DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
I broke down my forks last night to replace a blown fork seal and the oil in that particular fork leg was very milky, which usually indicates that there was water in there (I guess). The other fork's oil looked fresh. The forks were re-sealed with new oil immediately before I bought the bike. How did the water get in there? Powerwashing?

I put this in this forum b/c I also wanted to ask for recommendations on oil level in the forks. I have a 2001 YZ 125 and no mods have been done to the forks. Stock 41 springs and stock valves. I plan on running Silkolene 2.5 wt fork oil, but I need to find the right level. When I broke the good fork down, the level was 71 mm from the top of the outer tube. However, the manual says it should be b/w 80-150mm. Could the excess oil be what caused the seal to blow on my second ride? What level would you guys recommend for track riding (40-50ft doubles, etc). I weigh about 175 lbs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

dklink2000

Damn Yankees
Feb 18, 2002
My guess would be powerwashing. It is very bad for the bike, pushes water past the seals and gaskets. Bit I have to admit, I do it all the time.

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
Did you measure the oil level with the fork spring in or out. The spring should be out of the fork. I usually run my fork oil level around 110 mm, it's a good starting point. After that, you can ride the bike and adjust the oil level up or down to suite you. You can add oil through the air bleeder with a syringe to raise the oil level.

DAVE C

Dec 21, 2001
I measured it with the spring out. I replaced the oil to a level of 130mm measured from the top of the outside tube. I haven't had a chance to ride it yet, but I guess I will have to play around with the level a bit. Thanks.

Top Bottom