trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Hey everyone,
I've been given some time in my turning and milling class for my own projects. The thing is I'm short of ideas. First thing that came to my mind was a new chain guard for my Honda. I also thought about 1-1/2'' top clamps since I'm currently running with a universal kit set on top of my standard 7/8'' clamps, but those must be quite difficult to make. Any ideas? It may be something that won't get on the bike too...

Thanks for any input!

junkjeeps

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2001
How bout a billet top clamp? Or billet brackets to move your handguard mounts to the triple clamp?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
junkjeeps, my hand guards are fixed with/on brake and clutch levers and absolutely love them. Haven't broken one since I own the bike. I could make aluminum brackets for them, but plastic is just fine.

A cup holder? Don't know if you are being funny, but I never find any use for them except collecting dust.

Anyone knows how to make the rounded edges of a a top clamp on conventional machines? I like the top clamps idea.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Stainless steel seal collars for your axles.

Bar mounts would be quite simple to make, you just won't be able to do anything fancy. Lots of curves and rounded edges would be difficult on a hand-operated mill but a basic/bulky set of bar mounts would not be exceedingly difficult.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Think about the little stuff. I think the collars are a great idea since you have the handguard issue resolved. What about a case saver? shark fin? adjuster blocks?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Patman said:
Think about the little stuff. I think the collars are a great idea since you have the handguard issue resolved. What about a case saver? shark fin? adjuster blocks?

Adjuster blocks! Great idea Patman, mine are so worn out I can't even see the center mark on them any more. As for the seal collars, you're not talking about wheel spacers are you? Please pardon my ignorance again :bang:, but what's a shark fin?

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I took a machining class last spring. I made some stainless steel wheel spacers and some handlebar mounts with integrated barkbuster mounts (similar to Bonz mounts). Neither project was too difficult on manual machines. For radiusing edges, you'll be able to do it on a milling machine if you have the right bit, otherwise it can be done by hand with a file.

Axle blocks, wheel spacers, case saver and bar mounts are all great project ideas.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
This may sound odd, but how about a putter head??

I want to make my own wood shafted putter for years.
I have a 1" X 1" X 40" piece of Hickory that I have wanted to turn down on my wood lathe to make a putter shaft. Never got around to it because I have been trying to find someone to make the putter head itself.

What do you think???????

Mully

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Yup stainless spacers would not wear nearly as easily as the stock ones keep more gook out of your bearings. If you were thinking ahead you might even put a little larger lip on the outside to help ward off some grunge from the seal. A shark fin protects the rear rotor, like this http://www.unlimiteddynamics.com/data/4S/4SSF-GAS-R.jpg

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Mully said:
This may sound odd, but how about a putter head??

I want to make my own wood shafted putter for years.
I have a 1" X 1" X 40" piece of Hickory that I have wanted to turn down on my wood lathe to make a putter shaft. Never got around to it because I have been trying to find someone to make the putter head itself.

What do you think???????

Mully

I think it would be pretty amusing. How would you want your putter head to look? I'll have more free courses near the end of the semester so when I finish my parts for the motorcycle I could always give a try to the putter head and ship it to you.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
Patman said:
Yup stainless spacers would not wear nearly as easily as the stock ones keep more gook out of your bearings. If you were thinking ahead you might even put a little larger lip on the outside to help ward off some grunge from the seal. A shark fin protects the rear rotor, like this http://www.unlimiteddynamics.com/data/4S/4SSF-GAS-R.jpg

Sweet stuff! Thanks patman.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
front master cylinder cover??
could you also turn out your own levers like the asv billets???
a little grinding would round off the edges on the top clamp for bars?

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
sparkysakitas said:
front master cylinder cover??
could you also turn out your own levers like the asv billets???
a little grinding would round off the edges on the top clamp for bars?

I figured that part out: A tool with a form on the mill should do the trick, just need to find the right tool. Thanks for all ideas!

Last edited:

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
trial_07 said:
I figured that part out: A tool with a form on the mill should do the trick, just need to find the right tool. Thanks for all ideas!
no problem just remeber us all when you become big aftermarket bling manufaturer :) good luck with projects and classes :cool:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom