probably don't have enough gas to get back and refuel.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
KDX fuel milage will also depend on modifications. I noticed my fuel milage drop off after the RB-Designs carb mod and the EG225 bore & porting. I do not know exactly what i am getting now - but i do know that i am having to refuel much sooner.

Boot

Jun 11, 2002
Assuming that the fuel tanks are about the same size, you should go quite a bit further on a KDX tankful than a KTM300 for any given terrain.

I've read a couple of magazine tests that have mentioned just how much thirstier the 300 is even compared to KTM's own 250 and 200.

I know that KTM has dropped down to a 9 litre tank this year. I have a feeling that they used to be around 10 litres (2.64, now 2.38 US gallons).

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
1. Get an H model (95+).

2. MPG varies too much to even be a discussion point. My low: 25, high: 75.

There are aftermarket fuel tanks that are larger. They aren't cheap, either. ....guess that's the 'dez' comment???

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
We just did a long distance ride a couple of weeks ago.I have a 94 Kdx 200 with the stock 12 liter tank(3.17Gal).We were riding logging roads with some cross ditches.I was worried about the distance we were to ride so brought along a extra 4 liter(1 gal) fuel can of premix strapped to the rear of the seat.All the other guys were on 4-strokes.The total distance we rode was 211 kms(131 miles) and I did the whole thing without using any of the spare gas.This works out to around 17 kms per liter or 41 miles per gallon,This varries greatly in trail riding but on a logging road or city street I think you should see fairly close to equal distance depending on how many lights you hit and how aggresive you are on the throttle of course.I believe the newer bikes have smaller tank (11 liter I think) My bike has the stock gearing,FMF pipe and a Answer silencer. :thumb:

drisheavy

Nov 24, 2002
thank you all very much for the milage remarks on the kdx, if I can get 70 miles or more on he stocker tank I will be very impressed. the local dealer said they all average between 60 and 90 so with my light weight and a desert tank I should be able to go over a 100 which is great compared to any other 2 stroke I can think of .thanks again for the time you all took to write .dirtbikers rule the planet

Top Bottom